What's new

*New *Forest The Brand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this brand that is rumored to be a great brush company fulfilling that promise?
I dont know hence the Q

No, it's just some cheap Chinese brush that a blogger is pushing.

Have you tried one?

From what I gather the newer models are being made in New Forest, England. The knots are imported Chinese badger, the handles are lathe turned in New Forest and they are assembled there too. If that constitutes a cheap Chinese brush then many of our craftsmen getting praised here at B&B are simply pushing cheap Chinese brushes.

No, it's just some cheap Chinese brush that a blogger is pushing.

I have one from the first series, 2201, and it is a very nice brush. I do not think this is really a fair comment. My knot is as nice as many others I have tried, and has held up to 6+ months of use very well. For the price I paid, I believe these are a bargain. It is not an Eagle G3, but then again it was less than half the price.

Last edited:
Have you tried one?

From what I gather the newer models are being made in New Forest, England. The knots are imported Chinese badger, the handles are lathe turned in New Forest and they are assembled there too. If that constitutes a cheap Chinese brush then many of our craftsmen getting praised here at B&B are simply pushing cheap Chinese brushes.

No, I haven't tried one. Nor would I wish to squander my hard-earned shekels on a cheap Chinese brush when I can go high-end (Simpsons, Rooney), quality boar (Semogue), or just get a truly cheap Chinese brush like a Tweezerman that has no pretension about it.

I haven't heard anything about the newer models being turned in New Forest which apparently is a region of England, not a city. Perhaps the aforementioned blogger has commandeered all 141K acres for Queen and Badger, I'm guessing not.

The blogger in question has claimed that his cheap brushes use the same hair as Plisson which speaks volumes about how much you can trust him.

I hadn't heard that one:lol: What I have heard is they are very soft with some to little backbone. If that's your thing, they are a good deal, IMO. They aren't mine, based only on the description.

Ken

I Have the Super badger 2205 and it is a fantastic brush.
Face or bowl lathering it's great.
I have a High Mountain badger from NF on the way.

Why so much hate for new Forest?

Just curious, what other brushes have you tried? Simpsons, Rooney, Savile Row, Shavemac...?

Unfortunately I have not tried any of those quality brands except Simpson.
I came from the VDH brush, bought my NF from a member at SRP (wee scot addict and this was too big) for a great price. Then I tried a Vulfix pure badger and The Simpson B3 Pure Badger. VDH is really stiff and not well made not much bloom to it constantly shedding. The vulfix was really prickly on my face and the Simpson was pretty decent with a small handle(borrowed a friends).
To qualify my comments, the most enjoyable brush I have used in my limited shaving time, is the New Forest Super Badger.
I am serious newbie and don't have a ton of experience with brushes and do not claim to be an expert in any form.

Insomniac, when my High Mountain brush arrives, ill gladly send you the Super Badger to try out(and return) and give your honest review. I'd be interested what an experienced brush guy, such as yourself, has to say about the actual quality of the brush.

Last edited:
The original ones (2201 I think?) were good brushes. £27 isn't much more than some boar brushes now. The handles were a bit lightweight, but the quality of the knot was very good and def. a bargain - comparable to TGN Finest perhaps? It didn't replace my Simpson brushes, but I'd rather have it than my Shavemac Silvertip (serious), or any boar brush. Now, the new ones are about £50, which is a bit high for a budget brush to me.

I owned one of the first 2 band ones. It was a decent brush, lacking on density with a cheap handle that the logo washed off after a couple uses. The price was around $50 if I recall.

For that money I would rather get a TGN 24mm Finest fan knot and set it in a vintage handle of your choice at a loft of your choice. The TGN is a better knot IMO.

The fact that he is pushing his new "high mountain white" as the same source of badger hair that Plisson uses in their $350+ brushes would make me highly suspicious.

I also had one of the first 2 bands.... not a bad brush...handle was light and I got one that was a bad shedder.

My personal opinion ....for the money, there are alot better brushes out there....but... as always YMMV

The original ones (2201 I think?) were good brushes. £27 isn't much more than some boar brushes now. The handles were a bit lightweight, but the quality of the knot was very good and def. a bargain - comparable to TGN Finest perhaps? It didn't replace my Simpson brushes, but I'd rather have it than my Shavemac Silvertip (serious), or any boar brush. Now, the new ones are about £50, which is a bit high for a budget brush to me.

This is the model I have and use pretty regularly. It was very reasonably priced at the time and has given simply excellent service. I have not tried any of Fido's new ones, but have tried a number of higher end brushes and still believe, at least with respect to the one I have, that it was definitely a good buy at the price. But, I am not a brush guy, thank heaven, for I have most of the other ADs :blush:

what did you think of the new forest brush when you tried it?

As I said, I haven't tried this particular cheap Chinese brush. I have other Chinese brushes that I've tried, they're certainly OK for the money, but are not nearly as good as premium brands. If you want to save cash and stick with badger, go with a Tweezerman or perhaps the new Van der Hagen.

I've no desire to give some Brit blogger some money just to say "meh, another cheap brush."

Peter who runs New Forest Brushes does not run a forum. He is active on a UK based one - no ban for me there! (well not that I am aware of!)
Personally I haven't used the brushes but I believe he is getting the handles turned locally near where he lives in the New Forest (south coast UK). If he has found a niche market for his brushes - good luck to him. He has a lot of happy users in the UK and he has invested a lot of time in researching brushes over the last few years.
My only gripe would be the 'Tubby' brushes produced. From a family point of view I just wish people making brushes could think up a name for one of their brush designs that doesn't imitate 'Chubby' - a lot of my family's history and hard work is in that name and it is annoying....from a personal point of view.

Gary

Imitation is known as the greatest form of flattery, but I agree, you should be annoyed at others trying to glam on to your reputation, even if indirectly.

Probably, a better marketing idea would be to have gone another direction entirely, be more creative, and call the brush the Hobbit, or something else more amusing, and less of a copy-cat approach.:001_smile

Why so much hate for new Forest?

Peter (aka Fido) the owner of NF Brushes is sort of personna non grata aorund here. He (and others maybe) was accused of shilling his product here and one of his dry witty british jokes were taken as an insult of I understand it correctly. As such, his account was banned.

That being said, some people feel the need to trash him because the its the "B&B" thing to do. Sort of like the ongoing battle with the Crips and Bloods. Some people really get worked up about things like this.

As far as the brushes... some of the knots IMO are no different quality than a Rooney/Simpson/Kent. The handles and logos aren't as nice, but thats not what NF is trying to be.

Sure they are not handmade on the Isle of Man, but having pretension is one thing NF brushes are certainly not. In fact, they are touted as exactly what they are. The lowest cost, no middle man, Chinese sourced badger knot brushes with varying handle styles and somewhat generic brand... all at 30-40% of the cost than some of the high flying brands.

YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom