What's new

New ideas for Old Spice mug lids

Hi,

A short while back I posted some pics of my Old Spice mug with a silicon lid from a re-usable coffee mug.

These mugs are made out of ceramic, and in a tongue-in-cheek twist, they are made to look like the disposable paper to-go cups that you get coffee in.

The lids are made from silicon rubber, and I found that they fit onto the top of my OS mug perfectly. Great, since I like the scent of my soap and didn't want to lose it.

Last edited:
The silicon lids work great, but those cups aren't cheap. At least $9 per cup, not a really affordable solution unless you already have one.

Another gent asked how a standard disposable coffee cup lid would work. Well, I tried it. It works!

The trick is that you have to place it on top upside down. Works fantastically. Cheap, too!

These are the disposable lids that you get with to-go coffee. I highly recommend it if you want to cover up and save your soap's scent.

Last edited:
On a whim, I also tried out something called a "knock out test cap."

It's used in plumbing to test out the size of knock out holes (I presume). This one was the 3" size.

This worked well, too. Depending on the manufacturing tolerances of your OS mug, it might even seat itself flush to the upper flange. This one sits up a little bit.

I got it at Home Depot, I believe.

On a whim, I also tried out something called a "knock out test cap."

It's used in plumbing to test out the size of knock out holes (I presume). This one was the 3" size.

This worked well, too. Depending on the manufacturing tolerances of your OS mug, it might even seat itself flush to the upper flange. This one sits up a little bit.

I got it at Home Depot, I believe.

I really like this one. I will have to get a few of the caps. If they made it in red, it would look almost original. This is a nice find, thanks.

What's Old Spice? :wink2:
Those knock out testers are a great idea. I need to go to HD anyway so I might as well pick up one.

I use a bunch of home canning lids. These are the kind that come in two pieces, an outer ring that screws on to the jar, and the center part, which actually covers the top, and is held in place by the ring. You can buy the center part separately; a pack of 10 should be less than $3.00. I found some that are just the right size to cover the OS mugs. Not a tight fit, but I didn't want that.

Helpful, entertaining, informative and mildly frightening, all at the same time. :thumbup:

Great post!

proxy.php

Now I'm reminded of a joke.

Two baby skunks name In and Out asked there Mama skunk if they go play. She let them, but when it came time for them to return for dinner only OUt came back. Mama sent Out away to look for In, and they soon both came back.

When Mama asked how Out how he found In, Out said, "In stink."

FYI, I just stopped by Home Depot and that's, indeed, where I purchased the 3" knock out test caps. They are $.30 ea., so quite affordable for most of us.

In the two mugs I tried them on, neither sank in fully flush, but worked very well, none-the-less. If your OS mug is not perfectly round, however, (due to manufacturing tolerances) the lid may wobble just a tiny bit. No big deal. They work great and have become my choice for covering my OS mugs.

Top Bottom