What's new

A Wordy Review of Three Popular Scuttles

Like many here, I have searched for The Perfect Scuttle. Of course "perfect" for one man is not necessarily perfect for another.

During my search I have purchased and used extensively the Georgetown Pottery V3, The Dirty Bird and the Sara Bonnyman "Moss".

In the interest of giving something back to the community I thought it might be helpful to write my impressions of these three, popular scuttles. I hope this is useful to a few of you.

Here's how they stacked up for me and my morning routine.

First of all, I prefer my brush and lather temp to be *just* below the point at which the lather will start to break down so....more "hot" than warm. With that being the case, I don't find any of these scuttle particularly effective with plain old, hot tap water. Of course, this will depend on just how hot your tap water is, but I figure it's much more cost effective, as well as safer for my children and more environmentally conscientious, to microwave my scuttle water for 3 minutes every morning rather than leave my water heater cranked higher than I can use for a shower.

My tap water measures 178º......yours, certainly, may vary. Water boils, at sea level at 212º
[EDIT]it's been pointed out below that my stated tap water temp seems high so I will recheck with a more accurate measuring device and update ASAP.

My Sonicare toothbrush takes exactly 2 minutes to do its thing so actually......this works out just about right. I place a full, 16oz Pyrex measuring cup full of water in my microwave before going to bed in the evening and then after my shower I hit START before brushing my teeth.

So, having established that, in my opinion, near boiling water is needed for *any* of these scuttles to keep your brush and lather nicely warm during a 3-4 pass shave let's move on to the pros and cons of each of these three popular warming vessels.

The first scuttle I purchased was the simply drop-dead gorgeous Georgetown V3. It was, in fact, the incredible glaze on these scuttles that led me to try this one first. The V3 is as far removed from a hobbiest piece of pottery as you could ask for. This is clearly a serious piece of clay, shaped and glazed by a master potter.

This is one very photogenic scuttle:
proxy.php

Considering the quality of the work, this scuttle at $42.00 plus around $8.00 shipping seems like the scuttle deal of the century.

The folks at G'Town really know how to throw clay and do beautiful, stunning glaze work. It's a gorgeous piece of pottery that is expertly crafted, heavy and satisfying in the hand and makes a lovely knick knack in your master bathroom. Unfortunately, this is where the love affair with this scuttle ended for me.

I found that the combination of a small reservoir....less than 6 ounces......and a thickly walled inner bowl rendered this scuttle essentially useless as a warming vessel. With full-on boiling water I could get luke warm lather for one pass, After that I was right back to an essentially room temp lather and brush.

Because I was truly enamored with the beauty of the V3, I contacted Georgetown to discuss what I felt were the pros and cons of their scuttle.

I showered the very nice woman who answered the phone at G'Town Pottery with praise for the quality and aesthetics of the piece, but then diplomatically stated that I felt the scuttle needed a larger reservoir and thinner inner wall to actually be effective.

I was very nice about this, she seemed very interested in my opinion and said she would discuss this with their "master potter" and get back to me. After a week had passed without a return phone call and knowing how busy folks are these days I decided to simply write an email to Georgetown explaining my experiences both positive and negative with their design and suggesting a larger water capacity and thinner inner wall.

I never got a response.

Fair enough........they apparently are not looking for feedback or input and that's their right so......I let it go. And I sold the V3.

If you love gorgeous pottery and your goal is to add a decoration to your bathroom then you will enjoy owning the Georgetown V3 scuttle; if you are looking for an effective way to keep your lather and brush warm, I'd recommend taking a pass.

During the time that I owned the V3 I began reading more and more about a woman in Nova Scotia named Sara Bonneyman who had worked with an avid wetshaver, Dr. Moss, to create a scuttle said to be very effective by all who reviewed it.
proxy.php

Based on web photo's, I wasn't initially as drawn to the aesthetics of the Bonneyman/Moss as I was to the G'Town, but my primary goal was hot lather and brush for 15-20 minutes via a hand thrown piece of pottery dedicated to that task so I decided to contact Sara and order one of her scuttles to compare to the V3.

