What's new

D.R. Harris Marlborough arrived today!

Good evening. I thought I'd share my latest acquisition with you. A parcel arrived today from Shaving Essentials. Included in this package was a big jar of J.M. Fraser shave cream and a mahogany bowl of D.R. Harris Marlborough shave soap! The two Johns at SE ordered this soap w/bowl for me and it shipped Monday. Talk about fast. Everything arrived in good shape.

I immediately opened the box containing the shave soap and took a deep whiff. Wow. I love this soap. It reminds me of something I already have but cannot quite put my finger on it. To my nose it has a cedar/sandalwood/lavender/soapy/old world scent to it that is at once gentlemanly and comforting. This one shall be assailed by the Edwin Jagger finest tomorrow morning!

I can't say enough about Shaving Essentials. They answered all my emails promptly, walked me through the purchase, and followed up with a shipping email. I am most pleased. Now I just have to wait till the morn to try this soap. BTW, this is my first D.R. Harris product and I am thrilled to finally add one of their products to my toiletry locker.

Regards, Todd

Congrats Todd! I received my D.R. Harris Lavender shave cream in the mail yesterday and whipped up some sweet super lather this morning with my D.R. Harris Arlington soap. I love this stuff!

And on a side note...my silvertip brush should be here today. Woo Hoo!!

Hooo-yaaaa.

I'm becoming a big fan of D.R. Harris. They are in the back of today's G2 section in the Manchester Guardian. Except they printed their name as Dr. Harris.

Expect a correction in tomorrow's Guardian. (Two mentions for the price of one!)

Good morning. Thank you all for the nice replies. Indeed, the Harris soaps is good. I shaved with it this morning and while I will not violate my self imposed rule of using a product 3-5 times before passing judgement, I can tell you it performed the same way that Tabac soap did. Which is to say, excellent. More to come but unless I've missed the guess, there will be three more D.R. Harris soaps in my toiletry locker.

Regards, Todd

Good afternoon gentlemen. I thought I would pass along some final thoughts about the D.R. Harris Marlborough shave soap. One word comes to mind; superb. I have now shaved 4-5 times with the soap and it is excellent. Bordering on the same level as Tabac hard soap. In fact, I would say it is essentially the same performance wise. I love the scent but still cannot quite place it. I seem to have some sort of "scent memory" with it. I have sniffed something almost identical to it but for the life of me can not remember what it was. I thoroughly enjoy using this soap.

The presentation is superb as well. A white box with the Harris logo and Marlborough name on the round label gives an understated elegance and charm to the product. You simply feel gentlemanly when you handle the product. It may not quite be Penhaligon's presentation but it's very close. The bowl has a similar round label on the lid and an additional narrow adhesive label goes over and down the sides of the bowl to keep the lid attached whilst it is in transit. The grain of the mahogany bowl is stunning. I need to take some macro photos of the bowl. It is beautiful and I have no qualms at having payed the higher price for the mahogany bowl rather than the lesser priced beechwood bowl. This one is a winner men. I have learned to be quite sparing in my praise of these shave lathers anymore. Just the curmudgeon in me I suppose. Yet when they are excellent plus, I will gladly give them their due. D.R. Harris shave soaps easily meet and exceed that criteria. I fully intend to try the Arlington version of this soap. I do not have a citrus scented hard soap in the toiletry locker and if the performance is anything like the Marlborough, I will have another winner in the stable.

Regards, Todd

Thanks for the follow up, Todd. You seem to be a gent of very discriminating tastes, and I highly value your evaluations.

I recently received a sample of this soap (thanks Bob!) I haven't had a chance to use it, I'm waiting until my DE arrives, but the scent is outstanding. I have a very strong feeling, I'll be buying a bowl very shortly.

Hi Tim. If your experience is anything like mine, then I would almost guarantee that driectly, you will be short some cash. I purchased mine from Shaving Essentials and couldn't be happier. There aren't too many Harris dealers in the U.S. the Johns happily ordered up the mahogany bowl version for me. I was perfectly happy with the price as well. I will not mention that price because the exchange rate fluctuates terrifically and mayhaps cause them to quote you something different. So talk to them and check it out. I do know that the beech bowl was several dollars less and the refills are an out and out bargain. In a good rotation of soaps, it will last YEARS.

Regards, Todd

Just tired this soap this morning and it provided one of the best, most comfortable shaves I have ever had! Great stuff I highly recommend it!

Top Bottom