What's new

Soap Price comparison

I had been looking at the prices of soaps recently and began to wonder which ones were really the most economical. Soap prices are all over the place, but the puck sizes are all different so it is hard to compare one to another. I decided to break down the most common/popular soaps into price per gram to see how they stack up. I tried to search for the best price on a refill only and I did not include shipping charges.

Two things struck me as I looked at the results. One is how cheap P.160 and Cella are. They are about the same price as Williams and VDH. The second was how expensive AOS soap is. I always knew it was expensive, but I always thought there were many more soaps that were more expensive. Just a few I guess.

Note- YMMV for price, I did quick searches, you may find a better price. Also MdC is not available in the states. If you include the exorbitant shipping prices from France, that soap skyrockets in price and works out to $0.37/g. Yikes! Good stuff though. Also this does not take into account that some soaps just last longer than others, changing thier value.

Last edited:
Interesting and worthy comparison but the kilo prices are not really fair to compare....Of all people that have and use Cella how many actually bought the Kilo version? I would bet 90%(and being generous....) uses the red container which should be the standard for comparison or at least be present in that list(same goes to P160).

It's quite an eye opener, isn't it! I love my AoS Sandalwood soap but when you consider it is made by Valobra, and the price and performance of their own soaps, it does make you question the logic of such a purchase. IMO Cella and the now discontinued P.160 are/were a steal.

David:thumbup1:

I added Cella (red) to the chart. P.160 doesn't come in a smaller container that I'm aware. Why wouldn't you buy the larger container? It is over twice as expensive in the smaller container. Many people stock up on soaps and have cupboards full of pucks. What is the difference?

I love my AoS Sandalwood soap but when you consider it is made by Valobra, and the price and performance of their own soaps, it does make you question the logic of such a purchase.

AoS isn't made by Valobra, it is made by AoS. But they do get some of their ingredients from Valobra.

Allow me to add the following:

Czech and Speake shaving soap

Size: 90 grams

Price: $36

Price per gram: $0.40

This soap makes the Art of Shaving look almost economical.

With MdC, keep in mind that you are also getting a nice glass bowl. If you start including the price of the wooden bowl for things like AOS, you'll find that they are actually more expensive than MdC.

Where is Arko by the way? I think it really affects the odds. (in Turkey top price of one stick is 89 cents) IMHO top range starts from Trumpers what is I see.

Last edited:
There certainly is a point of lessening returns. I think at some point, you really are paying mostly for the name that is on the soap. Czech & Speake and that crazy bowl of their's is a perfect example.

soaps last so long unless I'm up there around the top 3 it isn't a concern. my current rotation is Cade and MWF.. Ogallala Sage and Cedarwood on weekends fall and winter and MB Lime Ice on summer weekends.

AOS Sandlewood is on my Christmas list.

Oops, I kept meaning to look that up. Will add it. Thanks.

No problem. I remind to you there are Edwin Jagger/Mühle soap, Arran Aromatics soap, Floris soap, Plisson soap besides there are so many discontinued soaps either. IMO discontinued soaps do not count in this table.

Now you have to find some way to cross-index your chart to the number of shaves obtained from each puck. AoS and GFT looks expensive, but each puck lasts probably 4 times as long as the equivalent sized VdH, so on a per-shave comparison they come in about equal.

thanks good job, interesting to see it all in black and white. and i do think its fair to count the kilo, if other mfg's want to start offering better values in bulk then i am all credit card.

Ian

Now you have to find some way to cross-index your chart to the number of shaves obtained from each puck. AoS and GFT looks expensive, but each puck lasts probably 4 times as long as the equivalent sized VdH, so on a per-shave comparison they come in about equal.

Chris, usage of each soap has some differs one shaver to another. IMHO everyone does their maths on the usage of soaps which they want to use.

Am I correct that the practicality of someone in the US using Martin de Candre at that price is non-existent? I've read where shipping is outrageous.

I realize your comparison chart isn't put together to reflect that, but I think it is worthy of an asterisk notation for those that are unaware.

While in logic, the post about actual shaves per gram is worthy, since everyone loads up differently and makes varying passes, not to mention having to feed larger brushes extra rations, it is very hard to arrive at a cost per shave. A cubic inches of lather per gram method would need to be established.

Where is Arko by the way? I think it really affects the odds. (in Turkey top price of one stick is 89 cents) IMHO top range starts from Trumpers what is I see.

He needs the uber cheap Godrej Shaving Round on there as well. :thumbup1:

Godrej Shaving Round. 50g. $3 per puck (from West Coast Shaving). .06 per gram.

+1

This is a major point, as the comparison of price alone doesn't tell the entire story; fact is, triple milled tallow based soaps last far far longer than melt, and pour glycerin soaps.

Last edited:
Nice list. I've done this in my head before but it is very useful to see them all in one place.

2 additions: Speick and Palmolive shave sticks.

Good job and interesting.

Amazing that Valobra and Cella both cost less than Tabac, and IMHO are light years superior.

This is a major point, as the comparison of price alone doesn't tell the entire story; fact is, triple milled tallow based soaps last far far longer than melt, and pour glycerin soaps.[/QUOTE]

I find this to be the case as well. The triple milled soap lasts much longer making the price per shave much more competitive.

Top Bottom