The purchase price of this scuttle was a tad higher at $60.00USD than most of Sara's competitors, but it was the shipping that really hurt. The shipping quote was not part of the checkout process other than a note that states "Shipping costs are exact postage plus 5.00 for packing."

I had no idea that S&H would add about $25.00 to my ultimate cost for this scuttle but, Sara isn't getting rich off of her shipping charges; she packs her scuttles very well and it is, after all, a fairly lengthy trip from Nova Scotia to my home in North Carolina. If you live in the US and you want a Moss, you have to pay to have it delivered. This is the *only* downside to purchasing a Bonneyman/Moss scuttle.

I've had a few email exchanges with Sara and she is a pleasant and responsive person to do business with and obviously takes pride in her work.

Upon receiving my Bonneyman/Moss I was actually very pleased with the aesthetics. It has such clean, simple lines that I found it *appealing* initially and that its simplicity became elegance once I began to live with it.

Have you ever noticed how a piece of music that grabs you immediately may be one that you grow tired of quickly, but that a song that takes several listens to get in to becomes a part of your life; music that is timeless and that you never tire of?

The Bonneyman/Moss is like the latter; it grows on you until eventually you discover its perfect harmony and begin to realize that it is a work of art that you may never tire of.

The glaze is not as fancy as the G'Town's, but it is a different style of pottery from an artist with a different vision and I find it very attractive if not quite the initial jaw dropper that the G'Town scuttle is.

Okay, so the purchase price of the Bonneyman/Moss is a little higher, though in my estimation reasonable and the shipping expense may be a deal breaker for some, but it is a very finely crafted piece of pottery that for me at least has a beauty that goes beyond skin deep.

How does it perform?

In a word, fabulously. The bowl is not really large enough to lather in, but this is okay because I prefer to lather in a separate lather bowl (also a Bonneyman by the way).

This scuttle warms your lather and brush incredibly well and holds that heat seemingly forever. Even on my lazy, Saturday morning shaves during which I use a straight razor and really take my time to enjoy the shaving ritual, this scuttle has no problem keeping both lather and brush warm for 20 minutes provided you have filled the generous 14oz reservoir (aprox) with near boiling water.

So at this point I have a well made, attractive scuttle that is very effective and I should be satisfied. Nope.......unfortunately I keep surfing around B&B and I discover another scuttle........the Dirty Bird.

After my friend Wayne Truitt purchased one and loaned it to me for a week or so I decided I'd like to own one of these as well.
proxy.php

I placed an order for the DB and received it promptly within 10 or so days of placing the order. Like the Georgetown, the DB runs a very reasonable $42.00 plus around $8.00 shipping.

Aesthetically, this scuttle is closer to the Georgetown. The clay work is not as over-the-top (if that matters to you) and the glazing not as intense, but it is a nicely made piece with an attractive glaze and is also, like the Bonneyman/Moss, much more effective than the G'Town.

The Dirty Bird's bowl is large enough to lather in if that's your preference and the large (14-16oz) reservoir and reasonably thin inner wall allows this scuttle to retain heat as well as the Bonneyman/Moss.

The owner of Dirty Bird Pottery, Julie Moore, is a real pleasure to deal with. From PM's that she and I exchanged recently she is obviously very concerned about feedback from this community and making sure that she is creating an effective scuttle that will work well for wet shavers.
This goes along way with me and I have no problems recommending the Dirty Bird scuttle very highly. It is reasonably priced, nicely made and effective. It's the bang-for-buck entry in this shootout.

Ultimately though, my pick was the Bonneyman/Moss.

The Georgetown, as previously stated, just didn't get the job done for me; its combination of small reservoir, thick inner wall and beautiful, but heavy glaze does not allow enough heat to transfer through to the lather and brush. The Bonneyman/Moss and Dirty Bird are equally effective so you essentially will choose one over the other based on aesthetics and, potentially, price.

