What's new

Going to Lisbon, what should I buy?

Hello,

I'm going to Lisbon in a short time, and I would like to know what products are worth getting and where.

Obviously I want to buy a Musgo Real After-Shave, but I don't know where to find it. Strangely,it seems that it's quite difficult to find the Musgo Real products in Lisbon. Does somebody know where to find it? And by the way, which is more famous the aftershave splash version or the aftershave balsam?

Is there any more things I should look for?

Thanks.

I would get the splash if nothing else, there was a post a while back from a member that said he looked all over Portugal for it and could not find it,perhaps a e-mail to the manufacturer to see who carries it? Good luck and have fun.

Well...you're coming to this beautiful country!!:001_smile Excellent choice...:w00t: Sunny days all year (today too), nice and friendly people, beautiful monuments and tasty gastronomy!! You will see....!!!Impartial as i am...:biggrin:

Anyway try the manufacturer of Musgo Real (on links you could see the US distributor) and their wide range of products, such as the Oprah's and Nicholas Cage soaps :rolleyes:

http://www.clausporto.com

They have a showroom as seen in pic but they are located here at Portugal's north

You could see some stores who carries their products such as the nice

http://www.merceariadaatalaia.com

You could buy there some exquisite wines, olive oils and so on...take a look around!!

To buy De razors, blades and all those nice things you have this cutlery/grooming store

Cutelaria Polycarpo, lda
Rua S. Nicolau, 19/31

Tel. 218 866 205 (Mr.Américo Silva)

or take a look too

www.barbex.pt
(Mr.António Coelho)

They have a street store too, i'm not sure but you could confirm at

Praça da Figueira, 18, 3 esq. (on old downtown)

Tel. 213 496 674

And there is a barber shop (Pinto's Cabeleireiros....to shave and nice haircuts) at a mall from the 70's named Apollo 70

www.apolo70.com

This barber named Joaquim Pinto is the President's, Prime Minister and all Government ministers and male staff hairdresser since the 70's...you name it of the who's who at portuguese politics...all political clans passes by his chair such as the 3 last Portugal presidents....kind of "Purveyor of nice haircuts and shaves to Portuguese Republic elite" !! The #1 barber here... shop # 45 at basement (-1 floor).You could see him on the apollo 70 site receiving an hair fashion award...If you see him handling is str8 on shave...job well done. His shop is located at that place since 1975.

The nice thing about this normal barber shop is the ownwer...who's a true connaisseur and along his life has collected some razors vintages from Gillettes, Dovo's and several other brands who disaperead on the meanwhile...It worths a visit because his dream is to do a Barber/Grooming Museum in Lisbon with all the pieces he owns...one thousand or more and the piece de resistance is the str8 razor of our last king, murdered in 1910 dy revolutionaries...ask him about it and you will see what he says...and shows!! A fellow colleague received it from the hands of the king's barber on the 30's and when he was old he gave it to him. He has more pieces from a time where barbers are dentists too...and do bleedings on customer request!! "For me a BBS shave and a bleeding please :lol:"

You could have a nice shave too...forget the bleeding :bored:...with your straight or his disposable shavette blade. Make a tour on the mall you will find the barber shop.

And don't forget to go to the Rua de Belém, 84/8 (near Jerónimos monastery)and buy and eat at Real Fábrica dos Pasteis de Belém half a dozen of pasteis, custard filled pastries, eat 3 (only tourists ask one, portuguese people ask them by 2 or 3 minimum) with cinnamon and sugar on top, hot served is de rigueur (the ovens work from 8 a.m to 23,30 p.m) and a bica, a small cup of creamy coffee.Buy a dozen pastries and bring them to your relatives at home!!

You can read it in english here

http://www.pasteisdebelem.pt

The little steel mug on the pic ia a cinnamon/sugar blender...

Have a nice stay and any question let me know. :wink: Depending on days here i can suggest you a nice tour

About the Musgo Splash or Balsam...the balsam is smoother on face, the splash will give you a nice alum block feeling, you know...alcohol bites

Portugal sounds fantastic, I'll have to visit it some time soon.

This is what Claus porto's site says on the Musgo cream:

'The shaving cream enriched with lanolin and glycerine, smoothes the bear, enabling an easier, long-lasting and more pleasant shaving. '

You shave large predators in Portugal? :confused: :lol:

Thank you very, very much lamina, you've completely made my day. Thanks to your info I won't have any problems finding the almighty Musgo Real!

Wow! Great post from Lamina! Is always a pleasure to meet a fellow portuguese.
And to think that Apolo 70 is just a 5 minute walk from my work.

If you'd like to try spanish products (at least Floid, La toja cream and Stick- you'll be amazed with the prices) I would recommend you to visit El Corte Ingles. Make sure you head to the supermarket (located in basement) and not to the Department store.

Metro/Subway:biggrin: grid attached.

