What's new

Transferring blades

I easily get seven good shaves out of most kinds of blades. My beard is not real heavy and I do a two-pass shave most days. While I have always left the blade in the same razor for all seven shaves, this morning I tried transferring a used blade to a different razor after four shaves and the results were terrible. The blade pulled uncomfortably and felt rough. I also got several small nicks. Is this just a fluke or does the blade conform itself to the characteristics of the razor in which it is first used thus making it unusable in a different razor? Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?

I haven't Rich, and I'm not likely to. At $0.10 per blade or less, it's just not worth it to me to chance it. I have a heavy coarse beard that eats up blades and I generally don't try for more than three shaves with one.

V

VR6ofpain

Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?
I transferred an ISP from one razor to another with poor results. I am sure the same shave (#4 I think it would have been) would have been just fine if I had not changed razors, as I usually use ISP's 4-6 shaves, depending on my mood and what day it is.

The DE blade is flexed by the head of the razor when it is installed, and that curvature varies from model to model.

I think if you go from an HD to an HD you might be fine. But why would you do that in the first place? Ok, maybe from an HD to a Progress, would be fine also.

From an HD to a Slant, now that might be problematic IMO, since the blade angle is different. Both the razor and your face has shaped the blade as well. Having said that, I did go from HD to a Slant, but with Derbys not being the sharpest I got away with it ok.

Rich, I had a similar experience with blade transfer, so I don't do that anymore. I load the razor, leave the blade until it's time to swap it out. If I want to use a different razor, I charge that razor with its own blade.

-- John Gehman

I easily get seven good shaves out of most kinds of blades. My beard is not real heavy and I do a two-pass shave most days. While I have always left the blade in the same razor for all seven shaves, this morning I tried transferring a used blade to a different razor after four shaves and the results were terrible. The blade pulled uncomfortably and felt rough. I also got several small nicks. Is this just a fluke or does the blade conform itself to the characteristics of the razor in which it is first used thus making it unusable in a different razor? Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?

I swapped the Swede from my Slant after 5 shaves, into my Futur, I have now shaved 32 times with that blade and each shave has been perfect, I see no signs yet that the blade is getting dull. Sorry to contradict but this has been my experience.
John.

I have now shaved 32 times with that blade and each shave has been perfect, I see no signs yet that the blade is getting dull. Sorry to contradict but this has been my experience.
John.

WOW!!! 32 that is Magic! (Johnson), but seriously, I have never gone past 7 days with a blade from all the talk here on B&B. But I am going to give a Derby a try for the long run (hoping for 10 days). But that is going to increase my alternating blades longer and it might take 3 years to go thru all my sample pack.

WOW!!! 32 that is Magic! (Johnson), but seriously, I have never gone past 7 days with a blade from all the talk here on B&B. But I am going to give a Derby a try for the long run (hoping for 10 days). But that is going to increase my alternating blades longer and it might take 3 years to go thru all my sample pack.

I'm pretty amazed myself! The thing is though; I think many men, me included in the past, have tossed out a blade if it tugged just once, I have found however that most times it was less than optimum preparation or just one of those "Bad Shave Days" that we all get once in a while. If you try the blade again next day and this time pay extra attention to the prep, you often, (nearly always in my case), get a good shave again. This has been the basis of my experimentation and 32 shaves and not out yet is the result at this time. This is not guess work, I log each shave and score the quality of the shave, (a scale of 1 to 10), that way I can monitor the performance of each blade and notice any fluctuation in the shave quality.
Ok, I realize this may seem rather obsessive but it really isn't, it's just that I have an experimental kind of mind and like to see what can be achieved. Also it mustn't be assumed that I am putting up with mediocre shaves; I'm not, each shave is scored and I am getting as good shaves as when the blade was new. BTW. I always cork my blades once when new, before first use.
John.
PS. Oh! Magic Johnson, I get it!! Sometimes it takes a while for the penny to drop.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I use the same blade in the same razor for three days. After that I change the blade and use a different razor.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I use the same blade in the same razor for three days. After that I change the blade and use a different razor.

Same here...3 days MAX...sometimes only 2 because yes....I Got A Few Blades...LOL. Only thing different is I typically use my Merkur 38C everyday. I guess I could rummage through some old boxes...there has GOT to be a couple old Gillettes hanging around the temporary bachelor pad....

The day before yesterday I transferred an Israeli from my 38C to my Schick Krona and had a terrible shave.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
The day before yesterday I transferred an Israeli from my 38C to my Schick Krona and had a terrible shave.

Rufus....I admire your "diversity" among your tools...but as I have stated in the past, the Schick Krona is the "Dirk Diggler" of DE's and then that would make the Merkur 38C the "Steve McQueen". But if you dig it....thats cool...I mean no disrespect.

+1 I tried switching blades right when I first started because I had a sampler pack but I do think the flex changes from razor to razor. Definitely don't try this with a slant!:w00t:

The DE blade is flexed by the head of the razor when it is installed, and that curvature varies from model to model.

Mike, I like both my 38C and my Schick Krona, but with different blades. For me the 38C and my EJ D/E with a faux ivory handle work best with Merkurs and Derbys whereas my Schick Krona and English fat handle tech work best with sharper blades, e.g. Israelis and Swedes. The only razor that I never have liked regardless of blade used is a Progress; after struggling with one for year I off loaded it to a fellow forum member. I also have had a bad experience with a Gillette New open-comb, but I haven't given up on it yet. Similarly, I have had a less than satisfactory experience with a Gillette moon/ball tip tech and an Israeli, which is odd since both my Krona and English tech perform very well with Israelis. Having said all that I guess i have multiple personalities: Jack Nicholson perhaps?

I'm pretty amazed myself! The thing is though; I think many men, me included in the past, have tossed out a blade if it tugged just once, I have found however that most times it was less than optimum preparation or just one of those "Bad Shave Days" that we all get once in a while. If you try the blade again next day and this time pay extra attention to the prep, you often, (nearly always in my case), get a good shave again. This has been the basis of my experimentation and 32 shaves and not out yet is the result at this time. This is not guess work, I log each shave and score the quality of the shave, (a scale of 1 to 10), that way I can monitor the performance of each blade and notice any fluctuation in the shave quality.
Ok, I realize this may seem rather obsessive but it really isn't, it's just that I have an experimental kind of mind and like to see what can be achieved. Also it mustn't be assumed that I am putting up with mediocre shaves; I'm not, each shave is scored and I am getting as good shaves as when the blade was new. BTW. I always cork my blades once when new, before first use.
John.
PS. Oh! Magic Johnson, I get it!! Sometimes it takes a while for the penny to drop.

Up to 32 are you? I wonder what the record is for shaves with one blade.

Top Bottom