What's new

Is there an advantage in turning your blade over?

Returning to DE/Wetshaving after many, many years of using a Mach3, I was wondering if there is any advantage to turning the DE blade over during its cycle of use? Will the blade last longer or furnish it with a new sharpness?

I've tried, but haven't noticed any difference between Week-Old-Blade and Other-Side-Of-Week-Old-Blade.

Of course, there are some believers out there.

Is there an advantage in turning your blade over?

Returning to DE/Wetshaving after many, many years of using a Mach3, I was wondering if there is any advantage to turning the DE blade over during its cycle of use? Will the blade last longer or furnish it with a new sharpness?

No, and No.

At $0.15 per blade it shouldn't be much of a problem, though.

-- John Gehman

Everybody seems to be saying no; but my understanding was that you should never flip the blade, as the wear on the blade creates a bit of a burr on the lower side. Think only stropping a straight in one direction.

More than having the blade last longer... I was curious if it was a better way of "working" the blade. Thanks for the feedback.. as always it's appreciated.

With only two dozen or so DE shaves behind me my novice opinion is that it does make a difference for me on some types of blades... here's how. As always YMMV...

I was only getting about 2 shaves with a derby blade when using both edges during shaving, flipping the razor around using either side randomly. I do four passes and I have a rough beard that dulls the blade quickly.
By the third shave it was pulling and causing burn. I've been interested in how these folks managed to get more shaves per blade. I tried changing my blade angle to be more parallel with my skin and less perpendicular... that has helped I think.

I found that I can get 4 shaves per blade if I shaves on edge one for shave one, then edge 2 for shave 2, then flip the blade for edge 3 for shave 3 (it's often numbered 3 and 4 on the underside.. go figure). And then edge 4 for shave 4.

Top Bottom