What's new

Spirit of the Month Suggestion Thread

This is a general thread for anyone who has something they would like to put up for consideration for the Speakeasy Spirit of the Month. This group will focus on hard liquor and not on beer or wine. Any selling points on why the spirit you are proposing is unique, interesting or an exciting addition to the anyone's liquor cabinet would be greatly appreciated.

This thread will run continuously and your suggestions are welcome at any time.

I would like to throw up a suggestion for Kubler Absinthe.

As some of you may know absinthe has had a renaissance of sorts in the past few years both in the European Union and here in the USA and new brands are becoming available nearly monthly these days. Kubler got the ball rolling in the USA and is a very good brand that I'm sure many people here have yet to try. There is an exciting ritual involved that includes ice water, a sugar cube and a slotted spoon. The development of the louche and associated aromas is a very interesting phenomena that many have never seen or smelled. The aromas can be room filling and nearly as complex as the layered tastes.

The Spirit itself is becoming widely available and is reasonably priced. There are quite a few 'lost' cocktails that include absinthe in their recipes such as the "Sazerac" and the Hemingway favorite "Death in the Afternoon". It is a distilled herbal high proof liquor that was extremely popular over a century ago and started out as a medicinal. Absinthe so dominated the market in Europe that the wine industry suffered and went on a campaign of misinformation and slander to reign in this complex spirit.

All in all a very interesting liquor with an even more interesting history.

Wow, I didn't know "the Green Fairy" was legal here. Is Kubler Absinthe the real thing with wormwood or is it modified in some way so that it can be imported?

I've always been interested in Absinthe because of the history, mystery, and all the lore surrounding it but have never tried it.

AFAIK, Kubler Absinthe isn't available across the whole US yet. I'd definitely be up for trying it, but we should probably hold off on it until it becomes a little easier to find? Just my opinion.

Wow, I didn't know "the Green Fairy" was legal here. Is Kubler Absinthe the real thing with wormwood or is it modified in some way so that it can be imported?

I've always been interested in Absinthe because of the history, mystery, and all the lore surrounding it but have never tried it.

Yes Absinthe has been legal here for nearly a year now. Kubler was the first brand submitted for approval, but Lucid was the first actually approved. The rules as I understand them are that any absinthe sold in the USA cannot have detectable levels of thujone and the current technology can only detect levels above 10ppm so many brands are being certified without any changes to the recipes or distillation process. Others have been altered to meet the 10ppm mostly in the distillation. Kubler has Grande Wormwood and is the original recipe, the only thing altered was the label. It seems as if the labels are harder to get approval for than the spirits themselves. :confused:

BTW: Most preban absinthe would meet the current US rules.

AFAIK, Kubler Absinthe isn't available across the whole US yet. I'd definitely be up for trying it, but we should probably hold off on it until it becomes a little easier to find? Just my opinion.

I get mine from here as it has yet to make it to Montana. I see it is sold out until the end of the month.

http://www.drinkupny.com/category_s/86.htm

Thanks for the information and the link. This is quite interesting and I'd be game to join in on the festivities if we select this. Congratulations on a very original idea!

:cool:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Save the bourbon and scotch for autumn ... give me something to sip on the back deck come August.

Bombay Saphire?

+1 to Hendrick's Gin - great stuff but definitely not for everyone.

My vote for Woodford Reserve. A truly unique bourbon with great hints of vanilla. Reasonably priced and probably one of the best bourbons I've had the pleasure of drinking.

I'll try not to cast the single malt stone just yet - what's our price range here?

I'm really really new to gin, so don't mistake me for an aficionado. However, I've heard some really nice things about Bluecoat gin, so I'll throw that in the ring here.

Top Bottom