What's new

English Bulldog

(Actually, I think that's a No. 66, but I'm not positive)

Good guess, but no. Common area of confusion, but this is not a #66 or 16. This is one of the so called "bulldog" handle razors. They are a little earlier than the #16/66. The dead giveaway difference is the wide smooth band just above the TTO. The smooth band at the top, just before the neck is also much wider, and roughly the same thickness as the rest of the handle, not set in.

These razors are somewhat of a rarity among British Gillette TTOs, in that they have the American style TTO mechanism, with the open end, where the TTO knob stays in one place relative to the rest of the handle. As opposed to all the other British TTOs (excluding any adjustables that were made in England) where the TTO knob screws up toward the handle, and there is a gap between TTO and handle when the head is closed.

The Aristocrat #15 is the only British razor with this style handle that I know for sure. As I remember, it was open comb, though. So I am not sure what this one is. There were American razors just like it. The Executive, I think (or the Diplomat, but I think the Executive).

-Mo

I think, it`s a Brit. Aristocrat No 21 with Pat No. 430 030. Maybe the same time from the Brit. Superspeed Doublering from the 1950s. The Box looks like a Brit. open comp Aristocrat from the 1930s. :cool:

I think, it`s a Brit. Aristocrat No 21 with Pat No. 430 030. Maybe the same time from the Brit. Superspeed Doublering from the 1950s. The Box looks like a Brit. open comp Aristocrat from the 1930s. :cool:

Thanks for answering that one. Nice razor. For some reason I was thinking the #21 was a little known #16/66 look alike. Was that maybe the #22, or am I totally off the deep end here.

Also, am I right that the #15 is an open comb with this style handle? (But maybe in gold finish.)

-Mo

Thanks for answering that one. Nice razor. For some reason I was thinking the #21 was a little known #16/66 look alike. Was that maybe the #22, or am I totally off the deep end here.

Also, am I right that the #15 is an open comb with this style handle? (But maybe in gold finish.)

-Mo

I don´t know the numbers from the other Brit. Aristocrates. I´ve no Card Box from him. There are some difference in the handle. Look here:

I don´t know the numbers from the other Brit. Aristocrates. I´ve no Card Box from him. There are some difference in the handle. Look here:

Thanks. I could have sworn I've seen the upper right in a #15 box, but not absolutely sure.

The matching silver and gold on the bottom right are #66s, right? (At least they are the same razor, although might have had different numbers on the box.)

Is the one on the lower left a heavy brass construction like the others, or a featherweight aluminum job? I ask because the while the standard nickel version is not uncommon (the "Heavy Handle" Rocket), I have only seen a couple of gold ones, including one I have. And all of them were totally aluminum construction, weighing next to nothing. Very odd.

Nice razors, as always.

-Mo

Is the one on the lower left a heavy brass construction like the others, or a featherweight aluminum job? I ask because the while the standard nickel version is not uncommon (the "Heavy Handle" Rocket), I have only seen a couple of gold ones, including one I have. And all of them were totally aluminum construction, weighing next to nothing. Very odd.

Nice razors, as always.

-Mo

Yes, the lower left one is full aluminium. I think it´s a Brit. double ring Superspeed (Krumholz book page 247)

Yes, the lower left one is full aluminium. I think it´s a Brit. double ring Superspeed (Krumholz book page 247)

Have you tried shaving with it? I did twice. I guess it was ok, I just couldn't get over the not weighing anything. Gave a lot of feedback, but obviously had to apply more pressure.

-Mo

That one on the top bought by a "forum member", might be a mis-match of razor and box. The case looks like a #15 case with the swivel blade bank. But, may still be one to droool over :001_tt1:

Top Bottom