What's new

Gentlemens Refinery or Hydrolast ASB?

Hey guys, I am about to place my order for a new Aftershave balm and am torn as to which of these products to pick up!

I know that both are going to be great no matter which I get, but they aren't at all cheap so getting both right now is out of the question...

SO, which one should I try?! :lol:

IMHE these are different products.

For 40 bucks, the TGR does not do it for me. As much as I want to like it, it does not soothe and cure (my skin). Shoot them an email and they'll send out a nice sample pack. I made some purchases after I rcvd mine.

Nothing soothes, cures, and moisturizes like hydrolast. Bottom line. I have blown enough cash on aftershave stuff to make this statement, don't care if others agree or not. I paid to play.

Order the hydrolast in lime with a grapefruit tonic and call it day. No need to overthink this one.

Order samlples of TGR, you may find you like it also. I love the smell, but it can't accomplish what hydrolast can.

Wow, I'm pretty surprised to hear this about TGR... After reading some of these reviews I would have believed it was like gold... :wink:

A major factor for me when deciding on an aftershave is its ability to sooth bumps and redness, because that what I'm mainly prone to... maybe I'll need to go with the Hydrolast instead...

I'm not saying that you won't like it. I tried it when they sent me samples. I thought the AS was decent even though the scent was off for me. I personally wouldn't buy it because I didn't think it performed any better than anything I currently use. Plus its very expensive. I think L'Occitane's balm is much better.

TGR asb works fine for me. I spoke to Perry Gastis on the phone for about half an hour, found him totally accommodating and eager to explain his products, help with shaving questions, etc. His shave cream I would rate so-so. Not bad, but no better than anything else out there. I'd place his ASB on a par with Trumper's Coral Skin Food. Of course, I also like Nivea ASB, and not everyone on this forum does. We all have different skin types and that's why YMMV.

That reminds me, trumper's skin food is exactly what came to mind when I tried TGR balm fresh after using a feather and getting too close.

TGR is a good product. It is a better product than 90% of other products out there. This is a top tier product for sure.

It is just not like hydrolast, that's all.

Hydrolast skin conditioner for me too. It is pricey but it lasts a long time.
I use it even on days I don't shave to moisturize my skin after
washing my face with..........hydrolast (shave)soap.:biggrin:

I was about to post a thread asking the same question but I did a search and the thread existed already.

I've had the same Hydrolast Peppermint Conditioner tub for two years now. When it started to lose its scent, I added a few drops of my own essential oil concoction. Since its natural, I've tried to keep it cool so it doesn't lose its consistency. I haven't tried TGR and I won't be trying it either. This stuff is the best.

I see that enchante has aftershave conditioner in different scents for $35 and the finishing balm for $15. I assume the $35 conditioner is the one everyone is referring to, but what about the finishing balm?

To me there isn't anything special about TGR. Overpriced.

I must agree unfortunately. I'm sure that the stuff is excellent quality, but I managed to get through my TGR ASB on which Joel wrote up a very bullish review here in about three and a half months of daily use and found it to be not much better than the old Zirh Soothe ASB that I had relied upon previously.

These sentiments were also expressed by a workmate of mine who has been more or less following my lead into wetshaving. He also was both critical of TGR ASB and preferred the Zirh Soothe.

It was a bit runny and oily IMHO and didn't seem to do anything special. Having said that, it must work for others and it wasn't unpleasant to use. But I won't be repurchasing now that I've run out.

Looks like the Hydrolast ASB is worth a go now I've just about run out of balms altogether.

Cheers,

CB

I have been using the TGR balm for over a month now and will say it isa good product, however I am not sure I will order more when I finish it off. If the price was closer to say 20 bucks I would rate it higher, but really it doesn't do much for razor burnand can leave you face feeling greasy if you over apply. I also still find it necassarry to use a splash first then follow up with the balm. I am not so sure Proraso ASB doesn't work just as well as TGR. It is a good ASB don't get me wrong, but enough to justify the cost I am not so sure.

Top Bottom