What's new

Unfortunate lesson about AV

I had an... uhm... interesting experience last night. My wife and I were in Walgreens to pick up a bottle of headslick and just generally peruse the as-seen-on-tv junk. Well, while standing in the shaving aisle, admiring the overpriced, limited selection of shaving accoutrements I spotted the walgreens knock-off of Aqua Velva Blue. Well, I have a bad habit of sniffing the easily opened after shaves (I'm sure none of you have this habit. :rolleyes: ). As many of you know, the store-brand smells almost identical but it comes in a pliable plastic container rather than the classier glass bottle of real aqua velva. My technique for checking the scent of anything in a plastic bottle is to hold it a short distance under my nose and give a gentle squeeze, sniffing the air above it... this sort of gives you a concentrated whiff. Well, I don't know if it was because my wife bumped me at the exact moment, or if I was just being careless, or if it was just that I didn't realize the thing was so freaking full, but just as I went to sniff, that stuff shot straight up my nose. :cursing:

BOY HOWDY!!!!! You think pinaud's bay rum burns. My friends, let me testify, you ain't felt nothin' yet. Boy did that sting. An hour later my sinus cavities were aching. The burn had subsided but boy that was still painful. The upside to this little misadventure was that everything smelled pretty nice for the rest of the evening. I guess it's a good thing that I like the smell of AV. Another "pleasant?" side effect was that it opened my sinuses. So let this be a warning/lesson to all. Aqua Velva makes a great, albeit painful, nasal-spray.

So, do I win any kind of halloween award for my true-life horror story? :a51:
I wouldn't be opposed to a free sample of something. As long as it's not Aqua Velva.

That sounds a bit like Doc Mottern. Although I think he dribbles it on to his bathroom counter top and then snorts it to finish off his shave for the day! :crying:

IAs many of you know, the store-brand smells almost identical but it comes in a pliable plastic container rather than the classier glass bottle of real aqua velva.

FWIW, I can smell a definite difference between the CVS version and the real deal. The CVS version is lacking some sort of spiciness note; it really isn't as good. I haven't checked the Walgreen version.

BOY HOWDY!!!!!

I haven't heard that since college (except out of my own mouth). Had a housemate from Cleveland that said it all the time, and it wormed its way into my own mannerisms.

I had an... uhm... interesting experience last night. My wife and I were in Walgreens to pick up a bottle of headslick and just generally peruse the as-seen-on-tv junk. Well, while standing in the shaving aisle, admiring the overpriced, limited selection of shaving accoutrements I spotted the walgreens knock-off of Aqua Velva Blue. Well, I have a bad habit of sniffing the easily opened after shaves (I'm sure none of you have this habit. :rolleyes: ). As many of you know, the store-brand smells almost identical but it comes in a pliable plastic container rather than the classier glass bottle of real aqua velva. My technique for checking the scent of anything in a plastic bottle is to hold it a short distance under my nose and give a gentle squeeze, sniffing the air above it... this sort of gives you a concentrated whiff. Well, I don't know if it was because my wife bumped me at the exact moment, or if I was just being careless, or if it was just that I didn't realize the thing was so freaking full, but just as I went to sniff, that stuff shot straight up my nose. :cursing:

BOY HOWDY!!!!! You think pinaud's bay rum burns. My friends, let me testify, you ain't felt nothin' yet. Boy did that sting. An hour later my sinus cavities were aching. The burn had subsided but boy that was still painful. The upside to this little misadventure was that everything smelled pretty nice for the rest of the evening. I guess it's a good thing that I like the smell of AV. Another "pleasant?" side effect was that it opened my sinuses. So let this be a warning/lesson to all. Aqua Velva makes a great, albeit painful, nasal-spray.

So, do I win any kind of halloween award for my true-life horror story? :a51:
I wouldn't be opposed to a free sample of something. As long as it's not Aqua Velva.

And to think I was debating putting Aqua Velva in my Neti Pot.

Oddly enough, I went on to ask my wife for som AV for Christmas. I'm loving the stuff. I have it in fairly high rotation. Still don't want to snort it tho.

Oddly enough, I went on to ask my wife for som AV for Christmas. I'm loving the stuff. I have it in fairly high rotation. Still don't want to snort it tho.

My friend Molly asked me if I'd pick her and others up from Albany Friday night after she'll have been drinking. I was talking about boxed wine (cheap merlot mixed with orangeade 1:1 is great) before that, and she said she'd get me that for payment. But I just bought a box. She said she'd buy me alcohol. My eyes lit up, and I said, "Alcohol! Yes! I'm almost out of Aqua Velva!" She said, "isn't that stuff, like, $50 a bottle?" I said "it's $5 a bottle!" and my roommate informed her that it's aftershave.

So I'm getting Aqua Velva for being a designated driver :thumbup1:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
BOY HOWDY!!!!!

I haven't heard that since college (except out of my own mouth). Had a housemate from Cleveland that said it all the time, and it wormed its way into my own mannerisms.

The only time I hear that expression is on King of the Hill, and it's Peggy Hill, the painfully square and out-of-it housewife who says it! :lol:

The only time I hear that expression is on King of the Hill, and it's Peggy Hill, the painfully square and out-of-it housewife who says it! :lol:
I only heard it from the hip, cool, groovy and far out Creem bottle guy.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
That must have been a burn. now you now to give up that sniffing i guess.

Quite the contrary, right now my sinuses are so fouled up from all the pollen in the air that I'm strongly considering switching from sniffing to snorting! :eek:

Top Bottom