What's new

Shavemac problem

So today, I give my bristles a gentle squeeze--no ringing or pulling and a shake and crack--one half of the bristles--still attached to the eboxy pop out into the sink. Damn!

It's just about 2 years old--I think. A 25 mm Handmade jobber no less!

I e-mailed Berndt--he's on holiday for about 3 weeks!

Very sad

Glad I ordered the new LE and still have my 2006.

Any similar experiences?

Sorry to hear that! I'm sure that Bernd will take care of you, but the three week holiday doesn't make things easier right now. Please let us know how this situation turns out.

Two e-mails so far. Five days after sending problem with my brush and no response from Shavemac other than an automated--we're out on Holiday until the 25th.

I'm getting annoyed.

That's a bummer. No I have never had problems with Shavemac. I have used their brushes for the past 4 years. I'm sure Bernd will fix it for you.

Two e-mails so far. Five days after sending problem with my brush and no response from Shavemac other than an automated--we're out on Holiday until the 25th.

I'm getting annoyed.

Germans take their holidays extremely seriously.

If they are on holiday or just back from one, I'd cut them some slack. I for one don't check anything work related when on vacation! FWIIW, I had a problem with my first Shavemac and Bernd fixed it very quickly. The turn around time was remarkable, actually.

Exact same experience with my Shavemac. Just finished shaving, was shaking out the brush and heard a thump on the floor. Look down, 3/4 of my knot had fallen out. Similar to yours, I still had epoxy at the base keeping all the bristles together. I glued it back together and now its fine. But still, it shouldn't have fallen out in the first place.

Is it just me, or do I only hear about knots falling out of Shavemacs? Other posts I've read about knots falling out always include something like "I dropped it and chipped the handle and the knot fell out." Not like the "I was shaking the water out" that I read about the shavemacs.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim, I'm hoping that's a new Plisson turnback ... :001_huh:

Nope it popped right out a while back, The point being its not a "shavemac" problem.

The Shavemac shop is a small operation and it can take some time to get back to us. The upside of a small operation is that you get personal service.

Jim,

Are the Plisson knots made differently than other brushes?

I'm just curious, the Plisson knot almost looks like the metal cup is "pinched" around the base of the knot. Is this the only thing holding the knot in, or is it also glued?

The shavemacs are just glued into the handle, no metal cup like your Plisson. When my shavemac knot fell out the glue just sheared in half right at the base of the badger hair.

I did get an e-mail and request to return the brush to Gernmany. Minimum cost to ship the brush was 40 dollars--max was 89. Decided not worth it.

So I turned to the trusted Gorilla Glue. I used a bit excess amount to get it to try to foam into any crevices--foam up and expand and rewater seal the knot. My plan worked to near perfection. I put the glue in--added a touch of water--a set in the broken portion of the know--the glue explanded and moved up somewhat into the exposed base of the knot--decreaded the loft of the know 4 mm--but didn't onto a visible part of the handle--but I've used it three times since the intervention and pretty darn good. Performance is as good as ever--frankly maybe a bit better with a touch less loft--and without close study--repair site is hard to see. When sopping wet the area there the glue did not rise up as I had hopes (not symetrical injury to fix) moves a bit differently than the repaired part but at the working level of water saturations--can't see than effect.

Thanks for the update. I figured Bernd would offer to take care of you. Glad your fix worked (at substantial postage savings -- I assume you weren't looking at USPS). Ain't Gorilla Glue wonderful?! :smile:

I did get an e-mail and request to return the brush to Gernmany. Minimum cost to ship the brush was 40 dollars--max was 89. Decided not worth it.

So I turned to the trusted Gorilla Glue. I used a bit excess amount to get it to try to foam into any crevices--foam up and expand and rewater seal the knot. My plan worked to near perfection. I put the glue in--added a touch of water--a set in the broken portion of the know--the glue explanded and moved up somewhat into the exposed base of the knot--decreaded the loft of the know 4 mm--but didn't onto a visible part of the handle--but I've used it three times since the intervention and pretty darn good. Performance is as good as ever--frankly maybe a bit better with a touch less loft--and without close study--repair site is hard to see. When sopping wet the area there the glue did not rise up as I had hopes (not symetrical injury to fix) moves a bit differently than the repaired part but at the working level of water saturations--can't see than effect.

I just sent a brush back to Shavemac, it was like $8 USPS first class

???????

Jim,

Are the Plisson knots made differently than other brushes?

I'm just curious, the Plisson knot almost looks like the metal cup is "pinched" around the base of the knot. Is this the only thing holding the knot in, or is it also glued?

The shavemacs are just glued into the handle, no metal cup like your Plisson. When my shavemac knot fell out the glue just sheared in half right at the base of the badger hair.
I have read that the genuine horn handled Plissons have the traditional tied knot while the others have the bristles cut and glued into the cup. On the none horn brushes you can see the ring at the top of the handle.

I just sent a brush back to Shavemac, it was like $8 USPS first class

???????

Wow--I took it to a UPS store and they quoted me 40 dollars for USPS! He told me there was a few dollar surcharge--32 and a few don't translate IMO

Next time I got stright to the post office!

MJB

Wow--I took it to a UPS store and they quoted me 40 dollars for USPS! He told me there was a few dollar surcharge--32 and a few don't translate IMO

Next time I got stright to the post office!

MJB

usps.com provides a decent shipping cost calculator, including international (the name of the country is all they require). You need to figure out the right ballpark for the package's weight, but it'll give you a decent indication of what things will cost.

Then again, with that glue, shipping your brush to Germany is quite unlikely to be required anytime in the next 50 or so years. :smile:

I sent the brush to Shavemac on Tuesday.

I recieved an email from Bernd that the new brush is already on it's way!

GO SHAVEMAC!:biggrin:

Top Bottom