What's new

shaving brush ferrules

I'm trying to find a supplier of what I think are called ferrules or mounting cups. I know Penn State Ind. has just one and it's the wrong size.It's the metal piece you see between the hair and the body of the brush. ANY IDEAS Gents?

I just make my own out of copper or brass thinwall tubing,easy to do.
proxy.php

Not exactly what you are looking for (but could give a creative mind other options :wink: ), Lee Valley tools has these:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=30021&cat=1,41504

They come unpolished and a bit scuffed, but they polish up to a mirror shine on a buffing wheel in two seconds flat.

BTW, phone them up and they will send you a 275 page woodworking tool catalog free of charge, they also have a hardware fixtures and gardening tools catalog free for the asking. Truly a great company to deal with:thumbup1:

Last edited:
was asked to explaine in this thread how i fit the copper ferrules.
I cut and sqaure up the thinwall tubing,brass or copper.
Than on the lathe,undercut (carefully) where I want to fit the ferrule,get it to almost a press fit using a fine file or 100 grit paper,apply epoxy than tap it in place,is actually better to press it in with block of wood using the tailstock as the press.
Later I file it to size while spinning on the lathe.
to get the Rounded finished edge,I take a hard piece of steel with the lathe running and sort of roll the edge by resting it on the toolpost and slowly applying pressure.
Thats the way I do it.

So, if I understand you correctly, you fit it as a ring at the end of the work, then slowly bend the outer edge of the ring to be the inner edge of the ferrule?

In a sense,yes,actually it is called forming,with a polished piece of steel and some pressure against the thinwall.it will conform to shape.

Top Bottom