What's new

Corking blades

All,
I was reading the "other forum" and picked up on this. I can't remember it being talked about here, though. Essentially, I run my Feather blade through a cork 5 times lengthwise on each side. The resulting shaves are so smooth, you get a "day 3" smooth and comfortable shave on the first day of a Feather. The roughness is honed out. And I may add I really don't see any longevity decrease, either. It has saved my face, because the first day of a Feather would sometimes set the rest of the week off on a bad note. Give it a try, it may work for you.
John

When you 'cork' length wise- on each side- can you elaborate please- I thought that you could 'cork' just by "cutting' the cork- thus attacking the cutting edge of the blade.

Wil,
I run the entire edge of the blade through the cork smoothly and gently in a slicing manner, almost like if I took breadknife and sliced though a loaf of bread. Pull towards you, don't push away from you. I don't go in too deep though, just deep enough to encompass the razor edge.

Thank you John- another bit of information for me - when I finally get up enough dosh to purchase one.:thumbup1:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I've heard of corking bats..............

Knew those thousands of corks from wine bottles would pay off someday. :lol:

Btw, I've heard suggested both pulling the blade across a stationary cork, in a light slicing motion (very little pressure), and pulling it across while allowing the cork to roll underneath, so that the blade does not drag across the cork at all. Not sure which works better. Obviously the slicing would have a slightly great effect.

-Mo

I've heard about this and was wondering if it really worked. For me, the first two days with a fresh Feather are a little too harsh but on day 3 I'm in shaving Nirvana. I then replace the blade after day 4r (afraid to push my luck) and then I'm back to a harsh blade. So, half my Feather shaves are Nirvana and half are kind of harsh. I'm going to have to give this a try. Thanks for the tip.

My wife is already puzzled and confused by all the shaving equipment. Wait 'till I come home with a bottle of wine and tell her it's to help me shave!

I would love to know if others are having the same luck with corking blades, I've never come across this idea.

If I'm not wrong, there are two types of corks on the market these days, the old fashioned ones that are actually cork and the newer ones that are cork bits mixed with various glues. The former are very soft whereas the later are very hard. I have even seen some that are combination corks, you can easily see the difference, one half of the cork has an open grain, holes and so on, the other half looks machined.

I assume it's the real cork, ie. the old style corks that are useful here.

Most hardware stores have a selection of corks in various sizes, one isn't limited limited to wine bottles.

I have had success using the newer type cork, not the old "real cork" that can flake and be broken apart with the fingers. I have only have used one. Haven't replaced it yet. Should last a long, long time. I'm telling you, it works. The honing creates a smooth opening shave, and thereafter.

I have had success using the newer type cork, not the old "real cork" that can flake and be broken apart with the fingers. I have only have used one. Haven't replaced it yet. Should last a long, long time. I'm telling you, it works. The honing creates a smooth opening shave, and thereafter.

Thanks for the clarifications, and thanks for the post, I'm very interested in trying it.

You have beaten me to it John D. I just discovered this trick for myself. I use a piece of expanded polystyrene and stroke the blade through it to clean off any burrs. It works perfectly. Here is an example: New Gillette blade, no polystyrene hone; first shave slightly rough, some burn and weepers, in other words a typical first shave with a new blade for me. The next four shaves are fine no complaints, the sixth shave and I judge the blade is done, I ditch it. Next blade: again, a new Gillette, this time I hone it with the polystyrene, first shave, perfect. No burn or weepers just an excellent shave. Same for the next...wait for it...eight shaves. believe it or not I have had nine perfect shaves and expect to get at least one more before I discard the blade. In future I shall always hone my new blades with polystyrene. Give it a try.
John.

You have beaten me to it John D. I just discovered this trick for myself. I use a piece of expanded polystyrene and stroke the blade through it to clean off any burrs. It works perfectly. Here is an example: New Gillette blade, no polystyrene hone; first shave slightly rough, some burn and weepers, in other words a typical first shave with a new blade for me. The next four shaves are fine no complaints, the sixth shave and I judge the blade is done, I ditch it. Next blade: again, a new Gillette, this time I hone it with the polystyrene, first shave, perfect. No burn or weepers just an excellent shave. Same for the next...wait for it...eight shaves. believe it or not I have had nine perfect shaves and expect to get at least one more before I discard the blade. In future I shall always hone my new blades with polystyrene. Give it a try.
John.

Forgive me for being dense, what do you mean "stroke the blade through it"? Are you cutting into the polystyrene? If so, by how much?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I've heard about this and was wondering if it really worked. For me, the first two days with a fresh Feather are a little too harsh but on day 3 I'm in shaving Nirvana. I then replace the blade after day 4r (afraid to push my luck) and then I'm back to a harsh blade. So, half my Feather shaves are Nirvana and half are kind of harsh. I'm going to have to give this a try. Thanks for the tip.
You should be able to get a few more shaves at least out of a feather blade. In the Classicshaving website they quote Feather as saying about 10 shaves per blade; I'd suggest trying more shaves and seeing how much YMMV!
My wife is already puzzled and confused by all the shaving equipment. Wait 'till I come home with a bottle of wine and tell her it's to help me shave!

The wine is for after you shave, not before!! :blink:

Forgive me for being dense, what do you mean "stroke the blade through it"? Are you cutting into the polystyrene? If so, by how much?

I hold the blade between fore finger and thumb and pull it through the polystyrene, just cutting deep enough to cover the bevelled edge of the blade. I do this in both directions on each edge, just once each way. The idea is to gently wipe away any burrs which may be present but not to blunt the edge. It really does work and seems to actually extend the life of the blade.
John.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
You should be able to get a few more shaves at least out of a feather blade. In the Classicshaving website they quote Feather as saying about 10 shaves per blade; I'd suggest trying more shaves and seeing how much YMMV!

My mistake; I was using the 'new posts' feature, so didn't realise we were talking DE and not straights ... so maybe you don't get that many shaves with a feather DE blade ... I dunno. :confused1

Missinformation corrected.

Top Bottom