What's new

Schiller's Pharmacy -Pittsburgh, PA

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you guys know who live nearby...

Schiller's Pharmacy in Pittsburgh, PA (Shadyside area) has upgraded it's shaving stock.

I've been to Schiller's about 6 times since I started wet shaving (May 2005). The have always had some items but nothing more than few good body soaps worth purchasing, but everything changed with my visit today.

I picked up some Pre de Provence soap ($15). Have never used this soap.
Luxo Banho Sandalwood soap ($6). I always have a bar of this in my house.
Musgo Real Body Soap ($6.50). Have never used the body soap but love the cream and aftershave.

They also now carry the AOS line of creams, soaps and colognes. They also have a few select models of Merkur razors and a ton of colognes.

The nice lady working the counter said that they have had the AOS line in for a few months and can't keep it in stock. She said demand has been very good. Will be making another trip sometime next week.

Patrick

Patrick-

What are the cross streets there?... I am planning another visit east and would like to give them a try.

Thanks

I was just there and was pleased to find they carry more shaving goodies than previously. Didn't (yet :smile: ) get the Pre de Provence soap, but I did pick up an unlabeled almond scented shave soap that was on a nearby shelf.

The location is South Aiken Ave. and Walnut Street.

There's another shop (Toadflax) with AOS and Kiehl's products a block down Walnut St. and a L'Occitane shop across the street.

I stopped by Schiller's today and learned they have a variety of items, including shaving stuff, on sale for 20% off this month. Some shelves were marked that there's a $20.00 minimum purchase for the discount on those items; that wasn't an issue for me so I didn't pursue it.

You might want to call for details and whether an item's in stock. They were out of the first item on my list, but it's on order and they'll hold one for me. Good service.

I'll be in Pittsburg the weekend of 8/4. Are there any places other than those already mentioned that might be worth stopping at?

Rick

I'll be in Pittsburg the weekend of 8/4. Are there any places other than those already mentioned that might be worth stopping at?

Rick

Rick,

I do wish someone would chime in with lots of great places in the 'burgh for shaving stuff, but here's a link to an earlier post of mine.
I guess I was feeling a bit cranky when I wrote this http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=236371&postcount=2,
but I think it's still useful.

My impression of Schiller's has rocketed upwards since that post (see above), and they now carry AOS. I suppose Saks will do if you're on Smithfield St. and have to get some AOS or Jack Black that instant.:frown: Haven't been back to Larrimor's.

I think Schiller's is the place to start. Feel free to PM me for more info.

Enjoy your visit . (BTW, it's Pittsburgh, with an "h" at the end. :biggrin: )

Did a quick walkthrough Friday on my way to Niagara. Went back on Monday and the whole area had lost power. He did have some nice items. That being the case, I went over to Pamala's(sp?) on 21st for breakfast and found a Beauty and Barber Supply on Smallman St between 20th & 21st. Stock of inexpensive brushes, shavettes, one Dovo, Clubman, Pinaud and Lucky Tiger. Just noted brands and not particularly what the products were. Also had feathers, 5 for a dollar.

Thanks to previous contributors to this thread, I visited Schiller's on 1/26/09 and they did indeed still have a selection of shaving products and (two) razors.

I bought the Merkur Classic, which was a tad overpriced at $55, but thanks to a 20% off sale, it was only $44. This was closer to the price I'd hoped to pay online (including shipping), so I took the plunge.

They also had Merkur travel classic, which seemed exorbitantly overpriced at $70. Even with the 20% off, my sense is that this razor ought to be in the $30-something range, not the $50-something range.

As far as other shaving products go, they seemed to my admittedly newbie-ish eye to have a good selection of brushes, in a range of quality levels.

They had a relatively wide selection of AOS products, as well as some other brands, but I didn't see many of the more famous lines I've read much about online, e.g. Taylor of Bond Street, Proraso, etc. The layout was quite complicated, though, and I was mainly shopping for a razor, so I may have missed something.

Anyway, just an update for any Pittsburghers out there, as the last post was about a year and a half old.

found a Beauty and Barber Supply on Smallman St between 20th & 21st. Stock of inexpensive brushes, shavettes, one Dovo, Clubman, Pinaud and Lucky Tiger. Just noted brands and not particularly what the products were. Also had feathers, 5 for a dollar.

I happened to stop in this place today, and they only had Dorco blades. Also some $15 TTO type DE razors, packaged in zip-lock bags, with no identifiable markings on them. The owner said they came from "abroad". :confused: I didn't get one.

I left Pittsburgh last August to move my wife to Salt Lake City. She had worked in Pittsburgh for eighteen months. I cleaned the barber supply place out of Feather Blades a while back. That was about the time that Classic was becoming the distributor. My wife had an apartment at the Pennsylvanian (old Penn Station Building) so when I was in town we would walk the strip area. Many great shops. For those that like a truck stop type breakfast, I would recommend Jojo's. I think it was on 24th and a block off of Penn.

