What's new

Discuss Weleda ASB

TJ
Very nice job on the review!
I see that it has Chamomile in the formulation, how much of a mint/menthol scent does it have?

On the strength of your review I'm going to try and find this product as I'm in search of one more ASB. I'm concerned about using a product with alcohol though. I NEVER like alcohol in them. For some reason they seem like the antithesis of what should be something to moisturize and heal your skin.

Perhaps this will be the first one that I like. Thank you for the review.

I've used Weleda AS balm for quite some time. Indeed a good product, though perhaps a bit greasy during a hot summer. I just have a huge problem with the scent: it reminds me too much of mosquito lotion (lemon or even more what we in Dutch call 'citroenmelisse' -don't know the English) to enjoy it. I like the smell of Weleda's shaving cream much better, sort of spicy lavender, but unfortunately it doesn't lather too good. Oh well...

Goosemeplease said:
TJ
Very nice job on the review!
I see that it has Chamomile in the formulation, how much of a mint/menthol scent does it have?

I would say no mint/menthol scent at all. I would categorize the scent as a neutral "natural" smell. The scent fades within 30 minutes of application anyhow, so another strength of this ASB is that it doesn't clash with your EDT for the day.

As for being sticky/greasy in the summer, using less should minimize and most likely eliminate that phenomenon.

jduffy said:
On the strength of your review I'm going to try and find this product as I'm in search of one more ASB. I'm concerned about using a product with alcohol though. I NEVER like alcohol in them. For some reason they seem like the antithesis of what should be something to moisturize and heal your skin.

Perhaps this will be the first one that I like. Thank you for the review.

There's no doubt about it, this does contain alcohol, but this is definitely not an "alcohol-based" aftershave. It is for sure, a balm.

This product does have an expiration date. It does not contain any chemicals or harmful preservatives (i.e. parabens) which most balms do contain (and a big reason I don't typically go for balms). Most people care less about chemicals etc. and I doubt parabens will kill you or give you cancer, but I just feel better about using all-natural products especially when using them every day on freshly shaven skin.

The alcohol in this product is used as a preservate for the other contents, namely the natural botanicals. It definitely does not dry your skin out at all. This is from Weleda website:

Alcohol
Alcohol is derived through the fermentation of starch, sugar and other carbohydrates. It can be used to extract and preserve botanicals.

* Weleda uses organic grain alcohol cultivated in Italy. The alcohol is heated and distilled, which kills the wheat protein, known as gluten. Therefore, our alcohol is gluten-free.

Just a big ol' +1 to Weleda ASB. Tried it for the first time this morning, and WOW. It's pretty freakin' amazing. Granted, I didn't have much razor burn, if any, probably thanks to my Taylor's Avocado (mmmmmmm....guacamole), but while the other ASBs & ASLs I've tried (Nivea, Nutragena, Gilette orange bottle sport whatever stuff, Every Man Jack) either did nothing or made my face less burn-y, this one actually felt good.

I probably used too much, though, as I still feel it on my face 20 minutes later (the fact that it's 98 degrees and holy-crap humid here today isn't helping), but Wow.

I've just bought a bottle of this stuff.Does anyone know what purpose the little plastic stopper is supposed to serve,i've removed mine,but am left wondering if im missing something.P.s. They sell a lot of this at Napiers herbalists here in the UK.

Top Bottom