What's new

USB microscope for blade edges

I originally thought this was the best place to post this since it's relevant to the straights and users and don't want to cross post in the various sub-forums, like sales/shopping but I wanted a usb microscope to just check out the edges of my razors and have reference pictures saved its 10x - 230x

http://www.suntekstore.com/1-3-mega...ium=paid&utm_content=deals&utm_campaign=s0003

it's currently ~$33 with free shipping...

proxy.php

very interesting.... keep us posted with some photos of those edges and let us know how it works.

Great price too. :thumbup1:

I've been looking for a great deal on one of these, this might be the one. Let us know how it works when you get it.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
very interesting.... keep us posted with some photos of those edges and let us know how it works.

Great price too. :thumbup1:

+1

I would be curious to see a few pictures...

Some general thoughts: If you are interested in a microscope, I'd recommend a visit to the surplus department of the universities in your neighborhood. You'll often find research microscopes that might be a couple of decades old but that still have top-notch optics. And with luck, nobody else will be bidding on it. With respect to taking pictures, one can often shoot right through the tube using a consumer-type digital camera with excellent results.

Having said that, these small USB microscopes are a blast, and if you are hooked, you can still check out the university.

Cheers! MM

It would be nice to get a review when you get it, I'm interested in buying one too but being a student I don't want to throw away $30.

I was looking at similar ones as these. Unfortunately you needed a PC to use them and all I use is a mac. I guess I could pull out my junker PC laptop that I never use, but my little handheld 160x-200x microscope works great for me.

I would like to buy also if works good. Please review even if brief. Thanks

it's slated for delivery within the next couple of days. i'll post my intial impressions.

I was looking at similar ones as these. Unfortunately you needed a PC to use them and all I use is a mac. I guess I could pull out my junker PC laptop that I never use, but my little handheld 160x-200x microscope works great for me.

I am no tech genius, but i would be suprised if there weren't generic twain drivers available for this as a webcam, especially since it lists a linux driver on the disk. when i get this i can provide the usb info. here is technical linux review http://www.freelabs.com/~whitis/reviews/230X_USB_Microscope/

Last edited:
Excellent :thumbup1:. Last week, I ordered a Veho-VMS-004 USB microscope from Adorama. I am expecting it this week. I hope it's as good as they say it is.

Let us know what kind of picts you get from this :001_smile

The software which comes with Veho VMS-004 is good but understand that the micsroscope is set for 20 and 400 times magification, nothing in between.

proxy.php

I took that with a similar 1.3MP model from the bay. The only way I can manage to sharpen the image is to reduce it in size. I have to muck around with lighting angles to view the edge rather than the blade but this was to show you the quality you can all expect from a 1.3MP camera. That is un-cropped width wise and not re-sized. It is of a 1cm section of my Puma No.10 4/8. If only they made genuine 5MP versions rather than the interpolated ones...

Top Bottom