Regardless of which scuttle you choose though, you shouldn't spend another dime on your shaving kit until you purchase a scuttle. I feel that the warm lather and brush add immeasurably to the enjoyment of a good wet shave.

I hope this is helpful and please feel free to reply or PM me with any questions!

Very honest, thorough review -- and great pics to boot! This should definitely help anyone trying to decide between the 3 most popular scuttles out there.

Thanks for the reviews!!!

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
WONDERFUL review Stu!!! I was fortunate to be "gifted" a Sara Bonneyman "Moss" scuttle by fellow member PatrickD in early 2007. The package arrived as thanks from Patrick and I have cherished it as one of my favorite items in my modest shave den. I have not tried any of the other two you reviewed but would AGREE that the Sara Scuttle is a FANTASTIC addition to my experience shaving most every morning. I have used it quite a bit lately as I have gone to using soaps 95% of the time and it keeps my Plisson's warm and soapy!

Again Stu, thanks for the excellent post!

Nice review! I was "gifted" :wink: a "Moss" scuttle from my father for Christmas this past year. I found it to be a joy during the cold NY winters but dont really see the point during the summer. However, fall is here and its out of my shave locker. I even had one of my roommates use it last week and he really enjoyed it. The only down side they are a pain to get in the states!

Truly excellent work, Stu, and quite in line with my own thoughts, as I own both a Georgetown G3 and a Moss. The Moss is the winner for keeping lather warm, hands down. If you're looking for a good lather bowl, however, Georgetown's lather bowls (both covered and uncovered, though I prefer the former) can't be beat!

I do love the look of the Moss, and the fact that is made in canada is an incentive (no crossing through customs!), I like the size of the dirty bird. I would prefer to have a larger bowl in order to make the lather, so Ill have to decide when I finally get one :biggrin:

I have the Georgetown scuttle and I agree that it does not keep the lather warm on its own, but I set it in my sink full of hot water and it keeps the lather just warm enough!:wink:

I have been fortunate enough to obtain a Bonnyman kettle and mixing bowl. I just love using them and have for the better part of a year now. Just a pleasure to use.

Thanks Stu for the review! It will be a big help for those in the market for a kettle.

Take Care,
Richard

tyvm for the info and your experience with these models. I keep on saying I will get one and now is a good time.

Nice work Stu. I agree with your assessment of the Moss. I have been using a small Moss for over a year now and it is great. Mine works fine with hot tap water. :smile:

Great review and BEAUTIFUL photos. I agree about the G town. Gorgeous is the only word to describe it. I do have one question. Is your tap water really 178F? If so, you are definitely in the scalding range. Just asking since that is super hot for domestic water heaters.

Regards, Todd

Thank you for the review. I have been looking into adding the Dirty Bird to my quiver. Your review has helped me decide.

4 star review.

Now normally, after a great review , I would rush right out and purchase the product-but not this time!(only because i already have an order in for the DirtyBird!)RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!

marty

Great review. I'd be curious to hear a head-to-head comparison with some of the German-made scuttles that I've read about on B&B.

I'm glad to see that so many are enjoying this review and maybe even finding it useful. Thanks for reading and for commenting!

I do have one question. Is your tap water really 178F? If so, you are definitely in the scalding range. Just asking since that is super hot for domestic water heaters.

Regards, Todd

:redface:
I was afraid I might get "busted" on that one. The only way I had to try and measure the tap water temp was with a digital people thermometer which is, of course, not designed to measure temperatures that high.

When I saw how close the reading was to boiling I wondered if that could possibly be accurate.

I have a buddy with an infrared temp gun.....I'll borrow it next week and update the review with a more accurate number just for the sake of getting this review as *right* as possible.

For now I'll say that my water is definitely below scalding level, but probably just barely. I like a very hot shower in the mornings.:smile:

Thanks for the comments!

Fabulous review! I own basically the same G3 and have the same thoughts on its performance. I have thinking about getting the Dirty Bird being that she is here in Atlanta but just havent made the plunge.

Top Bottom