What's new

Gillette 7 O'Clock Discussion

I haven't found a thread dedicated to various types of 7 O'Clock blades. What are the main differences found between the different types of Gillette's 7 O'Clock blades?

I haven't found a thread dedicated to various types of 7 O'Clock blades. What are the main differences found between the different types of Gillette's 7 O'Clock blades?

Yellow 7 O'Clock , Sharp Edge, are multi-coated and made in St. Petersburg Russia, these are great blades.

Green 7 O'Clock, Super Stainless, are uncoated and are also made in Russia. There is also a multi-coated version, Perma Sharp, that are made in India.

Black 7 O'Clock, Super Platinum, are platinum coated and made in India, these are also great blades.

Last edited:
In a nutshell, there are several varieties:

7 O'Clock Super Stainless - Russion blades in a green package. Good quality blades.
7 O'Clock PermaSharp - Indian blades in a green package. Very good overall.
7 O'Clock Super Platinum - Indian blades in a black package. Very good as well and a premium blade in India.
7 O'clock SharpEdge - Russian blades in a yellow package. Probably the best blade of the group.

Last edited:
I'm curious about them, but have yet to actually try any of them. I've just gotten to the point where I've found my angle and method for good shaving, and can now experiment fairly with blades.

Are there any noticable differences in sharpness, etc. between the different 7 O'Clock blades?

Are there any noticable differences in sharpness, etc. between the different 7 O'Clock blades?

Yes, they are different it terms of sharpness but were talking subtleties. The main difference is their relative smoothness. The PermaSharp is slightly sharper than the Super Stainless. The Super Platinum and the SharpEdge are the smoother blades. The SharpEdge is probably the sharpest blade as well.

I tried 5 of the Yellows and never had them work for me, smooth but they always nicked me.. I had 6, so I gave the remaining one way with a razor I sold on here.

The 7 O'clock Permasharps are one of my top 3 blades along with Super Iridiums and Personna Reds. I tried the Yellows a few times and just didn't really like them a whole lot. I'm curious to try the Blacks, though. I get the impression that the Indian blades are superior to the Russians, though I know a lot of people really love the Yellows.

In a nutshell, there are several varieties:

7 O'Clock Super Stainless - Russion blades in a green package. Good quality blades.
7 O'Clock PermaSharp - Indian blades in a green package. Very good overall.
7 O'Clock Super Platinum - Indian blades in a black package. Very good as well and a premium blade in India.
7 O'clock SharpEdge - Russian blades in a yellow package. Probably the best blade of the group.

There are actually two types of Super Platinum blade. The blueish ones with the (TM) after the 7 O'Clock logo are made in Russia. I've updated the wiki to illustrate this here: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/inde...s#7_O.27Clock_Super_Platinum_.28black_pack.29

Don't ask me how they shave, because I'm still trying to get a hold of a pack to properly compare them!

I love the Blacks -- they are just really great blades for me. Yellows are pretty nice, and the Greens rank slightly behind the Yellows in terms of smoothness.
The blacks are a little pricey, but I would love to buy some in bulk.

I love the Blacks -- they are just really great blades for me. Yellows are pretty nice, and the Greens rank slightly behind the Yellows in terms of smoothness.
The blacks are a little pricey, but I would love to buy some in bulk.

I saw some on eBay...$15 for 70 out of India. As for authenticity...caveat emptor.

I use the Super Stainless (Russian Greens) a LOT and I absolutely love them. I'm not going to say they're better than the black or yellows but I will say I can get them for much cheaper than them and I don't think the yellows or blacks are THAT much better to warrant the higher price my opinion of course.

Yellow 7 O'Clock , Sharp Edge, are multi-coated and made in St. Petersburg Russia, these are great blades.

Green 7 O'Clock, