What's new

Brush Chronicles #3: Rooney 3/1 Super Silvertip

It's my turn for the 3rd installment of "The Brush Chronicles".

Over the next two weeks I will be using my Rooney 3/1 on various soaps and creams. I usually shave every other day, but I'll bump it up a little for the cause. I will share as much info as I possibly can, including pictures.

A review for this brush can be found here.

You can pick up a Rooney 3/1 here.

I urge those who have this brush to join in.

This brush is considered to be a good all around brush and I agree completely. There isn't a cream or soap this brush can't conquer. Personally, I feel this brush excels with face lathering, but it is definitely effective bowl lathering as well. This is a pretty dense brush as far as I'm concerned. There are more dense brushes I'm sure, but this one fits the bill if you want density. The Rooney 3/1 also has plenty of backbone and the tips are soft as well. The tips are not luxurious like other silvertip brushes, but they are far from scritchy, imo. My brush is built very well, I might add. It has shed the occasional hair, but that's because I don't baby my brushes.

During the next two weeks I will put this brush through it's paces with the likes of Bigelow SC, Harris Lavender SC, Musgo Real SC, Speick Shave Stick, VDH Soap, and Cade Soap. You may see Cade a lot in the second week due to the "November Cade" thread in the soap forum. I face lather 99% of the time, but I will bowl lather a few times to give a proper review.

First up is Bigelow cream via bowl lathering.

I used about an almond sized dollop of cream and I would recommend at least that much every time. Because of the density of the brush it takes a little more product. This was easily enough for 3 passes.

When I figure out how to tag photos I will do so.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
For the money, this is one of the very best brushes you can buy. Indeed, it is very dense with soft tips. The Rooney 3/1 Super is a legend in the world of shaving brushes. Well-built and fairly priced you would be hard-pressed to get a better brush at this mid-level price range. A great brush for the beginner but enjoyed by the collector as well.

Looking forward to reading about your experiences with this wonderful brush and thanks for volunteering to do this 3rd installment of the Brush Chronicles. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
Excellent kick off for a great brush. We love our Simpsons and Shavemacs and Savile Rows, but Rooneys don't get as much play as the others. They are outstanding brushes, and an entirely different animal. First of all, they're one of the last brushes that has a fan shape. They're densely packed with soft tips, and at the $75 price point for the size 1's, are a fantastic value. They are truly legitimate steps up from the inexpensive Shea Moistures and Tweezermans. They are also a fine gateway into SBAD.....:whistling:

I look forward to following the thread. If you have a 3/1, break it out!

Here, here! I've always agree with - well, pretty much all of the above. Glad to see this number (my first top-shelf brush) end up in the running.

A couple of years ago the Rooney 1/1 and Rooney 3/1 were the de facto recommendations for new wet shavers. Rooneys were all the rage.

Great thread for a great brush.

Last edited:
Nice thread trendkill. Looking to more of your posts. I decided to use my Rooney 3/1 super (coral) today with TOBS Mr Taylor. Actually I use my Rooney every shave since I got rid of my other brushes. Most of the time I think the Rooney is the only brush I'll ever need or want. Now if johnniegold would only stop posting those Simpson photo threads I could stop secretly lusting in my heart.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
How about some Rooney 3/1 Super shots?

full

full

full

full

full

full

Now if johnniegold would only stop posting those Simpson photo threads I could stop secretly lusting in my heart.

full

:tongue_sm

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice brushes, Bob! :thumbup:

On to today's shave.

I used C.O. Bigelow again, but I face lathered this time. Unlike Luc's tutorial, I place a small dollop on the top of the brush, wet my face and work the cream in my beard for a good 90 seconds. Not only does this provide adequate mixing time, it feels very good. I easily had enough lather for 3 passes.

Now I've heard this brush called a "lather hog" and I can understand this thinking when you first use it. You have to be patient with this brush and give it a little time to break in. You must also use a little more product than what you are used to. Now if you really want this thing to give up the lather - use paint brush strokes. It works wonders for me.

I think tomorrow will be a nice day for Lavender...Stay Tuned!

I think I am ready for my next brush. I have the CE BBB and the CE super BB. And I am looking for something in between these 2. I think the super is a little too big for me and the BBB perhaps not as dense. I have had my eye on this Rooney for a long while. Is this next step or is not much of step up from these brushes?

Great pics btw. thanks for featuring this brush.

I think I am ready for my next brush. I have the CE BBB and the CE super BB. And I am looking for something in between these 2. I think the super is a little too big for me and the BBB perhaps not as dense. I have had my eye on this Rooney for a long while. Is this next step or is not much of step up from these brushes?

Great pics btw. thanks for featuring this brush.

Rooney brushes are very different from the CE or Simpsons for that matter. The Supers have nice backbone and soft tips, and each handle style tends to have a nice dense knot. I think it is a step up from the CE's.

