What's new

Stropping video

As a relative newbie I really enjoyed your video. I learned some things and had a pleasant 15 mins.
I like your presentation and your laid back style.

Thomas, good job brother. I liked it a lot. You have a knack for explaining things in that cool calm manner. It lends itself to these kind of topics that are tough to explain to people who have never seen the products, but are about to drop some dollars on gear.

Hell, even I did not know to soak my stops in neatsfoot oil like that to make them supple. I thought it would take away from the draw. So the oil does not effect the leather's ability to do it's job?

Keep the videos coming. :thumbup1:

Thx for all the nice respons guys. It makes it all worth while.

Thomas, good job brother. I liked it a lot. You have a knack for explaining things in that cool calm manner. It lends itself to these kind of topics that are tough to explain to people who have never seen the products, but are about to drop some dollars on gear.

Hell, even I did not know to soak my stops in neatsfoot oil like that to make them supple. I thought it would take away from the draw. So the oil does not effect the leather's ability to do it's job?

Keep the videos coming. :thumbup1:

If anything, the oil adds draw. For me thats a good thing, I like draw on my strops. The oil will definitly change the draw on the leather, the texture and surface of the leather changes. I am sure it is not for everybody to do this, again, its YMMW. Maybe I should have explained in the video that oil adds draw.
Thats for bringing up this issue, I will add a box in the video, regarding this matter.

I got an old strop from my wife's uncle and soaked it in neatsfoot and wrapped it in tinfoil for a couple days. It went from a not very supple, sort of hard light brown, to an almost black, very soft leather. I guess it was mostly dead and I never knew, because it is certainly alive again.

I got an old strop from my wife's uncle and soaked it in neatsfoot and wrapped it in tinfoil for a couple days. It went from a not very supple, sort of hard light brown, to an almost black, very soft leather. I guess it was mostly dead and I never knew, because it is certainly alive again.

Awesome!

That's a very nice video.

I will say that you are actually burnishing steel and removing metal, albeit in a very non-agressive manner. You even referenced it in your video ("removing small burs"). You are burnishing the steel and aligning the fin while stropping.

Great work. I like your delivery :thumbup1:

That's a very nice video.

I will say that you are actually burnishing steel and removing metal, albeit in a very non-agressive manner. You even referenced it in your video ("removing small burs"). You are burnishing the steel and aligning the fin while stropping.

Great work. I like your delivery :thumbup1:

Thank you.

Interesting note, I didnt know the term burnishing. So you mean that removing bur is removing metal? You can remove bur by dragging the edge through a piece of wood, but I still wouldnt refer to it as "removing" metal, as I refer to honing when I use that term. Grinding, you know.

:001_smile

Thank you.

Interesting note, I didnt know the term burnishing. So you mean that removing bur is removing metal? You can remove bur by dragging the edge through a piece of wood, but I still wouldnt refer to it as "removing" metal, as I refer to honing when I use that term. Grinding, you know.

:001_smile

You can remove the more than a bur by dragging the edge through a piece of wood too. :tongue_sm

Robert Williams did a "study" of finishing techniques. If you notice, stropping improved the edge. It's slight, but there is an abrasive (ie removing metal) aspect of stropping.

Personally, I don't get burs from my honing, so I wouldn't discuss removing burs at all, but that's another discussion :001_smile

Top Bottom