What's new

Need help with Straight Razors? *************Look Here***********

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Thanks Luc! Great to have this all together! I must read through these myself. Sometimes the sheer volume of threads is overwhelming.

Nice.

How about adding a link for the stropping vid contest thread? That has a few good examples for newbies to reference, which was the intent in the first place.

Luc

Staff member
Nice work... It may be a good idea to link to the original threads that precipitated the wiki page, though :thumbup1:

Did you have a particular thread in mind Paul? Some Wiki page have the original threads linked into them...

Did you have a particular thread in mind Paul? Some Wiki page have the original threads linked into them...

Not necessarily, but the SRP wiki pages usually link back to the threads that the bulk of the information came from. It's kind of nice sometimes to see the back and forth that generated it the information. That's all no big deal. I would have posted the suggestion in the Wiki forum, but my privileges were taken away without any discussion as to why :001_smile

Well I came to this forum to ask the question about moving from DE to Straight razor and found all my questions here! Thanks for the great post.

Luc

Staff member
Added the picture thread!

Luc

Staff member
I just reformatted the OP a little to make it easier to read...

Hi, newbie engineer wanting to know how much a straight edge (SE) wears over time. I have a very thick beard and go though a disposable 2 blade in 3 days (after that it becomes dull and draws blood). I am presuming that a SE will last me a lifetime, but wanted to know how often one would typically need to sharpen and hone a SE razor.

As well, I would like to know how much a blade will wear in a year under this kind of use? 1 micron? 10 or 100? Thanks...

Luc

Staff member
Hi, newbie engineer wanting to know how much a straight edge (SE) wears over time. I have a very thick beard and go though a disposable 2 blade in 3 days (after that it becomes dull and draws blood). I am presuming that a SE will last me a lifetime, but wanted to know how often one would typically need to sharpen and hone a SE razor.

As well, I would like to know how much a blade will wear in a year under this kind of use? 1 micron? 10 or 100? Thanks...

Welcome to B&B!

It depends... Not all razors are made the same. It depends on the steel. Some are softer metal that require more maintenance and others are very hard metals that stay sharp for a very long time. I try to keep a log on when I hone my straights but I don't have 2 that require the same honing pattern (i.e. to be sharpened every X shaves and x laps on the stone to get it sharp again).

On how much metal you remove, not that much, I never measured it but it's very small. I got some straights from the early 1900s and before, they are still very sharp, very good, big blades!

Thanks for compiling all this info. My dad says he's got a couple straights floating around his garage from a yard sale a while back. If he ever finds them (big IF), I'll be sure to get them honed and give this thing a try.

Top Bottom