What's new

Boar Lathering Video Challenge

OK, disclaimer first: I'm a Badgerist. I believe they are, as a class, superior to Boar shaving brushes. I think they require far less work to use, and require far less soap to make successful lather, and make that lather of a higher quality. It takes me less than 5 seconds of swirling on the hardest soaps I've ever used to make enough lather for more than 3 passes of shaving. And I can do it from day one with any badger brush I've ever owned.

So, I'm basically asking to be proven wrong. I want to see a video where somebody makes good lather from shaving soap (no super/uberlather) without destroying 5 times as much soap as they ought to. This "Quick Lather with Boar" video (and various other boar lathering videos, including those on Williams) has me convinced that, in order to use boar, you have to use a ton more product; it's very wasteful and laborious. On the contrary, videos like Joel's straight razor shave demonstrate the efficiency of Badger - taking a few seconds of swirling to generate plenty of lather, right on the beard. On MWF to boot!

I'm throwing down the gauntlet, BEGGING you to prove me wrong. Let's SEE it in action.

R

rodeo

you're on!~

Give me a day to line up my camera person and I'll whip up a good lather using the SOC in under a minute. the clock will be in the background. Glad to do this!

Nothing like a challenge to spark some interest. :w00t:

It is amusing to see how we have such loyalty to certain products or methods - be it beer, booze, or shaving!

R

rodeo

It's not as much loyalty as it is a tutorial to show that yes, "it can be done" and if making a short video stops Dyson from giving up (and thus, selling his S.O.C. ) then it is worth doing. Apparently others are also struggling with this brush too and it does require doing things a bit outside the box, er' bowl.

you're on!~

Give me a day to line up my camera person and I'll whip up a good lather using the SOC in under a minute. the clock will be in the background. Glad to do this!

Took you 2 mins to reply. JP, I think you lit a fire under Ken's ***!

Maybe I'll scrounge up the tripod and try a video this weekend!

OK, disclaimer first: I'm a Badgerist. I believe they are, as a class, superior to Boar shaving brushes. I think they require far less work to use, and require far less soap to make successful lather, and make that lather of a higher quality. It takes me less than 5 seconds of swirling on the hardest soaps I've ever used to make enough lather for more than 3 passes of shaving. And I can do it from day one with any badger brush I've ever owned.

So, I'm basically asking to be proven wrong. I want to see a video where somebody makes good lather from shaving soap (no super/uberlather) without destroying 5 times as much soap as they ought to. This "Quick Lather with Boar" video (and various other boar lathering videos, including those on Williams) has me convinced that, in order to use boar, you have to use a ton more product; it's very wasteful and laborious. On the contrary, videos like Joel's straight razor shave demonstrate the efficiency of Badger - taking a few seconds of swirling to generate plenty of lather, right on the beard. On MWF to boot!

I'm throwing down the gauntlet, BEGGING you to prove me wrong. Let's SEE it in action.

I'm FAR more intrigued to see YOU whip up good lather with under 5 seconds on the clock with a Badger. :001_huh:

If you challenge boar users and their brushes, then maybe stick to ya and show us a video where YOU do such a feat with a badger....

Gents, I am HIGHLY encouraged by the response so far. Additional style points to go comparing a broken in brush to one that isn't, or using an "every-man" boar brush like the Omega 49. Not by any stretch a requirement...

R

rodeo

Yes, I intend to bowl lather and I think it would be great if others posted their videos too. I hope to have mine posted by the end of today but my cameragirl (daughter) just went to the beach for the day.

I'm FAR more intrigued to see YOU whip up good lather with under 5 seconds on the clock with a Badger. :001_huh:

If you challenge boar users and their brushes, then maybe stick to ya and show us a video where YOU do such a feat with a badger....

Meh. First of all, I said I can load my brush in 5 seconds. That means I'm only putting bristle to brush for 5 seconds, and the brush picks up enough soap to make plenty of lather. I don't think I need to demonstrate that because, quite frankly, it's been shown plenty of times in various shaving videos. If there's enough demand, I'll do it.

Add me to the demand for you to do it on video. I'm very interested to see you make real good lather with a brush loaded for 5 seconds or less on a hard soap and especially interested to see how you will prove that your lather is better AND took LESS soap to make than the boar brushed lather.

Meh. First of all, I said I can load my brush in 5 seconds. That means I'm only putting bristle to brush for 5 seconds, and the brush picks up enough soap to make plenty of lather. I don't think I need to demonstrate that because, quite frankly, it's been shown plenty of times in various shaving videos. If there's enough demand, I'll do it.

I can do the same with a boar, but it does depend on the hardness of the soap. Tabac is one such soap. Trumpers Rose takes a bit longer, but only about 10-15 secs on the soap.

I'd love to do a vid to prove it, but simply don't have that much time on my hands. I guess I'll have to keep on doing what I'm doing, and just be happy it works.