Rooney brushes are very different from the CE or Simpsons for that matter. The Supers have nice backbone and soft tips, and each handle style tends to have a nice dense knot. I think it is a step up from the CE's.

I have never tried a CE BB, but from what I've read the Rooney would probably be a step up. It's a serious brush at a great price.

Today's shave:

Rooney 3/1 Super Silvertip
Musgo Real SC
Trac II
Musgo Real AS Splash

I let my brush soak for 3-5 minutes, give it a few good shakes and then it's time to begin.

My approach to this cream is the same as the Bigelow, and pretty much all creams. A small dollop on the brush and work it into my beard for about 90 seconds. This method always provides me with an abundance of thick, slick lather with enough left over for 2-3 additional passes.

I highly recommend this brush if you like to face lather. The massage you get is very nice and you know the lather has been worked into your beard very well.

One more thing - Musgo Real is awesome!

The third pic below is how much lather was in my brush after the first pass.

I love my Rooney 3/1 in super silvertip. I disagree about it having a dense knot. Not that it's a loose floppy knot at all. But compared to the Rooney Heritage range or the Simpson Chubby range, the 3/1 is not dense.

For my preferences, the 3/1 has a near perfect knot / loft and the handle is very ergonomic and comfortable. It produces a nice lather easily with both creams and soaps - face lathering or bowl lathering.

I find the handle, while aesthetically pleasing, to feel a little light in the hands. I prefer the extra heft that Simpson handles have. But this certainly isn't a deal breaker. The 3/1 is a great brush, and I think ideal for newbies because of the price point and ease of use.

Last night's shave:

Speick Shaving Stick
Atra
Thayers WH AS
Proraso Liquid Cream AS

I lightly rubbed the stick on my beard until i had a light coating of soap on my face. I Soaked my brush for a few minutes, squeezed the brush once and whipped up gobs of lather within 60-90 seconds. I easily had enough lather for 3 passes, and probably a 4th. This brush can lather anything provided you get the product/water ratio right. 1 week down and the brush has handled bowl and face lathering well. Next week we'll see how it does loading from a puck of soap.

Happy Halloween!

I'm going to lum my last two shaves together since they were both with Cade.

L'Occitane Cade SS
Atra
Thayers AS
Cade ASB

3-5 minute soak for my brush, then I gave it a good squeeze and a couple flicks. I proceeded to load the brush on the puck for about ten seconds and started making lather on my face. Withing a minute or two I had a nice coat of lather on my face as well as enough for two more passes in my brush. You probably don't even need ten seconds on the puck because it picks up so much with little effort, but it's better to be safe than sorry. Now I love Cade, and it's actually my favorite soap, but I noticed a burning sensation while using this the last couple shaves. For that reason I will not use it again for a while, including the November Cade Challenge. :mad3:

I love my 3/1. Granted, it's the only brush I own (for now), but after seeing silvertip for this price I had to get it.

After using it for a year, and since AD is for SC/SS, I am certain that the only other brushes I want are a Chubby 1 and a Wee Scot. And maybe a milkchurn, and a butterscotch, and.... oh crap! I've got SBAD!:lol::lol:

Great write ups!:thumbup1:

When I had the Rooney 2/1, the brush felt very dense at first, and I sold it before I really gave it a chance. What is the break in like for the 3/1? The size 1's are small, but not THAT small, so how is the face feel in full splay when face lathering?

Great write ups!:thumbup1:

When I had the Rooney 2/1, the brush felt very dense at first, and I sold it before I really gave it a chance. What is the break in like for the 3/1? The size 1's are small, but not THAT small, so how is the face feel in full splay when face lathering?

In my opinion, the Rooney is pretty dense and the break in for mine was not even a month before it started to really give up the lather. My face is a little sensitive and the splay feels comfortable while lathering. Not as soft as my Shavemac, but still nice.

Because of a recent bad reaction to Cade, I haven't shaved in a few days. My final entry for the Rooney 3/1 is the review I wrote for it. This brush is highly recommended. Having said that, I have become enamored with the Tulip 2 in 3 band and may sell this brush to fund that purchase. There are a lot of brushes I still have to try!

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=2544534&postcount=9

Late to the Party as well. Only Rooney I have is a 1/1 in pure, I was bitten with the Simpson bug....but after this review I believe I need to start looking at the Rooney's again. How id the handle on that 3/1 compared to a T2 ?

Unfortunately, I have not acquired a T2 yet. Instead, I was convinced that I needed a custom Shavemac :thumbup1:

The handle on the 3/1 is great, imo. I have fairly big hands and it fit just right.

Late to the Party as well. Only Rooney I have is a 1/1 in pure, I was bitten with the Simpson bug....but after this review I believe I need to start looking at the Rooney's again. How id the handle on that 3/1 compared to a T2 ?

Top Bottom