What's new

Repainting a RedTip?

I picked up a redtip superspeed. It looks ok most of all, but the paint it wearing off in parts. Has anyone successfully repainted the tip, or do most just leave it as is? I

I think it could be done but the person doing it would have to be very good with paint, stripping and an airbrush. I don't believe you could freehand brush it and make it look good. Also, you run into the problem of effort versus return. It would be a $100 effort to turn your chipped razor into something worth $40-$50.

Hmm, I am ok with it not looking like a $50 razor (I got it locally for 3:smile: ). I guess this means not many people have bothered attempting this. :confused:

Hmm, I am ok with it not looking like a $50 razor (I got it locally for 3:smile: ). I guess this means not many people have bothered attempting this. :confused:

I have one that has lost a lot of the red paint. I am infact thinking of scraping the remaining paint off. Sort of make it look like a flare tip rocket. :sneaky2: I guess thats easier than painting it.:biggrin: Will let you know how it turns out once its done.

I painted the silo doors of my 1968 Knack with a car paint touch up brush. Ok, the handle is not flat as the silo doors, but I would give this a try first. But I wouldn't bother with scrubbing off the old paint, try painting over the old paint first.

If you decide to re-paint consider using Humbrol enamel, buy it from a model shop in tiny tins, all colours are available, chances are you will find a fair match.
John.

You could always paint it black, rename it as a black tipped SuperSpeed HD that's better than new, & put it on Ebay for BIN price of $300.

I think it could be done but the person doing it would have to be very good with paint, stripping and an airbrush. I don't believe you could freehand brush it and make it look good. Also, you run into the problem of effort versus return. It would be a $100 effort to turn your chipped razor into something worth $40-$50.

Give me a break. You could strip if it's even necessary by soaking the knob in lacquer thinner for 30 minutes. Mask off the knob and either free hand paint it with an artist brush or mask off the whole razor and spray it with a rattle can. It's hardly $100 worth of effort unless your charging $100 per hour. If it was me I'd get some dark red model paint (maroon) run a strip of tape around the handle and do it with a brush.
Bob.

V

VR6ofpain

Why not just strip off the paint and have an all nickel Heavy SS?

As stated on another forum, Krylon Int'l Harvester paint matches fine. This should be a fairly simple project actually. I'll be doing this on a distressed Red Tip sometime in the near future.

Leave it alone...

Who cares if it has small imperfections in the color of the handle...

If it shaves good, Leave it alone...

Paint doesn't make it a good shave...

What's the problem...

Enjoy your shave... :biggrin:

Leave it alone...

What's the problem...

I agree that paint does not make it a good shave but neither does having multiple razors, soaps, creams, brushes....but we know how many of those we have.:001_rolle When using the Mach3 i was in search of a good shave. Used to get one good shave out of twenty. After becoming a part of B&B its just the opposite. One in twenty shaves is bad and that is usually due to a bad blade or a hasty prep etc. So just getting a good shave is just not enough. How i get it now counts. The options that i have now makes it interesting and takes the monotony out of shaving. What razors i use and how they look and how i maintain them is all part of the process for me. Its like owning a bike. Just riding it is not enough. Tinkering with it in my driveway is part of it. You can call it a guy thing or even being picky but its fun. Well if you can have fun when doing something right then two thumbs up from me. :thumbup:

Leave it alone...

What's the problem...

I haven't bothered painting it, but I did polish it today. I was just curious how others have done it, but it sounds like most haven't bothered. But, this isn't a major problem.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
You could mask it off and then DIP it into enamel paint..say a "School Bus Yellow" or "Tennessee Orange" and really freak everybody out!

Top Bottom