What's new

Newbie Stropping 101 Video

Gentlemen, here is another video that will hopefully help our questions that have been coming regarding stropping.

Hopefully it helps and gets some questions answered!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_EGVvbUVIA[/YOUTUBE]

Legion

Staff member
Nice video Mark, I'm sure a lot of people will find that helpful.

I think the new guys should note, you see how fast he was stropping at the end of that video? That is how fast you should aim to get with practice. No faster. What you really want is that smooth, even stroke, which you can't get if you are flinging the razor around like a barber in a western movie. Practice precision, not speed.

Thanks guys!

Nice video Mark, I'm sure a lot of people will find that helpful.

I think the new guys should note, you see how fast he was stropping at the end of that video? That is how fast you should aim to get with practice. No faster. What you really want is that smooth, even stroke, which you can't get if you are flinging the razor around like a barber in a western movie. Practice precision, not speed.

The most important thing is (besides not slicing your strop up) to keep the blade flat so it can make contact the whole time.

Thanks for another great video Mark. The results from my stropping have improved a lot in the past couple weeks, but I still nick the strop sometimes :blushing: I'll be giving this a try.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Nice video! Its also nice to put a voice to your posts! You need to do a shaving video so I can put a face to the voice now!!

Thanks Mark. Setting the strop on counter's edge is a great idea. I have been having a devil of a time getting my stropping technique down. The chap who honed my razors just inspected one of mine and sure enough, I had rolled part of the edge. As much as I thought shaving technique was the big hurdle, stropping is proving to be one big thorn in the side.

Regards, Todd

Thanks for the upload. Learning to shave with a straight has been difficult but keeping my blade in good condition is scary... I live a good distance from a decent blade man so I am worried one day I will mess up my edge and have to make the journey in a rush.

Top Bottom