What's new

Dan Capshaw (Mt. Tamalpais) Custom Thuya Burl

Go HERE and get yourself a custom brush. Dan Capshaw is the man who handmakes them. Beautiful. I got this baby in the mail today and am speechless. I don't have other expensive brushes to compare to- just a C&E- but this thing is amazing. Dense, firm. 28mm knot. Thuya Burl CA finished handle. The loft is about 55mm, while the handle is about 75mm tall making the brush a whopping 130mm tall. I have big hands so I specified the size of the handle to Dan (not mm specific though). I told Dan what I was looking for and specified the Thuya Burl but left most of the artistic design to Dan. Check out the pics. It is standing next to my now pathetic looking C&E travel brush.

Beautiful! I just bought a Shavemac as my first "preemo" brush but these babies are going to be next on my list. The price is right too. I might want to ask the maker if the burl wood is protected on the inside of the knot, as a wood handle would be my only issue with it. I love the finish/look of it though! Thanks for sharing.

I might want to ask the maker if the burl wood is protected on the inside of the knot, as a wood handle would be my only issue with it.

I'm about 99% sure that he does seal the inside of the wood where the knot is. I remember him talking about doing the CA on the lathe and sealing the inside of the knot hole also. I don't think anyone making a brush would neglect this step. His brush handle is stated to be waterproof so I'm sure he does.

Thanks for posting this, Philadelph. I'll make a note of it. He's within spittin' distance of me. His work looks very nice.

Actually Dan wrote this to me tonight:

"
BTW, I actually seal the entire interior of the brush head with epoxy instead of CA. It ensures a better bond of the epoxy to the wood and it is also waterproof."

So that solves the waterproof interior issue.

sweet. I was pretty sure it would be sealed. Epoxy should last forever. Man, I need to get one of these soon! I never thought of epoxy being used, it kinda puts to rest any qualms about a wood handled brush.

Wow, that brush looks great. He mentions on his website that he obtains his silvertip knots from China. Is a Chinese sourced knot a good or bad thing, or does it make any difference? For that matter, where do Shavemac knots come from?

Wow, that brush looks great. He mentions on his website that he obtains his silvertip knots from China. Is a Chinese sourced knot a good or bad thing, or does it make any difference? For that matter, where do Shavemac knots come from?

I believe most Badger hair comes from China. For whatever that's worth.

We've had these discussions here before and I don't want to knock anyone's custom brushes I have a few myself but what I and others here have found is that though these brushes are all gorgeous looking and would make a stunning display piece when compared to a quality brush from one of the well known makers they don't measure up in the performance department. I know mine are expertly crafted with a very dense badger knot of silvertip much larger than my Rooney or Simpson but the performance still doesn't match. Probably because the custom makers buy very generic ready made badger pucks.

Amyn, a member at least on SRP who has a ton of brushes has more than one of these customs I believe. He said it was the first custom that could stand up to any other name brands. Also said his knot had a density "equivalent to the Chubby (no seriously)". Check it out HERE. Have you tried a brush from Dan? If not, then I think your comment is a little un-necessary. If so, to each his own. I never endorsed this as a brush to end all brushes, but for me, it is perfect.

I know mine are expertly crafted with a very dense badger knot of silvertip much larger than my Rooney or Simpson but the performance still doesn't match. Probably because the custom makers buy very generic ready made badger pucks.

Dan has his brush heads made to his specifications. And comparing two brushes of dissimilar size and density is not a fair comparison.

Custom brush makers have been part of many discussions. They get ready made knots from China and they do not go through the process of sorting the hair and creating the knot themselves - AGREED. I understand this and set my expectations accordingly when getting a brush from Dan.

Generally speaking the quality of hair used by customer brush makers does not match that of a name brand makers, but this is different with Dan.

I really do think he has a supplier who produces a quality knot on par and even better than some name brands. When I purchased my brushes from Dan I told him I was looking for some very specific characteristics in a knot , and via trial and error he was able to procure such a knot, and I am more than happy with my brushes. Happy enough to purchase 3 brushes (same knot size with different lofts). The key is to tell him what you are looking for in a knot. He does have an up charge for the denser knot

My third one is on the way. I will do a detailed review once after I have received the third one.

The bottom line is you get custom quality product (excellent craftsmanship on handle and an great knot of badger) at a great value.

Sure you can buy a similar brush from a name brand company but it will cost you a LOT more (without the custom handles). Does this mean I am selling my Simpsons - Heck No !!!, but I would not hesitate to buy another Dan Capshaw brush.

Wow, that is beautiful. Does he have different shape handles to choose from?

Yes. One of my Mt. Tam 28mm brushes has a Rooney style handle in spalted maple with a Shavemac "lightbulb" style brush head. One brush I've seen of his was in ebony that was the spitting image of a Simpson Chubby. I have to say that the brush I let him have free reign on is my favorite brush to hold and make lather with because it fits perfectly in my hand.

I've spoken to enough of Dan's customers to know his work is quality. I plan to get two brushes from him. I'm thinking a 22 mm knot in Spalted Maple and a 25 mm in either Kewazingo or Macassar Ebony. Later, if my funds allow, I'll get a third in African Paduk.

Top Bottom