What's new

first post

I apologize for the long post, but I wanted to recap my 8-month entrance into the world of DE shaving and share the wonderful ride it's been. I've been lurking these boards for about two months, familiarizing myself with techniques, reading reviews, checking out shave dens, and browsing old threads. I owe many thanks to everyone who has run this site and contributed content over the years. I just joined the other day, and I look forward to contributing.

I first learned about DE shaving about a year ago when I stumbled upon an article about shaving the way your grandfather did. I bookmarked it, and I thought, seems really cool, but I'll look into it later. It seemed like a lot to do, I'd need to get a brush, and go to antique stores?? What's that all about? Of course, later turned into weeks and then months. I was in the middle of graduate school and the job search, which all but consumed me for two years. I had been shaving with canned goo and cartridges since the beginning some 15 years ago. Looking back now, I see I was exhibiting our natural resistance to change. Walking through a mall with the wife doing some Christmas shopping last year, we came across a neat store you all know, Art of Shaving. I thought, hmmm, this sounds familiar. She says, look honey, why don't you get one of these nice brushes and one of these heavy razors, they are so classy looking, very manly. Boy, if she knew then what she was getting started. I thought back to that article I had read, and the salesman said "most comfortable shaves ever." I ended up getting a Merkur Progress and a AoS badger brush for Christmas from my wife, sister, heck, even the mother-in-law threw in on it.

When everything came in the mail, I didn't have any creams or soaps, so I just kept using my canned goo until I knew any better. Not the best way to start, but hey, I hadn't found B&B yet. I told the wife I needed some lathering cream, and she got me some Jack Black cream from Sephora, her favorite store. It's not bad stuff, and for a period of six months, it's all I used. I was finishing up grad school, stressing about the job search, and learning just enough technique to not hack my face up in the mornings. Shaving at this point, while a bit more interesting and different, was still a chore I would try to postpone. "Honey, do I need to shave?" SWMBO looks at me for two or three seconds, "Yes."

Finally finished school :biggrin1:, found a job :biggrin1:, and moved into a house. Since it's just us two and no kids, we have a bit of space. SWMBO takes the master bath and makes it a pink palace of sorts, and I take the guest bath in the hall. Actually, I love our set up. I don't have to worry about make-up and hair spray everywhere or her crap spilling over into my drawers and cabinets. As you can see, I was left with three things now that I didn't have before: more time, more money, and more space. In the last couple months, I've learned this is the perfect recipe for some AD's to set in. With time, I found B&B and all of you. After much reading through these pages, I ordered a blade sampler pack since all I had experienced were the Merkurs that came with my Progress and Wally World Personnas. I got some CO Bigelow (Proraso) cream, TOBS Jermyn Street cream, Tabac Soap, Proraso AS, and Institute Karite ASB (which I love). Slowly but surely, I am building myself a shave den of my own, and I'm really enjoying trying different combinations of blade/cream/soap/AS. I'm taking a vintage barbershop theme mixed in with some nautical pieces approach to my bathroom, with some antique barbershop cabinets and display cases to hold all my gear. It's a work in progress, and I look forward to sharing pics in the future.

After reading posts here of love of old razors, I've ventured into the world of collecting vintage razors to go with my Progress. I had never stepped foot in an antique store, but I went antiquing with the wife last weekend and found myself a silver 1910 ABC Pocket with the Shell handle. Today, I found a silver 1909 ABC Pocket with the Scroll handle. How's that for a couple good first finds? I got a few others I'm still dating and identifying, including some SS's and NEW's, I believe. Picked up a few old brushes and Old Spice mugs too. Not sure if they'll hold soap, but for now, they'll decorate the den.

So I just wanted to introduce myself, express my thanks to all of you, and admit that I feel some AD's coming on. Now, shaving truly is a pleasure that I look forward to, and it's turned into a fun hobby of mine. The best thing of all, SWMBO thinks its sexy and good for me.

