What's new

Colibri Razor ?

Hi, this is my first post here.

Concerning a straight razor ( Colibri No. 70 ) picked up by my grandfather on a flea market.
I haven't got a lot of knowledge concerning straight razors...
The razor itself looks in ok condition, there is no rust on the blade and the handle is made of white plastic.
I was hoping someone could help me, has someone already seen a razor like this ? Are these razors any good ?

Thanks

Desiderius

The words on the razor are in French, and given that you are from Belgium that would make sense. Seems like razor branded in Belgium or France that was made in Germany.
The blades seems to be in very good condition. Good find I say

Solingen blades are second only to Sheffield blades in my experience. Now you have to take that with a grain of salt. I own more Solingen blades than Sheffield, but I've had more luck honing Sheffields and they seem to shave smoother.
Bottom line is I think he did very well.

The inscriptions on the shank say : forged and grounded at Solingen.
The inscriptions on the blade say : 'not competing', 'superior quality', 'registered trademark'.
Does somebody has a clue about the age of the razor ? I'll add a picture of the package that came with it.
I'm new in the world of straights , but I'm considering using the razor after I've gathered the other necessaries.

I also live here in Belgium and had a few "Colibri's" in my collection for a while, although none of them in such fine condition as the one you have.

Judging from the pictures you posted, I would say that your razor is in either "mint" condition or "almost mint" condition. They are good, serviceable razors and the ones that I possessed all had blades of very decent quality.

Of course, I can't feel the edge to test its sharpness, but it 'looks' shave ready... Only you (and your beard) will be able to tell for sure.

Don't forget to thank your grandfather once again.

- ignatz

That's a splendid razor! Give it a few strokes on a fine paste and test the edge, it could well be useable as it is. If that fails, you'll need a hone as well, and of course an unpasted strop is a necessity. Have fun!

Thanks Steerpike,

I believe that the blade needs to be honed. So I'll have to get my all the necessaries before I can try it out. I haven't got a strop or the paste yet.
But I'll keep you guys posted.

Top Bottom