What's new

Gillette President

I have heard a lot about this razor but not much about the shave quality you get from it. I find it being sold for $90 right here in the shaving mall. Is it that good? Can anyone tell me from experience how good or otherwise this razor performs?

A President is nothing more than an Aristocrat that's nickel instead of gold plated (I don't believe it is rhodium plated like the British Aristocrats - correct me if I'm wrong). It will shave as well (or as poorly depending on your perspective ;-) as an Aristocrat. The price is generally higher than an Aristocrat for collectible reasons.

I personally like these razors. YMMV.

A President is nothing more than an Aristocrat that's nickel instead of gold plated (I don't believe it is rhodium plated like the British Aristocrats - correct me if I'm wrong). It will shave as well (or as poorly depending on your perspective ;-) as an Aristocrat. The price is generally higher than an Aristocrat for collectible reasons.

I personally like these razors. YMMV.

Does this mean you will sell me one? :smile:

The Gillette President is not a silver Aristocrat! Look at the pictures:

1) Gillette President 1953 (Y3)
2) Gillette Executive 1953 (Y4)
3) Gillette Arisocrat 40th (no date code)

There is a little different inside and outside of the handle

Best regards Achim

Okay, I stand (or sit) corrected. There is some difference, but you say tomato and I say tomahto. :biggrin:

Now the '40s Aristocrat is different from the '50s - the head design is a little different, but I don't think Gillette marketed a President in the 40s. But what the heck do I know? I just shave with the dag gum things.:biggrin:

Sorry Mark. I can't sell what I don't own.:sad:

3) Gillette Arisocrat 40th (no date code)

Best regards Achim

Number 2 is a 50's style Aristocrat. At least that what mine was labeled with instructions that matched.

Wow...you mean I actually own a vintage Gillette that Leisureguy & Scott don't have? My ego is stroked :biggrin:

I got mine from Antique Hoosier/Mike and really like it. Similar to the HD Rocket - compact but hefty and solid. Got it for a great price too - definitley a keeper.

Anyone know if they were only made in 1953? It seems that everyone I have ever seen or read about has been a Y date code.

Number 2 is a 50's style Aristocrat. At least that what mine was labeled with instructions that matched.

Sorry, no Aristocrates in the 50th; in the 50th he was named "Executive". It give him with featured standup mirror and simulated ostrich leather case and that one I posted. You can see booth in P.Krumholz "The Complete Gillette Collector´s Handbook" on page 249 and 251. :wink2:

Anyone know if they were only made in 1953? It seems that everyone I have ever seen or read about has been a Y date code.

Mine is an A1 :biggrin:

And whatever the plating on it, it sure doesn't look like any of the nickel razors I've seen. It doesn't seem like it's lacquered, is pretty corrosion resistant, and shines like the sun itself. Take a look at it next to a Slim, Krona, and '49 SuperSpeed... in some pretty bright winter sun :D

proxy.php

proxy.php

The shave's pretty nice, too. Not as foolproof of a shave as the SS or FatBoy on low, but very close and comfortable if the stars are in alignment. And I like my fatty dialed to 9, though I'd prefer it go up to 11 :biggrin:

nice score, I bet it cleans up fine - the razor looks to have weathered the years much better than the case
If I remember this correctly, I think the President was rhodium plated. An extremely hard and wear-resistant plating, can hold a mirror finish without scratches, and has a slightly blue-white gleam in bright light. Or am I thinking of some other that just looks a lot like it?

If I remember this correctly, I think the President was rhodium plated. An extremely hard and wear-resistant plating, can hold a mirror finish without scratches, and has a slightly blue-white gleam in bright light. Or am I thinking of some other that just looks a lot like it?

The head has a slightly deeper, richer polish than the handle. The handle really sparkles in the light, albeit in a different way.

I know some of the nicer Brits used rhodium but not sure if any of the US models got it or not.
Some of us suspect it was used on the President though - it definitely has a different (& better) look/shine than any other silver Gillette I own,

3) Gillette Aristocrat 40th (no date code)

Best regards Achim
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

progress.gif
I knew there was a forth when I was responding to this thread but never looked at the collection I was cleaning the den a little and saw them and thought of this thread. Here is number 4 a 40's Aristocrat. Here it is

View attachment 9127

Top Bottom