What's new

Brush Information Overload!

It's been discussed over and over throughout numerous threads, but I cannot go through all those thousands of posts. I'm not satisfied with the brush I'm using. I saw someone else use a description that fits mine perfectly: floppy and moppy. I don't like how my brush mushes & fans out when I apply lather. I want something that feels good on my face but holds it's form well enough to apply lather with precision. I have read a lot about the C&E BBB, but don't think that's the one for me. I was looking at the Vulfix or Shavemac brands in the $50 to $70 range. All look nice, but impossible to tell by a pic how something is going to perform. I'm reluctant to make a purchase until I get some real-world, end-user feedback so your ideas would be welcomed. Thanks much.

My vulfix 2235 super badger is a little moppy at times, you can easily overcome this by pinching the hair at the base to provide more backbone. The shavemacs look pretty incredible. I wonder if they will swallow up to much product though.

My vulfix 2235 super badger is a little moppy at times, you can easily overcome this by pinching the hair at the base to provide more backbone. The shavemacs look pretty incredible. I wonder if they will swallow up to much product though.

I've tried grabbing the base of mine, but I still don't get good control. It's a lesser brand I got from Amazon (Porter). It came as a set of soap, mug and brush. I'm already using a different soap so that was a wasted purchase. I was looking at the Vulfix 2233 which is the smaller version of the one you have. You think it mushes out too much though huh?

I've got two Vulfix brushes and they are both 'floppy and moppy' to a certain extent. From what I've read that seems to be the general consensus of Vulfix brushes. Sounds like you want something with some backbone to the shafts, packed densely and with sort of soft tips. In that case a ShaveMac Silvertip or a Savile Row Silvertip is the ticket. I have two ShaveMacs and they have been my 'go-to' brushes. The ShaveMac 177 makes a good 'all-around' soap or cream brush and the Savile Row 3722 or 3824 would work just as admirably. These brushes are the $100 range.

In addition, a Rooney 3/1 Super is a very densely packed brush that won't splay out, but has somewhat slightly scritchier tips than the SM or SR, and is billed by many as one of the best all-around soap/cream brushes and is available for $75 from Vintage Blades.

Read some reviews here and I'm sure that some B&B brush aficionados will be along shortly to give you some additional pointers and suggestions.

"These brushes are the $100 range."

Dern it...I was hoping to avoid the $100 range. Any thoughts about the finest Shavemacs? They are closer to what I'd rather spend. The Rooney could be a possibility...

These brushes are the $100 range.
Dern it...I was hoping to avoid the $100 range. Any thoughts about the finest Shavemacs? They are closer to what I'd rather spend. The Rooney could be a possibility...

Many claim that the Finest ShaveMacs are extremely close to the feel of the SilverTips. I can't personally say, since I only own SilverTips.

Watch the BST Forum and you will find some really sweet deals on some top notch brushes. And the thing about it, if you buy a really nice brush like the SM or SR and don't like it, you can always sell it on the BST Forum once you meet the conditions.

The Shavemac is going to be a great brush. It will have more flexibility than the Rooney but is not a floppy brush. Mine do not splay out when used in face lathering as they are nice, dense brushes. They are softer to me than the Rooney brushes.

However, Rooney to me is the ideal brush when wanting a firm brush with a bit of scrubbiness. The Rooney 1/1 in super runs about $75 from Vintageblades. I have a 1/2 and it is great. The 1/1 will be pretty small but a great brush especially for face lathering. If you want to spend a bit more then look at a 1/2 or 3/1.

From your post, I think you might be better served with the Rooney. However, either the Rooney or Shavemac would be a nice choice.

These brushes are the $100 range.

Many claim that the Finest ShaveMacs are extremely close to the feel of the SilverTips. I can't personally say, since I only own SilverTips.

Watch the BST Forum and you will find some really sweet deals on some top notch brushes. And the thing about it, if you buy a really nice brush like the SM or SR and don't like it, you can always sell it on the BST Forum once you meet the conditions.