A few things are next on my list. Go through the rest of my blade sampler, at least most of it. I've still got to try Iridiums, Sharks, Nacets, and Feathers. My favorite right now is Gillette 7 O'clock over the Merkurs, Red IPs, Derbys, and Astras I've tried. My plan is to keep using the Progress to finish the sampler off before experimenting with any of my other razors for consistency. I need to clean all of my newly acquired razors (took me forever to find this MAAS polish). I plan to order pucks of MWF, DR Harris Arlington, and Institute Karite (since I had good luck with the ASB). Also want to start looking into restoring old vintage brushes. I've got a few threads bookmarked to read on this. And I'm thinking of getting one of those fancy pottery scuttles to keep warm lather.

I look forward to typing more in the future. Cheers.

Welcome to the good ship B&B. Take a stroll on the promenade deck and enjoy the voyage. :thumbup1:

Question: What area of the country or what country are you from?

Always remember, relax but be vigilant when you shave!

Last edited:
thanks for the great 1st post.
perhaps you put up some pix of your ABCs.
welcome to B&B!

Welcome to the B&B. Visit often and enjoy the journey. I am partial to vintage Gillette DE razors. You have made some good selections for yourself already.

Thanks for sharing. Too late apparently to warn you about all the ADs you'll catch here. Absolutely need pix of those ABCs. Stick close to B&B and you can't go wrong.

Welcome to B&B. You have just joined a group of fine folks that are eager to help you with all your shaving questions. Enjoy your shaving experience.

Happy shaving,

Doug

Great post, loved reading your story.

Get some soap in the Old Spice mugs...It's what they where made for!

Welcome!

Thanks for the kind words and welcomes, all!

Question: What area of the country or what country are you from?

I live in Pennsylvania. Lots of antique dealers around these parts.

Welcome! You're lucky your wife SUPPORTS the ADs! WOW!

Yes, I am lucky to have her. But I think she supports my newly formed AD's because I have long supported her own AD's! For example, Women's Shoes Acquisition Disorder, followed by Designer Handbags Acquisition Disorder (you may know the sort). Not to mention Small Animal Acquisition Disorder. We've rescued and adopted 6 small dogs and 4 cats. We've got quite the zoo!

perhaps you put up some pix of your ABCs.

No problem posting the pics! But before I do, I got my info from Brian and Len's most excellent post. Excellent research fellas, and after reading it last week, I was well prepared to identify the scroll handle I found yesterday.

First the shell handle. I see an old man selling a brush and some Williams soap. I pick up the brush and ask, do you have the razor to go with? He pulls out the ABC, saying it was his personal shaver for a long time. He was old, but I don't think he was 100 years old. Anyway, it needs a good cleaning, but I'm thinking I'll practice with one of my other cheaper razors to get a feel for the process. He sold me the razor, soap, and brush for $10.

full

full

full

full

full

Next the scroll handle, different day, different dealer. I find what I think is a gold NEW (not sure yet), and I tell the guy I'm starting to collect the old Gillettes. He says, I've got a good one for you. He brings me to the ABC and I ask him if he has any idea how old it is. He says, maybe 1930's or 40's. I say, I think you're looking at something more like 1911 or 1910. He cleaned it up himself, and it shows when compared to the shell handle. Not sure if he was asking too much at $40, but I get a feeling these don't surface too often. What do you guys think? By now I'm out of cash so I call the wife over. She loves the razor and pulls out the cash. I know what you're thinking, but Lord knows I've done the same in the past when she's holding a pair of new Gucci sunglasses and I think it's time to go. It's my turn now! :lol:

full

full

full

full

full

And here they are together.

full

full

full

While we were out, I found a neat pipe holder that I'll incorporate into my den. I wanted to share. You'll notice it speaks to our Small Animal AD I mentioned before. I want to do something like this.

full

full

I posted all of these using the Gallery feature. Is that the easiest way to post pictures, or should I be using Attachments? It took me a little bit of time to compress, upload, copy and paste the tags. Also, it seems like I've eaten up close to 20% of my storage space in a single post. How big are the images you guys post?

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom