What's new

Every picture possible of the New Thiers Issard Silverwing....

full

NOTICE THE LINK TO B&B!
full

full

full

full

A few pics next to a 1911 with Cocobolo grips, to show how deep/dark the cocobolo on the Silverwing is....
full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Joel... I don't often post in the straight forum but I couldn't resist expressing how beautiful this razor is. I think that some special edition straights I see photos of look overdone at times, sometimes to the point of being gaudy or at least detracting from the "beauty in simplicity" aesthetic that so many of us find attractive about classic shaving. This beaut though... just overflowing with charm. I don't even shave with a straight and I want one! Congrats on the score and the link!!

Joel... I don't often post in the straight forum but I couldn't resist expressing how beautiful this razor is. I think that some special edition straights I see photos of look overdone at times, sometimes to the point of being gaudy or at least detracting from the "beauty in simplicity" aesthetic that so many of us find attractive about classic shaving. This beaut though... just overflowing with charm. I don't even shave with a straight and I want one! Congrats on the score and the link!!

I gotta say, from what fellas had been saying about the Silverwings, I was a little apprehensive about mine.... but mine is simply stunning. The pics don't do it justice, and the mirror polish on the blade is the finest I have ever experienced.

Now all I have to do is hone 'er up!! :biggrin:

That is truly beautiful. It makes me feel good knowing that someone out there is making things like this. It gives me hope.

Joel,

You take very nice pictures I have to say, and the handsome appearance of your model doesn't hurt the effort either.

I just got mine too and shaved with it out of the box on the recommendation of Herr Nienberg. It shaved OK but could stand a bit of edge refinement.

Mine has a different model number than yours -- should I be worried?:001_huh:

Just kidding - I'm #056. While this is not an inexpensive razor, it really, really looks good and feels good in the hand. With an acceptable shave out of the box, things can only get even better. I'm sold:w00t:

Cheers, and Happy New Year

Joel,

You take very nice pictures I have to say, and the handsome appearance of your model doesn't hurt the effort either.

I just got mine too and shaved with it out of the box on the recommendation of Herr Nienberg. It shaved OK but could stand a bit of edge refinement.

Mine has a different model number than yours -- should I be worried?:001_huh:

Just kidding - I'm #056. While this is not an inexpensive razor, it really, really looks good and feels good in the hand. With an acceptable shave out of the box, things can only get even better. I'm sold:w00t:

Cheers, and Happy New Year

One thing is for sure..... Herr Nienberg should not be telling people to shave with these things out of the box, as while I am sure his honing works great for him.... I don't think it works well for just about anyone else :wink:

That is a really nice piece of work. Great pictures Joel. Seeing this makes me want to start trying a straight. Great another AD!:001_rolle

Not trying to sound like Paris Hilton but damn thats HOT!!!

Joel you know my address , send it right on over when you get sick of it :lol:

Nick

I gotta say, from what fellas had been saying about the Silverwings, I was a little apprehensive about mine.... but mine is simply stunning. The pics don't do it justice, and the mirror polish on the blade is the finest I have ever experienced.

Now all I have to do is hone 'er up!! :biggrin:

Hone 'er up Joel interested in how it shaves. There seems to be mixed thoughts on the silver steel

Hone 'er up Joel interested in how it shaves. There seems to be mixed thoughts on the silver steel

I got a KILLER vintage hone i've been wanting to try out, so I'll lap that puppy up and hone 'er up tonight, and shave with her tomorrow. So far, I'm incredibly happy/impressed. It's leaps and bounds better built than any other TI I have owned, honed or used, and I own at least 15 TI's and have honed probably 100. The feel, balance, fit and finish, etc are all superlative. Pins are perfect, inlay is perfect, centering is perfect, polish is perfect, aside from the "D" in Thiers IssarD - everything seems to be about perfect. Provided she shaves as good as she looks.... another one or two of these might have to find their way into my collection :biggrin:

One thing is for sure..... Herr Nienberg should not be telling people to shave with these things out of the box, as while I am sure his honing works great for him.... I don't think it works well for just about anyone else :wink:

Hi Joel,

I am glad the Silverwing arrived safe and sound and you like it.
Regarding the note to shave with it right out of the box I put some explanation on the straight razor FAQs at rasurpur.de/english.

It is known since the first days of straight razor shaving that a freshly honed razor will not be as sharp as a used one.

