What's new

A couple of Wade & Butcher straights

Recent acquisitions. Been looking for a nice British straight to add to my rotation. The thinner blade one of the two seems the more likely choice for a restoration project. I have some doubts about the other one as its really heavy and the V profile is massive.

Any ideas on age? I figure the black one is not as old as the other one as it has plastic scales but then again i don't know what material the other scales are???

Any ideas on age? I figure the black one is not as old as the other one as it has plastic scales but then again i don't know what material the other scales are???
The big one is pre-1890 (no country of origin stamp)
But probably made after 1840 or so. Looks like horn scales.
Light sanding & a soak in mineral oil will bring the shine right back to the scales!

The other one is newer. Early 1900's maybe?

and another one came in the post today! This one looks a lot like the other one i already have. Presumably one of the last Wade & Butcher made before going out of business. I've sent one to Steve Dempster at the Invisible Edge to restore today.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
My Wade & Butcher - 13/16 - Sheffield - Horn scales

attachment.php

The sticky said this is a good place to post Wade and Butcher pics.

Any idea the age on this guy, or how to find out ages on straights in general?

proxy.php

I just love the etched-in font on this stuff, and a desire to bring back some of the past. I think that's why I like the idea of straight-shaving so much: useful tools that are still just as useful as they were 100+ years ago.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
The sticky said this is a good place to post Wade and Butcher pics.

Any idea the age on this guy, or how to find out ages on straights in general?

proxy.php

I just love the etched-in font on this stuff, and a desire to bring back some of the past. I think that's why I like the idea of straight-shaving so much: useful tools that are still just as useful as they were 100+ years ago.

This should help: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php?title=Wade_&_Butcher_Manufacturer

Very nice looking blades guys. I've bought a handful of W&B razors (including a couple of massive choppers) over the past year. Now I've got to start having them restored.

Here are a few I had handy photos of. In the group shot the first row is all W&B. 24 or so but I think I have more. I'll see if I can take more photos of the rest. And the small one isn't a shorty. It came from the factory that way. And I do really like the MOP piece.

Attachments

• $IMG_2924.jpg
    $IMG_2924.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 501
  • $IMG_1544-001.JPG
    $IMG_1544-001.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 499
  • $IMG_1553-001.JPG
    $IMG_1553-001.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 499
  • $IMG_3261.jpg
    $IMG_3261.jpg