What's new

Flipping Blades Over

I noticed that the Derby blades have the edges numbered, are you supposed to flip the blade after a bit? Does this really help?

I noticed that the Derby blades have the edges numbered, are you supposed to flip the blade after a bit? Does this really help?

Hello,

The numbers mean ziltch. Flipping a blade over is not advised, as the edge is already dulled. It doesn't matter which #'s are are showing when you load the blade. Just follow your normal routine of 2-4 shaves w/a blade and load up a new one.:smile:

Regards,

Hello,

The numbers mean ziltch. Flipping a blade over is not advised, as the edge is already dulled. It doesn't matter which #'s are are showing when you load the blade. Just follow your normal routine of 2-4 shaves w/a blade and load up a new one.:smile:

Regards,

Thanks, thats kinda what I figured but had been wondering about.

No worries, you are not alone...this question comes up about once a week. I think they put the #s on the blades just to confuse us:biggrin:

If confusion is the goal they are very successful..

:001_smile

Just look at the Fusion...
proxy.php

Well that settles that, I was wondering that myself. I never did that and I figured it would not be advisable. Consider a sharp knife, if you were to cut the same thing the same way over time the edge would actually bend. You would not want to shave with the flip side of a blade for the same reason.

its been discussed somewhere before I think. I seem to remember somebody emailing a blade manufactuer and finding that the numbers are only for the internal QA procedures etc.

I think it was also agreed that flipping a blade was bad, I cant remember exactly why though.

Flipping the blade accomplishes nothing and carries the slightest possibility of dulling the edge through sloppy handling. The numbers on the Derby blades "are there for internal manufacturing processes," although exactly what that is has never been explained.

It's numbered because the Aggie's need a lot of structure and supervision to get through the day. Use at least once but no more than 4 times, then change the blade.

its been discussed somewhere before I think. I seem to remember somebody emailing a blade manufactuer and finding that the numbers are only for the internal QA procedures etc.

I think it was also agreed that flipping a blade was bad, I cant remember exactly why though.

Why increase the chance of slicing your fingers off for no reason?

marty

I can't post the URL but here is the post from somewhere else.

Blade flipping and the numbers found on blades.

Posted by Giovanni Abrate on May 26, 2008, 4:00 pm

The topic of whether flipping a blade increases its usefulness keeps cropping up on various boards. Most people see the numbers (1,2,3,4 or I, II, III, IV) that identify the four edges and ask about their purpose. I keep seeing folks answer with the story that "these numbers are there for quality control purposes" ... or "they are used for production testing". Nonsense! Apparently someone asked someone at Derby and was given this story as a reply. I submit that either the question was not asked clearly, or it was put to someone who has no idea of the purpose of the numbers. Perhaps it was not asked at all. It makes no sense.
Actually, the numbers on the blades are there to allow the user to keep track of the number of shaves per edge.
This dates back to the days of the Depression, when people stretched the life of the blades as much as possible. Blades were flipped on every new shave. There are old blades where the wrapper actually tells users to flip the blade for better shaves and a longer blade life. I have a picture of one of these blades, a British Myatt Daymark. The picture was posted on another board by a gentleman from Australia and it would not be appropriate to post here it without his permission. On the back flap of the wrapper of this blade, it says:
"Turn the blade over after shaving in readiness for the next shave and a most perfect shave will result. Also the blade will last longer."
After several shaves, people would hone the blue blades on the inside of a glass tumbler or on special honing devices which were very popular at that time. One can see the instructions of some of those devices on our "Instruction Booklets" page, here: xxx
In addition, there were razors that offered two different cutting sides: one side was "mild" and the other side was more aggressive. I have one of these razors myself. The edge exposed by the aggressive side would wear more rapidly than the opposite edge. The numbers helped assure that, by proper rotation, both edges would wear evenly, thus assuring the best and most economical use of the blade.

Here is my old Blue Blade "Stropper" It has seen better days, and I have as yet to clean it up, but you get the basic idea...

Regards,

A bit of googling reveals people at the forum-that-apparently-should-not-be-linked-to saying that blade flipping actually made a difference.

hm

(and ***, how is there drama between wetshaving forums???)

Thanks AsylumGuido, you have renewed my faith in the broad reach for researched answers we have here at B&B. I think the Texas A&M line kinda flew past everyone. Oh and if your not to busy I would kill for a Ham Po-Boy from Mr. Joe Cobb's Bar-B-Q over on McCormick St, please.

Top Bottom