What's new

Simpson Tulip 4

I am a larger brush lover and as such when I contacted Robert at TGS about a Tulip size 4 he told me he had only one and it was a two band (what I was looking for) I bought the brush right away. It arrived yesterday and I used it this morning. It was a wonderful experience.

Feast Your eyes ...

Pre-Bloom
proxy.php

Pre-Bloom Density
proxy.php

Next to my BK8 and my Custom Shavemac 23mm
proxy.php

Post-use (yes the sticker is gone but I like it that way)
proxy.php

Post-use Density
proxy.php

Post-use with my other two
proxy.php

Brush in hand shot
proxy.php

I have to say that as my first Simpsons it is a great brush. The knot may be a little bigger than my shavemac but it feels smaller on the face. Although the bristles don't have a 'quill' like quality they are just right and distribute the shaving cream on the face with great ease. I used my AOS unscented soap this morning and it produced a wonder lather and ended in a wonderful shave. Hats off to the Simpsons Tulip 4!!

Funny timing for your post...I've been searching for info on this brush and have come across very little. There seems to be a lot for the T2 and 3 but none for the 4.

Anyway, last night I contacted lee about it and after getting back to me right away with answers to my questions I placed my order. Can't wait to get it.

Thanks for the write up it makes me more confident about my decision since it really was a shot in the dark. Glad to hear you are enjoying it.

Casey

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
The T-4 is a Monster brush. A fantastic one as a matter of fact. Few are discussed because very few members own one. The Simpson Tulip series of brushes remain some of the finest and most beautiful shaving brushes in the world IMO. The T-4 is the King of Tulips!

I had a three band T4 purchased from a forum member and sold soon thereafter. Too big for me. I have a two band T2 that is a wonderful brush. My current favorite is a 2 band Polo 8 in super. Simpson makes a great brush. I put clear nail polish over the label as soon as I receive it. I like the label. I think it looks classy and my only complaint regarding Simpson's brushes is the labels coming off without that precaution.

I am becoming more and more enamored of this brush, especially after the Rockefeller Rockettes line up that Peter posted.

I wonder whether one has to use two hands to adequately control the T4!:001_smile That is some huge brush.

Best regards,

Jay

I am becoming more and more enamored of this brush, especially after the Rockefeller Rockettes line up that Peter posted.

I wonder whether one has to use two hands to adequately control the T4!:001_smile That is some huge brush.

Best regards,

Jay

Jay,

It ain't huge at all if you're askin' me...i use it regularly. Mine was one of my very first Simpsons purchased in november 2004 from Lee, together with my Emperor 3.

Sorry for the hijack, but what does it mean in reference to the Tulips when people talk about the number of bands?

Sorry for the hijack, but what does it mean in reference to the Tulips when people talk about the number of bands?
It's about the colours and how many horizontal "bands" there are in a knot. Hope this image clears it up.

I have a 2 band T2....I just love it. Since the Simpsons are getting low on stock, I was thinking about getting a Tulip4.....but was really hoping to get a PJ3 Super first.

Just an update on this brush. I have been using it everyday since I received it. It has a great feel to it. The handle is quite large and the loft is long. But the bristle is stiffer (compared to my other brushes) and the tips have softened a little from the first shave. I have had it for nearly a week. And I find my self making lather for lather's sake. My little girl loves my shaving brushes and likes to play with them (only if I supervise of course) and she also has nothing bad to say about it. I plan on using it for a full two weeks and then moving back to my shavemac for a week and then my Kent BK8 for a week and then returning to to T4 for a week before I give a full review. But I have found that even though it is a big brush I need to use less product (soap or cream) to get sufficient lather for my 3 ~ 4 pass shaves. So far so good.

Top Bottom