What's new

How much does your barber charge for a cut? also service quesion..

Ever since moving to this small town I live in; I been looking for a barber, I can't take the chemical smells from hair dyes, nail polishes etc of those foo foo salons and chain hair places.

I finally found a barber today, he's been in business for quit some time from what I gather but charges $14 for just a cut. To me that seems like quit a lot of money for a Barber.

Also does your barber finish your neck with a straight edge? I declined the straight edge finish after seeing the razor was not cleaned and sanitized :eek: after the guy in front of me was done. Even more shocking was the can of foamy goop that was being used with just a finger .

So with all that said what do you pay for a cut?

Honestly, $14 is an excellent price. Anywhere between $12 and $20 seems normal for a basic barbershop in my experience. Some barbers use electric clippers to finish the neck and burns, but I prefer they do it with a straight. And for that, I don't see anything wrong with canned goop with a finger. Nicer if they use a LatherKing so it's hot, but applying with a finger is what I would expect. Never seen a barber do something like whipping up lather with a brush just to shave the back of someone's neck.

Well its pretty hard to find a good barber...esp. in Boston where i live...i find myself paying a premium where ever i go...as for the straight edge...yea they do that...but they always clean it and then soak it in barbacide...so i pay between $13-$20...It sux but thats the way it is

Honestly, $14 is an excellent price. Anywhere between $12 and $20 seems normal for a basic barbershop in my experience. Some barbers use electric clippers to finish the neck and burns, but I prefer they do it with a straight. And for that, I don't see anything wrong with canned goop with a finger. Nicer if they use a LatherKing so it's hot, but applying with a finger is what I would expect. Never seen a barber do something like whipping up lather with a brush just to shave the back of someone's neck.

Heh I guess I wasn't thinking, was just strange to see them using canned stuff.

The most worrisome part was the not cleaning the blade, maybe he dunked the razor real quick in the babercide, but I didn't see that being done, looked like it was just wiped off and laid on a towel.

I pay $5. Finish with a Charles Monsieur disposable on sideburns and neckline. They also use a Latherking and finish you off with Aspen aftershave(?) I have some at home but I'm not sure if that's it. Then a little Clubman talc on the neck duster and voila!:smile:

I pay $5. Finish with a Charles Monsieur disposable on sideburns and neckline. They also use a Latherking and finish you off with Aspen aftershave(?) I have some at home but I'm not sure if that's it. Then a little Clubman talc on the neck duster and voila!:smile:

Yea a disposable would really be ideal, I wish I could find a shop like that here :smile:

The one this shop used, was a real small one piece straight maybe 6" in length with a really small blade.

I pay $22.00 and she uses a small electric clipper on the back of my neck. She finishes me off with some Pinaud Clubman Talc.

I think $14.00 is a reasonable price.

DaveS

my shop uses the heated disp for foam ... and a straight that has replaceable blades ... i know the barber i go to, has about 5 of them. and after he is done it goes into the barb'cide ... and another comes out and is rinsed off ...

my place charges 12$ for a cut .. but i normally pay 20$

I have to get a hair cut every week if not more so hair cuts in my town are kind of cheap and some "barbers" you need to stay clear from. The barber that i go to uses a dovette to shave my head until it starts to fade into my hair on the top of my head. he gives the best and he charges 8 bucks. You can get a hair cut on base for 4.50 but you may end up with a lop sided head i have had some really bad hair cuts but for 4.50 you cant expect much.

$14 is very fair. I found a guy who would cut my hair for $25 when haircuts around here were going for $40 or more. Seriously. When he went out of business, I bought myself a Wahl clipper and now just do it myself.

But I clip everything down to 1/4 inch. No time to learn layering and feathering and all that crap. If I ever decide to let it grow out, I don't know what I'll do. :001_huh:

I had a cut yesterday, it was actually the first time I've ever had it done at a Barber, it was $15AU thats $10 cheaper than a hairdresser here. I think he did do my neck with a disposable straight, it really didn't need any cream. It wasn't the best cut I've ever had but it was by far the fastest and cheapest and you won't be able to tell the difference in 2 weeks.

My barber charges $12 for a cut. I think it is a very good price. He cuts my hair with a combination of clippers and scissors. He shaves the back of my neck, trims my eyebrows, and finishes it off with a brief shoulder and neck massage.

I give him a $3 tip for a total cost of $15. I'm happy to pay it.

I noticed that barbers in town here, because it is a military town, tend to be impersonal and rush through your cut. I end up going to this barbershop that little know about because I have a very enjoyable experience: this experience runs me 20 dollars. She shaves the sides of my head with a two blade disposable and some edge shaving cream, but she does do a nice warm towel prep.

$21. I go to a higher end salon. I think I pay too much, but I'm a not a people person and if I'm comfortable with someone cutting my hair and they do a good job, I'll probably never leave. Which is why I've been going to the same girl for about 5 years now.

She does my neck with a trimmer, and does a very through job.

Been going to the same place for 30 years. Shampoo, style and blow dry now costs $28 but i am very pleased with the cut. so $14 for a haircut is a bargain if you like the end result.

$12 for the cut and a straight save on the neck, around ears, and sideburns with cream from a latherking. Then some coachman AS and some talc on a brush and Bob's your uncle.

My barber charges $11 for about the last 15 years. I pay him $15. He trims neck and side burns with electric clippers. I usually have to ask for my eyebrows to get a going over. Now I'm thinking I may have to start asking for my ears (just inside) to get some attention too.

$15 with wash, I think it's $12 for just a cut. I leave $5 for a tip. I get a straight razor shave there once in a while. I don't remember exactly what the shave cost but he does a great job. Plenty of prep, no burn, lasts for 2 days.

$21 for the haircut. He uses a replaceable blade straight razor on my neck, over the ears, and sideburns. Uses a latherking. He puts the shaving cream on with his finger. I haven't paid attention to the blade changing sanitizing. But he is pretty anal about things. He has lots of awards from Barber competitions. He makes a big deal about doing things just so. He will also trim my goatee and eyebrows and remove hair from my ears and nose if needed. All within 30 minutes.

Now for an extra $21 and and another 30 minutes, he will do a shave. Replaceable blade. Rubs the lather in working it into the stubble (and I imagine detecting or remembering the grain pattern.) Does a hot towel treatment for two minutes. Then does it again for another 2 minutes. Then does two passes. He finishes up with Pinuad Clubman aftershave and Pinuad talc with neck duster.

It really like a trip to a past I wasn't around for the first time.

Top Bottom