If you'd like to try spanish products (at least Floid, La toja cream and Stick- you'll be amazed with the prices) I would recommend you to visit El Corte Ingles. Make sure you head to the supermarket (located in basement) and not to the Department store.

Metro/Subway:biggrin: grid attached.

Thanks for the idea! It is actually a very good tip, but I forgot to mention I'm Spanish and living in Madrid, so "el corte ingles" is like my second home. There I found: Floid (spanish version), Tabac, Aqua Velva, Proraso soap and I think they sell proraso pre/post shave cream but I'm not sure. Their great weakness is that they don't sell any type of DE razors and only sell very expensive and overpriced omega brushes. Even though if I have time, I maybe will take a gander, just in case they sell something (which is worthwile, I have to cut a bit on my acquisition disorders, yes, they are several of them!) that can't be found in Madrid's Corte ingles.

By the way, I'm looking also to buy some clothes (yes, I'm going to spend some very frivolous 4 days!) and I'm looking for classic style clothes(shoes, shirt,jumper,jacket,etc..) I've heard that the shop Nunes Correa is worth visiting, are there any other shops in Lisbon (shoe shops, shirtmakers,etc..) in Lisbon who sell that style of clothes? I should also say I'm only looking for portuguese shops like Nunes Correa, not international brands.

Thanks to all of you for all the help given so far, specially to lamina.

Thank you

Spanish? judging from the nick, it's hard to tell.:wink:

In "Baixa", - downtown" you will find plenty of portuguese shops. Justa a few names are "Camisaria Moderna" (Praça Rossio/Praça Figueira), Rosa e Teixeira (Av. Liberdade 204). Nunes Correa is also very nice.

Do they have Tabac soap in Madrid's ECI? Last time i was in Madrid was a year ago, weeks before entering this "cult".

Spanish? judging from the nick, it's hard to tell.:wink:

In "Baixa", - downtown" you will find plenty of portuguese shops. Justa a few names are "Camisaria Moderna" (Praça Rossio/Praça Figueira), Rosa e Teixeira (Av. Liberdade 204). Nunes Correa is also very nice.

Do they have Tabac soap in Madrid's ECI? Last time i was in Madrid was a year ago, weeks before entering this "cult".

Thank's for all the addresses Henrique! The other day I bought in the "el corte ingles" in Madrid a bowl of Tabac. The total cost (Soap+Bowl) was of about 18 euros. I don't know if it is expensive or cheap with respect to other shops. I didn't mind the price taking in account that it may last for years and years to come, I rotate Tabac with 2 other soaps (TOBS Lavender and Proraso) and I don't even shave every day!

Portugal sounds fantastic, I'll have to visit it some time soon.

This is what Claus porto's site says on the Musgo cream:

'The shaving cream enriched with lanolin and glycerine, smoothes the bear, enabling an easier, long-lasting and more pleasant shaving. '

You shave large predators in Portugal? :confused: :lol:

It's very simple to explain...Musgo is telling me, delicately, this morning when i saw my image on the mirror...GEEEEE...A BEEEAR:::....:lol: oh it's just me!!!!:001_rolle"

C'mon...I thought i was alone right here!!:001_smile Pinto's is a well known hairdresser among us, the elite....:c2::lol: but i share the tip for free!! TV's are always there making some interviews....We are 2 portugueses now...one day we will conquer the world!!

I should also say I'm only looking for portuguese shops like Nunes Correa, not international brands.

I forgot to tell you about a nice vintage shop (not clothes, of course) located at downtown (Chiado) named

www.avidaportuguesa.com

Catarina Portas, the owner is a well known jornalist here and decided to have a store with only Portuguese vintage brands such as Musgo or Saboaria Confiança (soaps too) among other Classic brands (pencils, boxes etc..). Take a look on the site and you will see ...Portuguese badgers (texugo)made here!!! Semogue is the only brand who still made them by hand in the classic way. A must-see store!!

Hello,

After having gone to Portugal and visited nearly all the places mentioned in this forum I'm going to post a review here:

Pinto's Cabeleireiros
It has been the first time I've gone to the barber, and have learnt a few things.

First of all, as in any other place there's always the master (in this case Antonio Pinto) and the pupils. I was shaved by one of his pupils, which obviously isn't the same. The barber in question had an incredible technique using the single blade, but he didn't do any preshave at all!! He shaved me directly with cold water and lather. Obviously he left the part between the neck and the chin completely irritated. I didn't enjoy that at all, but I must say that he did a wonderful job removing the hair, I now know what a BBS shave feels like, I just hope I can achieve it in the future without any redness and bumps.

I must say the barber shop doesn't look very traditional, it's located in a modern shopping mall, etc.. but the barbers are quite old school, specially Mr.Pinto

I found it a pleasant experience (it was my first time at the barber's) but quite expensive,and for the price, I don't think it's worth it unless you get shaved by Mr.Pinto himself which probably is a wonderful barber.

