What's new

Montpelier, VT

For those who don't know Montpelier, VT is the smallest state capitol in the nation, and the only one that does not have a McDonalds in it. With an area of just over 10 square miles, and a populatoin under 8000, you wouldn't expect us to have much in the way of wet shaving resources, and I suppose you wouldn't be far wrong, but compared to the surrounding towns, Montpelier is actually rather large, and so we have a rather vibrant downtown shopping area comprised of 2 streets which serves residents of Montpelier and the surrounding towns with restaurants and retail. 45 minutes away is Burlington VT which is the "big city" by VT standards, and there you will find Church St. Marketplace, a pedestrian only shopping street, and 2 whole shopping malls.

I you find yourself in Montpelier, and in need of wet shaving supplies, I'm here to tell you what there is and where you can find it.

Montpelier Pharmacy on Main St. is an independantly owned local pharmacy, and they are just what you would expect from a small pharmacy, if you remember what a small pharmacy is like. They have a relatively small stock of the basics, including a small shaving section of about 6 square feet which includes the basics: Williams shave soap, those inexpensive boar bristle brushes with the green plastic handle, a couple of common aftershaves, stiptic pencils, Wilkinson Swords DE blades($1.33 a 5 pack!), Treet single edge blades, and injector blades.

We've also got a Rite Aid just a few doors down past the fire station, and they have basically what you would expect to find at a rite aid. Store brand DE blades for $6.99 for a pack of 15, and your basic assortment of creams and aftershaves. Sadly they (nor anyone else in town) don't have the cheap Bay Rum that apparently some Rite-Aids carry.

Across the street from those two Pharmacies is Splash. They carry a wide assortment of shishi bath and body supplies, including a decent selection of Men's shaving supplies. Here you can choose from 3 different brushes, Omega boar or Natural, or a German Badger. They have a good selection of higher end soaps and creams and aftershaves and a selection of bowls. They don't sell any Razors.

Around the corner on State Street is The Men's Store. Ostensibly a men's clothing store, but that's a rarity in itself. They strive to carry a good range of the things men want, including sometimes shaving supplies. I bought the last Omega boar brush they had in stock. Currently all they've got left is 1 cartridge razor and 2 containers of fancy french moisturizer, but I've talked to them about carrying more shaving stuff, and they are looking at bringing in Edwin Jagger products, which if it happens will make them the only place in town to actually buy a double edge razor. they're also considfering bringing in some straights. I'll update this post if and when any of that happens, but regardless of shaving stuff, you should check them out if you're in town, they always have a nice selection of clothes and sometimes hats. They are bound to have something of interest to the members of this board.

Finally, down Stonecutters Way, we have Hunger Mountain Coop. Though they call themselves a Coop, essentially they are a big natural foods super market. They have a large Health and Beauty section. That's where in the past I got my Burts Bees soap and aftershave, they also carry the full Weleda line, as well as some other nice creams and aftershaves. They currently have 2 brands of shave soap and brushes. FIrst Herban cowboy. I can't speak to the soap, I don't care for the smell, so I won't buy it, but I bought the brush, and it was by far the worst shaving brush I've ever owned, and most of mine have come from drug stores and cost less than $5. They also have a very fancy looking red clay handled brush and bowl with soap that can be purchased either separately or as a set. I think they look very nice, but they are expensive, and more than I personally want to spend on a brush and bowl. For razors, the only carry the Preserve brand Razors and blades, which are actually pretty decent from a price/performance standpoint. They are what I have been using for the last few years. Then handles are made from recycled plastic, and the cartridges are not as expensive as most, and work fairly well.

I haven't really explored the shaving options available in Barre, or Burlington, but I'll update this thread as I find more of interest, and if anyone else happens to know of anything in the area I'd love to hear about it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom