What's new

Using Microwave For Hot Steam Towels ????

Using Microwave For Hot Steam Towels ????

Is this yet another "Urban Legend?

Has anyone tried this yet? Does it work? Any tips?

Thanks in Advance,

Tony

To the already dampened towel, spritz on a bit of hydrosol for a little extra pampering with fragrance, similar to an oshibori towel.
Sue

To the already dampened towel, spritz on a bit of hydrosol

Sounds great Sue but what is hydrosol?

To the already dampened towel, spritz on a bit of hydrosol for a little extra pampering with fragrance, similar to an oshibori towel.
Sue

Yes, or some Trumper extract of WI Limes, like I saw a Trumper barber do.

Richard,
Hydrosol is the pure steam distillate from the production of essential oils. The steam, which is then a water is collected during the process. There are some fragrant waters sold as hydrosol that aren't, as they have added fragrance. Know your vendor.

As mentioned; applying a spritz of any fragrance you enjoy will only be a plus with the hot towel.

Before all the budget flights with budget service were common a hot oshibori towel before a meal on a commercial flight was very appreciated.
Sue

Richard,
Hydrosol is the pure steam distillate from the production of essential oils. The steam, which is then a water is collected during the process. There are some fragrant waters sold as hydrosol that aren't, as they have added fragrance. Know your vendor.
Sue

Sue,

Since you say some vendors are a bit dodgy, can you tell us who you recommend for hyrosols?

I looked on your site and couldn't find any.

Thanks,
Chad

The microwave works great to steam up a wet towel. I usually put the wet towl in my shaving bowl and heat it for 1 minute.

I also have a rice cooker / steamer that I use for this... I put a six pack of wet/ rung out and rolled white towels in for about 15 minutes for late night guests to refresh just like on the airplane... a drip of menthol in the water puts some smiles on the faces..... good times! I pass em' out with chopsticks a la' Japan airlines.

I just pick up the flannel out of my tub of hot water, shake out the excess and hold that to my face. Does steam confer a particular advantage?

Ive seen a barber roll up the towel and place one of the ends to the faucet with hot water running. The towel gets soaked and very warm. Then, it gets rung out and unrolled. Prolly easier than running into the microwave every a couple min! :wink:

I find I need to use a microwave for my hot towel if I shower before I shave because the remaining hot water isn't enough to create steam. I should mention that I have a young daughter which has caused us to turn down the hot water heater from scalding to hot. I also live in a small ranch style house which means that it is a short walk with no stairs between the bathroom and the microwave.

I lather my face and hold a steaming towel to my face for 1-2 minutes two times before I start to shave. It is important to wring out the towel evenly. Too much water makes the towel too hot to handle. I put the towel in the microwave for about 1 minute and 10 seconds, but YMicrowaveMV. I use the steaming towels which I purchased from Classicshaving.com.

Reading about using a rice steamer has got me curious to try it. The same with applying a hydrosol.

Also my brother told me that he was going to buy an electric kettle which allowed the user to specify the temperature the water is raised to. He tells me it is important when making coffee in a french press not to use boiling water, but rather water which is almost boiling, in order to get the best flavor. I'll have to ask him what the brandname it is. I would certainly want to have one if my bathroom was on the second floor.

I just pick up the flannel out of my tub of hot water, shake out the excess and hold that to my face. Does steam confer a particular advantage?

I cant imagine that it does, But I think the towels are hotter than what my hot water tank can provide....

Reading about using a rice steamer has got me curious to try it. The same with applying a hydrosol.

Mine came with a "steam tray" top on it, for the record, some do not have this.... I would imagine that any scent would be nice. By the way, I go real easy on the menthol... I also have a peppermint oil that i use in the same regard.

Top Bottom