What's new

Brush and Lathering??

Hello Gents...I am slowly but surely entering the traditional shaving foray and, after scanning the FAQs and numerous threads here and elsewhere, I still have a couple specific questions before I get started...like I said, I'm operating at the most basic level here, so please bear with me.

one...I have set my sights on a Merkur HD safety razor, but I'm still looking for a brush...money is an object, so I'd like to spend no more than $30 or $40...any suggestions?

two...what's is the basic method for using a brush, cream (i'm gonna use Nancy Boy) and cup/bowl?...what I've come across seems pretty complicated and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to transfer the cream into an empty cup and lather with a wet brush, or if I'm supposed to cover the brush with cream and then lather in a cup filled with hot water.

edit...also, could anyone tell me the difference of an open comb safety? based on what classicshaving.com says, that would work better for me because by beard is pretty thick, but they don't really elaborate what this is the case. can anyone explain?

thanks in advance for all of your insight...

Hey shorty.

In that price range, it is hard to beat the C&E best badger brush for about $35. It is on the scritchy side; if you want something really soft and luxurious you'll have to shell out a bit more. You can get a really nice, soft brush for about $58 (SR-208) at QED.

Check out the shave cream section for lots of info on lathering. In a nutshell, soak your brush and bowl for a bit in hot water (I leave mine in while I am showering), then hold the brush upside down for a few moments to let the excess water drain out. Then give it a shake or two to get some more out. Grab a snurdle of cream with your finger or some other object, maybe a teaspoon, and lather it up in the warm (dry) bowl. Others stick the brush in the tub, but it is harder to judge amounts for a new person, IMO.

Stick with the HD - it is fine for tough beards. There is a recent thread on open combs in the razor forum if you want more details.

BTW - Welcome!

Scotto said:
Hey shorty.

In that price range, it is hard to beat the C&E best badger brush for about $35. It is on the scritchy side; if you want something really soft and luxurious you'll have to shell out a bit more. You can get a really nice, soft brush for about $58 (SR-208) at QED.
LOL! Great minds think alike. :smile:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Scotto said:
Grab a snurdle of cream with your finger or some other object, maybe a teaspoon, and lather it up in the warm (dry) bowl.

For those interested, the snurdle is the SI unit of mass equal to 3 mattas.

For those wanting an even more accurate description, a snurdle is exactly 2.01058940 smidgeons. :tongue:

Shorty,

Welcome to B&B...Scotto has answered your questions sufficiently, but allow me to elaborate on one point. The difference in entry-level quality and mid-range quality is really only a couple of bucks. When u look at the C&E Brush for $35, yes, it's a fine brush and if money truly is an object, then that's your winner. However, at $58, you can move up to a really fantastic Saville Row brush from QED and yes, there's a major difference. For $23 more, you can move up to a brush that is really nice.

Again, welcome! :badger:

Welcome to B&B, Shorty. It looks as though you've already received much sage advice. In regards to the open comb, don't choose it as your first purchase. I began wet shaving with an open comb classic 1904 model Merkur (based on the same info from classic shaving). After a month or so, I purchased a regular comb razor and find it to be a much better razor.

Kyle said:
Welcome to B&B, Shorty. It looks as though you've already received much sage advice. In regards to the open comb, don't choose it as your first purchase. I began wet shaving with an open comb classic 1904 model Merkur (based on the same info from classic shaving). After a month or so, I purchased a regular comb razor and find it to be a much better razor.
Kyle,

You began shaving in 1904... holy crap man how old are you...

haha Flounder made a joke...

ouch said:
For those interested, the snurdle is the SI unit of mass equal to 3 mattas.

Actually, it is an old Imperial measure. There is a new SI unit of measure for shaving cream, but most of us ignore it as the French just made it up to annoy the English and Americans. The Germans are sitting on the fence on this one. The Spanish are having a siesta. The Italians are too busy mooching about to have noticed this international argument, but they'll switch sides halfway through.

Shorty, Welcome to B&B! Great to have you with us.

About a brush: Crabtree and Evelyn have a great little badger for $35 A great value for a really good brush.

With the cream: NB is a very good cream, I use it myself. First you'll run your lather bowl with brush inside it under very hot water and let the brush soak for a few minutes. Then take the brush out, dump out the water from the bowl. Flick the brush two or three times to remove the bulk of the water and dip it directly into the tub of Nancy Boy(aka NB) until the tips are coated, then swirl the brush for about 60 seconds in the empty bowl. If you need more water add it a few drops at a time into the bowl. You don't need much water and all you need can be held in the brush, you'll learn in time. After a minute or so, you'll have a nice thick rich lather, and just spread it on your face and you're ready to shave.

For a razor: I'd stick with the HD, over the open comb for now, the open comb is more aggressive yes, but for now you want something easier, ie the HD. And an HD can cut through the roughest of beards. Also keep in mind that you want to reduce your beard in passes not try to eliminate with one stroke. An HD will do the trick, then when you are more advanced and have mastered the basics look into an open comb or slant or other aggressive razor, but for now I can guarantee that an HD can do the trick.

Good luck and check out Mantic's Videos on YouTube if you haven't already. All of the vids are great and packed with wonderful info and Mark (Mantic) has a great sense of humor so they are entertaining as well. Go with God.

Top Bottom