There is an old german expression for this, which goes: "Die Wate wächst."
It means through daily use and stropping the very fine cutting edge will get longer (it "grows") and sharper.

My note to use the razor right out of the box gives you a starting point of the sharpness and from there you can see how the razor is in a few weeks.

This is very helpfull especially for the beginner because some of them dull their razor in the first attempt of stropping it. ;)
The experienced shaver will have no problem to adjust the sharpness to his needs but it is always good to try the razor like it is for the first time.
You do not have to use it for a full shave if you feel after the first strokes you need more sharpess (and then complain afterwards, that's just silly).

Like I said, it is a starting point and gives you something to relate to.

98% of my customers like the sharpness of the razors like I send them.
The other two percent think they are too sharp or not sharp enough.

I hope this helps,
Martin

Hi Joel,

Regarding the note to shave with it right out of the box I put some explanation on the straight razor FAQs at rasurpur.de/english.

It is known since the first days of straight razor shaving that a freshly honed razor will not be as sharp as a used one.

It means through daily use and stropping the very fine cutting edge will get longer (it "grows") and sharper.

My note to use the razor right out of the box gives you a starting point of the sharpness and from there you can see how the razor is in a few weeks.

This is very helpfull especially for the beginner because some of them dull their razor in the first attempt of stropping it. ;)
The experienced shaver will have no problem to adjust the sharpness to his needs but it is always good to try the razor like it is for the first time.
You do not have to use it for a full shave if you feel after the first strokes you need more sharpess (and then complain afterwards, that's just silly).

I hope this helps,
Martin

Martin,
No worries - I didn't shave with it at all in the manner it was sent. :wink:

I couldn't disagree with you more however on the "no freshly honed razor will shave as smooth as a used one." Send me one of your razors (nothing special - plain handled razor) and i'll hone 'er up and send it back to you shaving beautifully right off the hone, and right out of the box. :wink:

Hi Joel,

I hope this helps,
Martin

Another note: I by and large disagree with a good portion of your FAQ. It may be that Americans have MUCH heavier beards, but I know of no one (American at least) getting 1.5 - 2 years out of a blade between honing (as per your FAQ). I also don't know of anyone stropping their razor every 3-5 shaves and still getting good results...

Joel,

For those who may want to improve on the out-of-the-box edge on the new Silverwing, will you post what you did to yours to get to that "gilt-edged" sharpness all shavers aspire to?

Thanks and Happy New Year

Joel,

For those who may want to improve on the out-of-the-box edge on the new Silverwing, will you post what you did to yours to get to that "gilt-edged" sharpness all shavers aspire to?

Thanks and Happy New Year

Bruce,
Used a "trifecta" of vintage hones.... a vintage Belgian Coticule, a Vintage Escher (really an amazing specimen) and my new little "precious" a flawless grade vintage Thuringian that is absolutely incredible - puts a finer edge on a razor than a y/g escher, natural japanese waterstone or a Shapton 30K!

full

Shave with 'er today - and it was an absolutely AMAZING shave. I mean REALLY a departure from the norm. Before you run out an buy a silverwing though - gimme a few days to play around a bit. I just lapped this AMAZING vintage flawless Thuringian hone that has been absolutely blowing my mind at how incredible of an edge it's putting on my razors, and this is the first razor I have used off of this stone, so it I don't know how much of the 100 out of 100 shave was due to the stone, or the steel. In either case, I am quite pleased with them both.

One thing I didn't notice at first, is the Silverwing is a humpback, in that the tang is above the spine, which REALLY gives you a wonderful amount of control. This is really a gem of a razor. I'd LOVE to try some of the other TI's they'll be rolling out with this steel, but this one seems to be a winner for sure. I'll be finishing 3 other TI's tonight on this amazing Thuringian, and shaving with them Mon, Tues, and Wed and see how much of a difference the stone makes. If it makes a huge difference, i'll drop the edge of the Silverwing a bit by using a new coticule to give me an idea of what most fellas will get "shave quality wise" outta these things if honed up properly. If it's the steel, and NOT the stone.... I'll be making myself a 7 day set of these, and be shaving with 'em at least 300 days a year - as today was just an AMAZING shave. Razor just slipped across my face, no sound of whiskers being cut AT ALL (almost as if this thing was a wedge) and after a good splashing of Italian Floid - there was NO, I mean NO hint of alcohol sting (or even as if there was no alchy in the a/s splash at all) and almost not hint or cooling of menthol..... that's how easy it was on my face.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom