What's new

The Open Comb Aristocrat, inside and out

How to disassemble a US made early TTO Aristocrat
The pieces pictured below are all the parts what make up and hold this razor together. Nomenclature for parts from top-left to bottom-right: silo doors and hinge contraption, handle cylinder, TTO cylinder, outer screw, inner screw.
attachment.php

If you look down the barrel of the 'TTO cylinder' you will see the 'inner screw' and the 'outer screw':
attachment.php

For the first step of disassembly we need to remove these two screws with a screw driver and a proprietary tool which I remade out of a brass pipe (carving the two ears using a ceramic bit on a Dremel tool - this can probably be done multiple ways). I will refer to these two tools as the 'flat head' and the 'pipe head' respectively.
attachment.php

Shown here without the rest of the razor, for clarity, the 'outer screw' is screwed around the tip of the 'silo doors and hinge contraption' and the 'inner screw' is screwed into the 'outer screw'. You must first remove the 'inner screw' by holding down the 'outer screw' with the 'pipe head' and unscrewing the 'inner screw' with the 'flat head'. The 'inner screw' should drop out and you can proceed to unscrew the 'outer screw' with the 'pipe head'.
attachment.php

attachment.php

To remove the 'silo doors and hinge contraption' you must first pinch together these two sets of mushroomed ears:
attachment.php

Then twist open the razor as you usually would to insert a blade though don't stop until you can lift off the 'silo doors and hinge contraption':
attachment.php

Finally, pull the 'TTO cylinder' out of the 'handle cylinder'. You will have to pull hard because they are held together by a groove and collar - the two rings shown here:
attachment.php

Reflections and Motivations
So why would we do this??? Well, this specific type of razor, I believe, was the first TTO razor designed and sold by Gillette. The design has some flaws and with some razors, these flaws can make the razor hard to work with - usually the TTO action is rough. For these cases, taking the razor apart allows us to possibly remedy these flaws so we can enjoy a like new TTO mechanism. Here are some flaws I have identified:

The pinch point on the 'silo doors and hinge contraption' can become loose and act as a pivot. This allows the head to wobble and can cause the TTO action to be quite rough. You can see, in later TTO models, that Gillette fixed this flaw by having two pinch points. Now that we have the razor disassembled, one can imaging multiple ways to retighten this pinch point.
attachment.php

The following flaw was(is) a problem with this particular razor. I don't completely understand it at this point but when the razor is fully assembled, there is a little bit of axial play between the 'TTO cylinder' and the 'handle cylinder'. When the 'TTO cylinder' is pulled a little out of the 'handle cylinder' (as pictured below), the TTO action is incredibly rough. Only when the TTO knob is flush with the 'handle cylinder' can the razor be twisted open. Somehow I need to get rid of this axial play...
attachment.php

Paul, Awesome job. This is a wonderful how to.....As a matter of fact I have one I need to work on myself. Perfect timing. Perhaps this should be added to the WIKI....?

Paul, Awesome job. This is a wonderful how to.....As a matter of fact I have one I nee to work on myself. Perfect timing. Perhaps this should be added to the WIKI....?

Is there a WIKI section for this? I was thinking it would be great to have a Sticky on disassembly of various razor models.

Is there a WIKI section for this? I was thinking it would be great to have a Sticky on disassembly of various razor models.

Doc- nice job taking it all apart- lets make sure you can get it back together! It would be a shame to end up with a bunch of razor parts:lol:

Congratulations on a successful operation, looks like the patient will survive.:lol:
Does the inside screw tightened against the main shaft act like a jam nut locking the outer screw to the shaft.
Looks like that's the "Mark 1" TTO mechanism.
I wonder how long it was produce before they came out with an improve design.
I have a Sheridan and it seems similar to the early Super Speeds except the locking screw is deeper in the handle.
I haven't taken mine apart because my notch screwdriver is to fat to reach the screw head and I haven't gotten around to grinding it down.

Congratulations on a successful operation, looks like the patient will survive.:lol:
Does the inside screw tightened against the main shaft act like a jam nut locking the outer screw to the shaft.

I believe this is the case - yes.

Looks like that's the "Mark 1" TTO mechanism.
I wonder how long it was produce before they came out with an improve design.
I have a Sheridan and it seems similar to the early Super Speeds except the locking screw is deeper in the handle.
I haven't taken mine apart because my notch screwdriver is to fat to reach the screw head and I haven't gotten around to grinding it down.

You shouldn't need a notched screwdriver; just a regular flat head. It is very similar but simpler than the open comb Aristocrat... though the screw is "left-handed":

Top Bottom