What's new

Scored my first straights!

Well I won an ebay auction and didn't expect much but the seller had a good return policy so why not take a look right? Wow talk about lucky! These are fully functioning beauties! Someone (decades ago I'm sure) packed them away with care and they've been waiting for me ever since.

Razor 1:
5/8 Spike Point, Full Hollow
Front Marking:pEP 106
Rear Marking: Halma Shear and Razor Works, Solingen Germany
Handles are Celluloid with ivory wedge no cracks or marks.

The blade has a patina on it from what appears to be oil, but underneath it looks like a mirror finish. Probably just a bit of polish and it will shine right up. The blades does need to be honed though, it's quite dull.

Razor 2:
6/8 Muted Square Point, 3/4 Hollow? w/ Barber's Notch
Front Marking: W.H. Morley & Sons; Clover Brand; Germany
Rear Marking: None

Handles are black celluloid with ivory wedge and no cracks. The back of the handle near the wedge does have an "A" scratched into it. Someone didn't want to lose this razor.

The blade has a barber's notch, bottom jimps and a mirror finish with light scratching. There's a little corrosion near the pivot pin but on the whole it appears very minor! This one's still sharp enough to shave my wrist with, but should probably be touched up by someone who knows what they're doing.

It's not all good though. There's a slight warping of one of the scales from how it was stored and if you're not careful you can hear the "snick" as you open or close it as the razor just barely brushes it. Probably still ruins the blade in that part of the razor.

Photographing the second razor with it's mirror finish gives me healthy respect for all you other photographers out there!

Top Bottom