I grew up in the 'burgh and went to Duquesne. I live in Connecticut now, but am headed back this weekend to take my 5-year-old to the Penguins/Senators game at the Igloo. (I'm almost as excited as he is.) I'm staying at an old fraternity brother's apartment in the Cork Factory (Strip District) and plan on hitting Barber's Supply, Primanti's, Larrimor's and JoJo's (in that order). I'll report back next week, if I don't have a heart attack, that is!

Well, I'm back and I survived. It was a great trip, and while the Pens lost in a shootout, Marc-Andre Fleury (the goalie) signed my 5 year-old son's new hat after the game. I made it to Barber's Supply minutes before their 1:30 Saturday afternoon closing time, so it was a bit of a rushed mental inventory. Rickw's report above remains accurate, although the Dovo was gone. They did have a plastic "penny candy-type" bin of DE razors on top of the counter where the five or so brushes were displayed. They looked like cheap, imitation no-date Super Speeds. They were in individual ziplock bags and seemed to be entirely aluminum, as they were very light. $12.95, I believe. Lots of Jeris and Pinaud (although no Quinine Hair Tonic, which was one of the two things I had hoped to purchase). Also, lots of the "classic" Lucky Tiger http://www.getluckytiger.com/classicProd.htmlproducts, but none of the "premium" stuff (LT moisturizer with Shea Butter being the other thing on my shopping list). I didn't see any blades, but by the time I was done looking at the stuff in the hair aisle, Ms. Barber Supply was clearly ready to count her drawer and get out of Dodge before the St. Patrick's Day parade crowd over-ran the Strip. I didn't make it to Larrimor's, as the street closings for the parade prohibited easy access.

As for the food, Primanti's lunch on Saturday was perfect, as always, and the ice cold Iron City shared with at least a dozen other Pens' fans made it that much better. Luckily, my son loves egg sandwiches (calls them all "crabby patties" for some reason - don't think he realizes that Mr. Squarepants is a burger cook), so I was safe. No chicken nuggets at Primanti's! We tried to have dinner at the Gandy Dancer at Station Square after the game, but the boy was literally snoring on the banquette minutes after we ordered. ("Take it to go, Jack!") I received many exhortations for DeLuca's over JoJo's, so Sunday's breakfast found us there. There's nothing like sitting at a counter ("Hey, Daddy! These chairs are stuck in the floor!"), ordering a huge mushroom, swiss and spinach omelete with a side of corned beef hash. My son wolfed down his eggs and loved their sausage patties, but was quite dismayed by the pulp in his orange juice. I needed a nap after that meal, but it was only 9:30 am and we had to get to the airport.

All in all, a great trip, but not much in the way of shaving discoveries. Glad we have the internet!

Last edited:
As for the food, Primanti's lunch on Saturday was perfect, as always, and the ice cold Iron City shared with at least a dozen other Pens' fans made it that much better. Luckily, my son loves egg sandwiches (calls them all "crabby patties" for some reason - don't think he realizes that Mr. Squarepants is a burger cook), so I was safe. No chicken nuggets at Primanti's! We tried to have dinner at the Gandy Dancer at Station Square after the game, but the boy was literally snoring on the banquette minutes after we ordered. ("Take it to go, Jack!") I received many exhortations for DeLuca's over JoJo's, so Sunday's breakfast found us there. There's nothing like sitting at a counter ("Hey, Daddy! These chairs are stuck in the floor!"), ordering a huge mushroom, swiss and spinach omelete with a side of corned beef hash. My son wolfed down his eggs and loved their sausage patties, but was quite dismayed by the pulp in his orange juice. I needed a nap after that meal, but it was only 9:30 am and we had to get to the airport.

All in all, a great trip, but not much in the way of shaving discoveries. Glad we have the internet!

I'm moving back to the Pittsburgh area in less than two months, and I can't wait! Summer of '07, I worked in Brooklyn, and had to find out about JoJo's from a coworker there. I still haven't made it there, but I've eyed the pictures online. Primanni's and Arn City are the best. Oh boy, I can't wait. :biggrin:

Maybe I'll stop in and take a gander at Schiller's, too.

Life SAVER!

One of my good friends is turning 30 on Thursday. Yesterday night he commented on how much he liked my Feather Portable and would want to get a safety razor.

Which makes mail order impossible/prohibitively expensive (Order it Tuesday, overnight to get it Wednesday).

I've never been to Schillers and wouldn't have known!!

Thanks a million guys! Like the great military mind Hannibal once said: I love it when a plan comes together.

This thread is proving to be a valuable source of information for anyone traveling to Pittsburgh, or those who live here. Thanks for all the information, gentlemen!

All,
Schiller's Pharmacy is a neat little place. I have visited a few more times since the initial post...I have found that they sell Cella and the Burt Bees toners among other great items. If you need a cologne....they have it!
The prices may be a bit higher on some items but no shipping costs!

There is also a L'Occitane right up the street....

Patrick

Top Bottom