I can't change the world - sometimes it's all I can mange to change a light bulb.

A brand new boar with a fat knot is, of course, a different proposition, and it will take a little while to break in. Add in a new boar user, and there's a recipe for impatience and frustration. It took me a week to familiarise myself with the #620, and yes, a good badger will rock n roll from shave 1.

Add me to the demand for you to do it on video. I'm very interested to see you make real good lather with a brush loaded for 5 seconds or less on a hard soap and especially interested to see how you will prove that your lather is better AND took LESS soap to make than the boar brushed lather.

Truthfully, "better" is as defined by me and my experience making lather with boar and badger. I've never had boar brushes turn out as much good lather as I wanted. The "less soap" remark is a simple logical progression - less time swirling on the soap with less stiff/scratchy bristles = less soap removed from the puck.

I'll save us all the time and link to Mantic's 10-minute wet-shave video. You can watch him load his brush from :46 to :51 and get a three pass shave. It's a softer soap, sure, but I rarely go for the quantity of lather he gets out of that. I'm typically a two-pass man.

Still, I'll see if I can figure out a way to demo this with the likes of Tabac or MWF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qSIP6uQ3EI

But the question wasn't if MANTIC can do it, you claimed that YOU can. And who knows, Mantic might be able to do the same with a boar.......

Just saying...you threw the gauntlet, don't be surprised if someone picked it up and throws it back at ya.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to create a stir here but i think your "challenge" is rather....odd. How can you prove that whoever made the video used more soap? How can you prove that the lather isn't as good? How can you prove that it's not just the difference in soap used?

<EDIT> By the way i neither agree nor disagree with you. I have both kinds of brushes, several of them in fact and i know what i can do or what i can't do with them. And i my mind, i just counted 5 seconds and i am 100&#37; certain i could make decent lather with both Boar and/or Bagder with the amount i take from the puck in 5 seconds. I just don't see the point of this challenge apart from it being semi amusing.

Last edited:
How can you prove that whoever made the video used more soap?

ScYcS, did you watch the aforementioned video ?

It seemed to me that he used a ton of soap.

And as a newbie, I welcome tutorials that help me improve my technique.
After having watched the video, I had serious doubts about my technique. It was pretty extreme.

I'm going to carve you out a huge portion of beneficial doubt; I could read your posts a couple of different ways, so I'm going to assume gentlemanly intent.

The point, when boiled down, is this: Badger brushes aren't in question here. I haven't seen anything but a solid reputation of efficacy (assuming good technique) demonstrated in various forum posts, replete with pictures and even video.

I see posts of boar-fans claiming the same things for their brushes (and I want to believe them and share in that experience) but I don't see any evidence of that in video form. I think the outcome of this will greatly benefit the community - we'll finally have some reference points for training newbie wetshavers in how to use their boar brushes, and what they can expect in terms of how much water to use, how much loading to do, and what sort of lather they'll get in the end. We don't need another example of a guy getting good lather with a badger brush in a short amount of time.

I'm going to carve you out a huge portion of beneficial doubt; I could read your posts a couple of different ways, so I'm going to assume gentlemanly intent.

The point, when boiled down, is this: Badger brushes aren't in question here. I haven't seen anything but a solid reputation of efficacy (assuming good technique) demonstrated in various forum posts, replete with pictures and even video.

I see posts of boar-fans claiming the same things for their brushes (and I want to believe them and share in that experience) but I don't see any evidence of that in video form. I think the outcome of this will greatly benefit the community - we'll finally have some reference points for training newbie wetshavers in how to use their boar brushes, and what they can expect in terms of how much water to use, how much loading to do, and what sort of lather they'll get in the end. We don't need another example of a guy getting good lather with a badger brush in a short amount of time.

Well in that case, then i welcome the idea and hope you get many videos that show the proper process. I have no video equipment to show any of my lathering process but to answer also the poster above you, yes, i DID see that video and i thought it was the worst lathering process i had seen posted in a long time.

I load either one of my brush types almost completely dry on to the soap. The guy in the video uses a brush LOADED with water and the result is obvious: A waste of product.

By the way, the following post helped me a lot back when my lather wasn't all that great. The tutorial shown there works with both, Badger and Boars alike.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21136

Probably the most helpful lathering tutorial when I was starting out, too. That's my general approach to bowl lathering whenever I do that (rarely). For face lathering, however, I leave in a bit more water (and my face is usually wetter).

Even Jim says 15 seconds though, so apparently I'm out on an island with that 5 second loading claim. Admittedly, that's for my daily shave (lately 1-pass + touch-up with a KAI Captain, or two-passes with a DE). I usually have some extra though.

Probably the most helpful lathering tutorial when I was starting out, too. That's my general approach to bowl lathering whenever I do that (rarely). For face lathering, however, I leave in a bit more water (and my face is usually wetter).
Ditto, to everything you said. :001_cool:

Top Bottom