What's new

Med Shave Livorno & Florence

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Livorno & Florence

Again didn’t waste any time in Livorno. Got on the bus and headed for Florence. We started at Santa Croce, or as MBW called it Jim Croce square, and worked our way to Santa Maria Novella. On the way I stopped at every farmacia that I saw and asked for Proraso. Most had Gillette and Noxema on display. It almost seemed like they kept the Proraso hidden. Then I asked for the one in the red tube and no one had it.

Finally we arrived at Santa Maria Novella.
View attachment 9342
It was kind of hard to find. I thought it was part of the cathedral, but it was actually around the corner. Due to construction and language barriers we had to get directions twice and finally found it. We walked in to find a rather dimly lit store that looked more like a jewelers than a farmacia.
View attachment 9343
After walking about the two rooms for a few minutes and taking a few pictures I stood in line at the counter to wait my turn to be ignored. It was the most anti sales place I had been in since we arrived. Back at the leather store you couldn’t get six feet in the place without being draped in leather and told how magnificent it looks on you. It wasn’t that I wanted someone to push products down my throat, but at least make me feel good about the purchase, make me want more, convince me how much I will enjoy using this stuff. Well that didn’t happen. So for 25 Euro I bought a 100 ml tub of lavenda pre-dopo-barba, pre shave cream, and another 30 or so Euro got a 100 ml bottle of lavenda after shave lotion.
View attachment 9344
I wasn’t sure what the shelf life was on this stuff and since the guys back at the leather shop relieved me of most of the money I had left that was the extent of what I bought. I still have nearly a full 250 ml tub of crema da barba so now the set is complete. The exchange rate wasn’t very favorable either. So even though I really like this stuff, I left the place feeling a little let down. I couldn’t even use what I bought because as soon as we got back to the ship we had to pack all of our checked bags and put them in the hall for departure.

I saw a few barber shops while we were there but they were all closed, so getting a straight shave was right out. I wish this was not the last day because I had really built it up in my head and now it is over. Unfortunately, in the end, I see Gillette Fusion and gel taking over the shave world. I will continue to search out shave products in my travels, but have finally settled on the fact that the internet is our best friend for buying the best shave products.

I will continue to search out shave products in my travels, but have finally settled on the fact that the internet is our best friend for buying the best shave products.
But of course, it will only remain so as long as there is something to import! Let's face it, almost no mass-produced shave creams (real ones, not the fake things they call shave creams) are left in the US. (I don't know if you can call Tom's of Maine or KMF 'mass-produced' in the same way as Palmolive was.) But the red Proraso is gone, Noxzema was almost gone. Hopefully, Italy will hold the fort. I would have said England, but they seem to have faltered , too.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
But of course, it will only remain so as long as there is something to import! Let's face it, almost no mass-produced shave creams (real ones, not the fake things they call shave creams) are left in the US. (I don't know if you can call Tom's of Maine or KMF 'mass-produced' in the same way as Palmolive was.) But the red Proraso is gone, Noxzema was almost gone. Hopefully, Italy will hold the fort. I would have said England, but they seem to have faltered , too.

So is the Noxema any good? I ignored it while I was there. Could be a while before I get back over there. Next year will probably be Mexico at an all inclusive resort. I'm not holding my breath for anything great there.

So is the Noxema any good? I ignored it while I was there. Could be a while before I get back over there. Next year will probably be Mexico at an all inclusive resort. I'm not holding my breath for anything great there.
Well, as they say, YMMV.
One member (name unmentioned) was ready to do almost anything to get some more. See here for a source.
You might be able to get some of the last Proraso Red there, also.

I think that site needs to lose the "imported exclusively by" text from the product descriptions. Now that paydepst has started his shop that site is not the only importer.

I think that site needs to lose the "imported exclusively by" text from the product descriptions. Now that paydepst has started his shop that site is not the only importer.

That's good. Does Paydepst have the Noxzema in stock? I want to order some. Thanks!

I was in Taormina about six months ago. There is a pharmacy on the right side of the main street, just past a little square that had Noxzema.

Top Bottom