Muy bien. Thanks for the tip. And somebody keep an eye out for my wife. She'll flip if she knows I'm thinking about spending 75 bucks for a shave brush. I don't think she gets the whole zen thing.

Muy bien. Thanks for the tip. And somebody keep an eye out for my wife. She'll flip if she knows I'm thinking about spending 75 bucks for a shave brush. I don't think she gets the whole zen thing.

$75 for A shave brush? Wait 'til you tell her that you need a second, third, fourth, fifth,etc.........shave brush! :w00t: :w00t: No worries, just buy her some new shoes or clothes every time you buy a new shave brush! :lol::lol::lol:

I have the Shavemac 944 in pure badger from vintageblades. It holds its shape well and the cost of $55 would meet your price point. I also use the Saville Row 3120 from qedusa. It has softer tips but still allows me good control when applying lather. The $85 cost is just outside your price range.

$75 for A shave brush? Wait 'til you tell her that you need a second, third, fourth, fifth,etc.........shave brush! :w00t: :w00t: No worries, just buy her some new shoes or clothes every time you buy a new shave brush! :lol::lol::lol:

You've nailed it friend. I'll just tell her when my brush collection exceeds her shoe collection then she can talk/yell. Trouble is she never listens to me anyway. I could go with the $55 brush mentioned above and show her how I actually saved money:001_rolle hmmmm, yeah I like it.

If you really want good control, you might be better off with a relatively small brush. In that event, I would highly recommend the Savile Row 3118 which has an 18 mm knot and is a great brush.

As far as the Shavemacs are concerned, their "finest" is, in my opinion, on a par with many, if not most, silvertips. These, also, are excellent brushes. My go-to brush is a Shavemac finest of about 22 mm . . . I really like this brush.

Regards,
Tom

You haven't said whether you prefer soaps, creams or both.

Given your parameters, if you want a good all-rounder, I say get a Rooney 3 small in supersilvertip (22mm knot), or a Shavemac finest (23mm lightbulb).

If you want a brush that's optimized for face-lathering or soaps, get a Rooney 1 small in supersilvertip.

While the "pure" grade brushes are less expensive, they are skritchier, which can be an issue if you frequently face lather.

For $65, the Rooney 3,1 or 2,1 in Genuine badger at www.classicshaving.com. For $10 more, the same brush in Super badger at www.vintagebladesllc.com. The difference is for color matching of the bristles, but both feel the same and are the same badger bristle.

The brush is soft on the face, but the bristles are resilient and won't splay out on the face. They are the antithesis of moppy-floppy. The difference between the 3 and 2 styles is only the handle shape, both are about a 21mm knot size with the same loft.

The bristles are twice as dense(2x the number of bristles) compared to the C&E, hence the cost difference. Frankly, I would not spent the money for the C&E, because for $30 more, you get a brush at a completely different level.

They're excellent with creams, soaps, face or bowl lathering, jack of all trades brushes. For the money, the best value in shaving IMHO, as you're getting a lifelong brush from one of the best makers in the world.

Best,

You might try a boar brush. The hair is stiffer than a badger and it is much cheaper. If you don't like it you won't have lost a lot of money.

Jan Pieter

Seems like a consensus is forming around the Rooney. It looks like it meets the characteristics I'm looking for at the right price point. To answer a couple questions posed, I use Tabac soap although plan to experiment w/ a few creams later on. Also I've used a boar brush. Nothing per se wrong with it, but I prefer the luxury of a badger I think. We'll bump this thread for another day and see what a few others think. Thanks for everyones input.

If you prefer to face lather, then go with the Rooney 1/1 in Super. Although it's seen primarily as a soap brush, it does work great with creams. Due to the small loft however, it does not work well for bowl lathering. If you prefer using a bowl, then go with a 2/1 or a 3/1.

I prefer to bowl lather. So the decisions made...I went with the Rooney 3/1 Super. Should be here in a week, and I'll give 'er a whirl. Thanks to everyone for your help. Your advice was exactly what I needed to hear before making a decision.

Top Bottom