Mercearia da Atalaia

The shop doesn't have a nice presentation, (like "a vida portuguesa"), but I must say they have very nice things when it comes to portugese wines and cheeses. They have some shaving stuff (Musgo real,etc..) but I would leave this shop for buying food, and for shaving things I would go to "a vida portuguesa"

A vida Portuguesa

It's an incredibly nice shop. It's worth a look even if you don't wan't to buy anything. It's very well located, and the decoration and setup of the shop is extremely good, with all type of traditional portugese things. They have the following shaving goods: Musgo real (all products), styptic pencils, alum bars, and shaving soaps from other portugese brands. It's not a shaving shop, so obviously they don't have razors or blades. They do have nice brushes though. They also have a lot of Claus Porto's products: soaps,etc.. And other portugese products: Porto Wine, cheeses, etc...Very nice shop worth a visit, and just 2 minutes away from the center (chiado square)

Cutelaria Polycarpo, lda
It's more of a scissors shop. They have beard cutters, scissors, a lot of brushes (only from the Spanish Vie long and Italian Omega brands) and one merkur razor, the one with the polygonal-shaped handle. The shop had an average price.

Barbex
They had the exact same stuff than "Cutelaria Polycarpo", but more expensive, so I didn't find it worth it.

I've read your review...allow me to share some thoughts...

About Pinto's...the part of the cold water was really unnecessary...did you book the shave or you just come by? When he have is agenda booked he just passes some elementary steps...you should ask for hot water...But as far as i understand the pupil shaved you and Mr.Pinto made you the haircut? I will share your observations to him on my next passage by his barber shop...And about his collection?

Mercearia da Atalaia...i agree with you.About Musgo and Claus Porto sometimes they are irregular depending on their stocks...For food and groceries in general it could be a good choice

A Vida Portuguesa worths a visit of course!! The store inside has the same old shelves of the original owner and the patine of good ol'days...the brushes are a vintage brand made here in Portugal (Semogue) all manually.It's the best kept secret in brushes brands...superior to several well-known brands and the badgers are really nice.I've heard a US Distributor is interested to export them to USA, conversations are in course...

Polycarpo and Barbex...sometimes Polycarpo has Merkur...the main problem here is both stores work by demand of customers...Merkur is a brand for connoisseurs and no one wants to have stocks.I've heard a local industry tycoon have ordered 12 Vision to his staff, CEO's etc...here too if you have the chance to pass by the store after a Merkur delivery you could find a HD, a 33C, a 38 but a unit of each. And it seems Merkur HQ/Factory wants minimal orders too...

Did you eat the pasteis!!??:tongue_sm

I didn't book at Pinto's. I didn't cut my hair, I just shaved my beard. My brother did get his hair cut by Mr.Pinto and he did a great job. Maybe they where booked or in a hurry and that's why they didn't use any towels or hot water. His collection was very , very nice, although I completeley forgot about asking him about the single blade of Portugal's last king, what a shame!

I didn't eat the pasteis at Belem this time, because I had already done it the first time I went to Lisbon (which by the way I found delicious). On this second trip to Lisbon, I was only staying a few days so I wanted to concentrate more on shopping (very frivolous of me!) and visiting Liberdade, chiado,baixa, etc.. which I had never visited before.

I also discovered they have Geo F.Trumpers cream at Rosa e Texeira, but I found it more expensive than ordering it through the Internet, so I passed on that one.

I missed the brushes at "a vida portuguesa", which I regret so much!!! Maybe it's because they where orange-coloured, which didn't give me a good feeling, but I suppose I was wrong!

Mr.Pinto this time is forgetting his job i think...:rolleyes: hot water and hot water is the basic of a nice shave!!

Rosa e Teixeira have Trumpers?! I didn't know...once i buyed a borsalino hat at that store...and yes they are a little bit pushy on prices!!

Maybe one of these days the Semogue brushes will be available all around!! They chose the orange ones??! Semogue have it in wood and other materials...

Hello everyone.

I´m writing because there has been a mistake about Pintos'cabeleireiros.I´m the daughter of Joaquim Pinto,the owner of the real Pintos´cabeleireiros,the one that is the Prime Ministers hairdresser and of other important politicians,as Lamina said (Lamina,you do know a lot about my father). Antonio Pinto is his brother but uses the same name for his barber shop.If you visit our website,you´ll see it´s not the same shop were you have been.Also there are no pupils at Pinto´s cabeleireiros but only professionals with high skills. And...they do shave with hot water and do not irritate chins.
Did you see any pieces of a vintage collection in that barber shop you went to?No,you didn´t,because Antonio Pinto doesn´t have any!

The next time you come to Lisbon , get in the right place to shave (with hot water) and enjoy the real barber shop of the most important politicians of our country.Maybe you´ll even come in a time when the Prime Minister is shop and meet him :)...We´ll be happy that you visit us. If you need some advise about Lisbon,feel free to ask me.

Sandra Pinto

Top Bottom