What's new

Cheap Shave

I was in abit of a hurry yesterday so broke out my palmolive soap stick that I haven't used in a while. It's a great soap if you want a quick but good lather. A quick rub against the grain, a damp brush and you get gobs of lather in thirty seconds. I had a three pass shave and followed up with my old spice splash. I think the old spice complements the moisturising palmolive soap very well, leaves the face nice and toned. I was using a three day old derby blade also. While i'm a sucker for all the big name soaps & aftershaves there is no doubt if you really want to you can get a great shave for pennies everytime.

All right, I'll bite here...
I've got one that must be 15 years old but is only about 1" left now. I've always used it when shaving with water heated by outdoor stove (hexamine, gas, wood), 1-pass only, with cartridges.

I tried using it last night, got a great 1st pass.
Then what?
Am I supposed to somehow manage to keep three more passes of lather on the shaving brush? Because once I've gotten rid of 90%+ of my whiskers in the 1st pass, there's nothing to scrub the stick onto to get my next lather.

I gather the alternative is "milling it" - which I understand means getting it as dry as I can then hitting it up on the parmesan cheese grater or something?

All right, I'll bite here...
I've got one that must be 15 years old but is only about 1" left now. I've always used it when shaving with water heated by outdoor stove (hexamine, gas, wood), 1-pass only, with cartridges.

I tried using it last night, got a great 1st pass.
Then what?
Am I supposed to somehow manage to keep three more passes of lather on the shaving brush? Because once I've gotten rid of 90%+ of my whiskers in the 1st pass, there's nothing to scrub the stick onto to get my next lather.

I gather the alternative is "milling it" - which I understand means getting it as dry as I can then hitting it up on the parmesan cheese grater or something?
I believe that the answer here is, yes, you should have a good bit of lather on your brush. Although, I am only inferring (or am I deducing?) that because I've never actually used a stick.

Any good tallow stick gives me upwards of 5 passes from a single "face-load".
gets a little runny after the 3rd pass, on account of my lightly/quickly dipping the brush in the sink before every pass

Based largely on this thread I gave it another go this morning.

My effort is already in my shave log but to summarise the lathering:
I showered, then scrubbed the stick on my stubbly, wet face and face-lathered.
While brushing my teeth I rested my badger brush in my "focus on function" shave mug (it's a thermal plastic mug "liberated" from a hospital).

After brushing my teeth I washed my face with a hot face-washer, reapplyed the shave stick then relathered with the same still lather-laden brush.

This made about a gazillion percent difference to how much lather was on the brush and my face.

It still ended up being a bit sticky though! Good result for the lather, less so for my straight-shaving (poor stropping squarely to blame).

Top Bottom