What's new

SOTD- sheng of the day

The '08 Xiaguan FT mushroom was, as always, scrumptious. The '06 CNNP 5961 didn't fare nearly as well- completely flat. In fairness, I should revisit it on a day when I hadn't already consumed one of my favorites, though it may not fare any better.

You'd think I wouldn't be thirsty at this point, but I treated myself to one of my two remaining '86 Moutons, pictured in the center.
full

100 points by any standards. 1986 was magnificent for Paulliac in general, and the big boys did extremely well. This wine required the simplest of food- grilled chicken and potatoes. It's not often that I have the opportunity to enjoy a great one any more.

What can I say? Man does not live by pu'er alone.

I am not a wine drinker. I am allergic to alcohol but those bottles invoke a great curisocity in me. Those must cost a fortune. You're really living life, sir!

Last edited by a moderator:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I am not a wine drinker. I am allergic to alcohol but those bottles invoke a great curisocity in me. Those must cost a fortune. You're really living life, sir!

I had the good fortune of getting them when they were cheap(er).

The '08 Xiaguan FT mushroom was, as always, scrumptious. The '06 CNNP 5961 didn't fare nearly as well- completely flat. In fairness, I should revisit it on a day when I hadn't already consumed one of my favorites, though it may not fare any better.

You'd think I wouldn't be thirsty at this point, but I treated myself to one of my two remaining '86 Moutons, pictured in the center.
full

100 points by any standards. 1986 was magnificent for Paulliac in general, and the big boys did extremely well. This wine required the simplest of food- grilled chicken and potatoes. It's not often that I have the opportunity to enjoy a great one any more.

What can I say? Man does not live by pu'er alone.
Nice! Drink up while you can enjoy them! Your phone call must not have gotten through, otherwise I would have made it over. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
My brother gave me that exact Taylors 83 for Christmas - I've not opened it yet, waiting for our dining room table to arrive so that we can enjoy it with friends. I miss eating at a dinner table... Such are the joys of moving house. :)

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Today: 2008 Menghai 7542-801. You can't go far wrong with this simple, aggressive little number.

It's like being punched in the face by an old friend. Marvellous stuff.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

ouch

My brother gave me that exact Taylors 83 for Christmas - I've not opened it yet, waiting for our dining room table to arrive so that we can enjoy it with friends. I miss eating at a dinner table... Such are the joys of moving house. :)

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

It's not ready yet. :lol:

The 83's (very good vintage) still need some time, whereas the 85's are already nice. Some of the 77's (and 70's) aren't ready either.

If you don't know anything about port, Taylor is the no brainer brand to buy (okay, along with Fonseca). It should be terrific. Enjoy!

Grassy, solid sheng, tabbaco, on the middle range taste profile or a bit high. Nice standard tea. Overall, taste strangely hallow as if something is missing… I think the body is missing, the backbone taste profile isn’t there. The texture was quite thin and slightly sharp. Not sure I like this tea. I enjoyed the Big Classic more, I think.

ouch

My friends are sensitive, charming, urbane, witty, gentle, caring, and overwhelmingly violent. What's not to like?

:ihih:

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Why didn't you say you were from New Jersey?

That reminds me of the old Fred Stoller joke- I heard that kissing a smoker is like licking an ashtray. That's good to know if I'm ever lonely.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NBokQCNBTg[/YOUTUBE]

'08 Menghai 7582 (801)
The darker, original formula that would someday become 8582. (What the hell do I know?) I like it. It's another example of a simple but authentic, value priced tea from one of my favorite producers. I need a tong.

Potent tea but just a bit too bitter for me to drink now. Not as sweet as menghai area leaves. I had mixed feelings about this tea. I thought this tea would benefit much from a slight wet-storage for couple years.

* Colour: Just amber. Was looking for darker
* Taste: astringent, bitter, sweet, too bitter to drink now. Has that mellowed out taste of Banna storage yet it feels like this year's. Profile on middle to slight high.
* Texture: thin, medium feel, clean.
* Huigan & Aftertaste: nice, noticeable, floral, green puerh, no weakening by the Banna storage.
* Body Feel: good, slightly calming, some cooling
* Wet Leaves Looks: quite mixed. Some are more darker. Some look of this year’s harvest. Not all are of 05 but mixed together, I think. If it was not, it must had some seriously uneven storage.

* Lesson Learned: Bulang has that sharp bitterness. It was unique in its taste that the bitterness ran quite sharply from the initial touch to the aftertaste with mild sweetness. Noticeably different from the Menghai cakes I tasted.

2004 Langhe 7569 Pu-erh Tea shop sample.

Leaves dark with medium compression.
Smokey woodsey smell from the rinse.
Infusion is dark and clear.
Mouthfeel is excellent with sweetness and hint of plums.
Slight astringency.

This was an enjoyable tea but rather uninteresting.

Very drinkable but I don't believe I would purchase any additional. There are many others out there that are more interesting.

Top Bottom