What's new

Wade & Butcher discovery

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I picked up a very sad looking Wade and Butcher, and began the clean up on it today.
The scales were badly cracked and will have to be replaced, and the blade in general was very blackened and tarnished.

I noted that there was etching on the blade, though through the tarnish it was impossible to read.

After the general cleanup I was able to read the etching and it says

"Manufactured Expressly for H.W. Carter" in ribbons on each side of a picture of a goods wagon with four horses.

A check on H.W. Carter reveals some interesting information.

From the H.W. Carter & Sons website;

Carter differentiated himself from his competition by using spectacular wagons pulled by a team of four perfectly matched spirited black horses with harness trimmings of pure silver, to carry his Carter’s “wares”.

The wagon was beautifully painted with the Carter homestead, store and factory likenesses and people stopped in their tracks to watch it whenever it came to town. In fact, teachers allowed their pupils to watch from school windows when the wagon drove past.

In 1859, Carter saved a few hundred dollars and started his own wholesale store, H.W. Carter Company. He become very successful because of his energetic and sound merchandising policies and was referred to as “The Merchant Prince of Northern New England”. The Carter name quickly gained rapid recognition.

Between 1870 and 1890, with the expansion of industrial America, the H.W. Carter Company established itself as the premier manufacturer of men’s and boy’s denim overalls and work wear. Carter’s overalls were famous throughout New England and the Northeast. During this time, Carter increased his business by marketing and manufacturing sportswear and work wear.

In 1889 Carter’s two sons, Augustus H. Carter and Fred G. Carter joined the business and the company became known, as it is today, as H.W.Carter & Sons. Their men’s, women’s and children’s apparel were under the trademark CARTER’S. Anyone who was a blue collar worker, engineer or blacksmith wore the CARTER’S label thus it became known as a work wear brand.

Continuing their company’s growth, H.W.Carter & Sons purchased the Watch the Wear Overall Company of Keen, NH and in 1935, “Carter’s Watch the Wear” became the official trademark on all products manufactured by H.W. Carter & Sons.

As the marking on the blade is "H.W. Carter" and NOT "H.W. Carter & Sons", simply "Carter" or "Carter's Watch the Wear"and as it bears the wagon for which he was famous during the beginning of his career, would I be safe to assume this blade was made for him by Wade and Butcher between 1870 and 1889, as his sons joined him in 1889 and that is when they changed the name of the company?

Any brilliant W&B historians out there are encouraged to chime in.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
[crickets]
attachment.php
[/crickets]

I have seen quite a few W&B with interesting etchings on the blade. Ships, trains etc. Yes, I would think it was made between those dates for sale by him. It wouldn't be later than 1890 as I think that was the last of the W&B until they were taken over by someone else... name escapes me.

The real question seems to be:

HOW DOES A TYCOON'S RAZOR SHAVE?

Cool blade. The whole thing is impressive.

I'll take it.:thumbup: PM Sent.

What kind of scales you gonna put on it?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The real question seems to be:

HOW DOES A TYCOON'S RAZOR SHAVE?

Cool blade. The whole thing is impressive.

I'll take it.:thumbup: PM Sent.

What kind of scales you gonna put on it?

Initially I've been thinking of going with the "original type" dark buffalo horn, but I could reconsider.
I've never been a fan of the fancy or outlandish colored acrylics.

Another reason why I prefer vintage. You can't help but imagine the previous face the razor was on but knowing where it came from is even more special.

Fantastic job!

Very nice find. Looks good.

I have seen quite a few W&B with interesting etchings on the blade. Ships, trains etc. Yes, I would think it was made between those dates for sale by him. It wouldn't be later than 1890 as I think that was the last of the W&B until they were taken over by someone else... name escapes me.

I noticed this too I have one with stars and appears to be a magicians hat and other things, I wish we could have seen the complete etching on this blade.

Black scales in horn or ebony with silver fittings (washers, pins, wedge) just like his horse team was decked out.

Top Bottom