What's new

A Tale of Two TV SuperSpeeds...

I took a couple of pictures of the two TV SSs side by side. The lighting's not much better in the living room but I think it gets the point across. I guess I need to break down and buy that Speedlight. :001_rolle

Anyway here's a couple of pictures with the tops up and down. I'm of the opinon the 1954 TV SuperSpeed may rival the 195 for rarity. I mean how often do you guys see them on Ebay? Could this be an undervalued razor? Of course this is one situation where the case makes the razor so it could be that there are a lot of 54 TVs out there sans their cases. I don't know what do you guys think?

proxy.php

proxy.php

The 1954 ones are rare when complete with the case and everything, especially NOS, and they are Z3, otherwise, the razor is the same as its superspeed kins.

Attachments

• $PICT0030s.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 263
  • $PICT0001s.jpg
    $PICT0001s.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 264
  • $PICT0006s.jpg
    $PICT0006s.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 257
Cutting Edge (name please?) do you own that entire card of 54 TVs? Are the others in the photo also a part of your personal collection?

What would you say to my comment about the 54 TV being as rare-perhaps rarer-than the 195?

The 1954 ones are rare when complete with the case and everything, especially NOS, and they are Z3, otherwise, the razor is the same as its superspeed kins.

Dude hang out more often nice to here from you. shoot me and email love to chat. Are you going to be in Ohio on the 20th

Cutting Edge (name please?) do you own that entire card of 54 TVs? Are the others in the photo also a part of your personal collection?

What would you say to my comment about the 54 TV being as rare-perhaps rarer-than the 195?

Mark his collection is out of control:thumbup:

:blushing:

No these are not as scarce than the so-called 195 (fatboys with the dial at the bottom of handle), but in comparison to the rest of the super-speeds they are scarce. Again, since the razor by itself is not different from other issues, the set as a whole is unique and considered a "prize" item.
Yes I do own everything on the pics I post here, and I enjoy chatting about these beaties, so if you have questions please go ahead.
Best regards to all,
Arik (C_S_R).

Dude hang out more often nice to here from you. shoot me and email love to chat. Are you going to be in Ohio on the 20th

Yes I am as a matter of fact, as I did last year. It is simply a 4 hour drive for me from Detroit, but there were pople coming from all over, NY, NJ, CA, etc. It was nice retreat, a chance to see some other stuff, meet some heavy collectors, talk about web sites and so on. People are very friendly, it is a different crowd, no bones about it :001_unsur There's a group here and SMF that is seriously into collecting and are quite knowledgeable actually. I like the conversations in the discussion boards, sometimes a little bit funny, but often I end up learning soemthing I didn't know before! Would be great see more faces at the razor meeting, it is not too late....!
Best,
Arik.

Hey Mark! Congratulations on finding that one, I know you have been searching for a long time. Yes I believe the 54' TV Club is smaller than the 195 Club. However that is because it hadn't been publicized. Most don't think anything of a 40's Style Super Speed other than a great utilitarian razor. The only way they are highly valued is for the scarcer ones with mint condition boxes and all the sealed paperwork. Outside of that you are looking at a $10 razor. So with the 54' TV model we have what everyone identifies as a $10 razor so they have no need to search beyond that. As said before the case is what makes that razor and Arik's stash is an anomaly. A very drool worthy anomaly at that :ouch1: but you don't find those cases out and about because they are scarce and people don't know they are scarce so they don't publicize when they have one.

Congrads again Mark! I know it takes a lot of searching and a lot of luck to find those. When I got mine I was the only bidder and I thought it was a mismatched razor with the wrong case. Then it was discussed and I realized I had just lucked into the jewel of my collection! :cool: Then after trying to find another one I found one that went for $100+ I don't remember what the final was but it was out of my range when you consider I had one that was just not as complete as that one. The other one that I saw on ebay was in the same condition as mine so I passed. After that I had only heard of one other before your Mark so I give you a big welcome to the club!

Charlie thank ye, thank ye! It is nice to be here! :biggrin:

Arik nice to meet you and Mike's right about the title. I think you have DE Envious to look forward to! :smile:

Anyone have an idea whether or not the first TV Special was a regional/limited release? I know it was late in the year and I suppose since tv ownership (these razors were part of a tv promotion Gillette was doing or at least the '58 was) wasn't as widespread in '54 as it is today, I guess it could be considered limited in that sense but I wonder if it were truly limited. I also wonder if the reason that there was a four year hiatus between production of the first and second TV Special is because Gillette chose to wait for more televisions to find their way into American homes before doing the next TV Special. Just a thought...

Yes I am as a matter of fact, as I did last year. It is simply a 4 hour drive for me from Detroit, but there were people coming from all over, NY, NJ, CA, etc. It was nice retreat, a chance to see some other stuff, meet some heavy collectors, talk about web sites and so on. People are very friendly, it is a different crowd, no bones about it :001_unsur There's a group here and SMF that is seriously into collecting and are quite knowledgeable actually. I like the conversations in the discussion boards, sometimes a little bit funny, but often I end up learning something I didn't know before! Would be great see more faces at the razor meeting, it is not too late....!
Best,
Arik.

i did not go last year but will be down this year. does it mater if you go Saturday or Sunday (is one day better then the other) look forward to seeing you there

Top Bottom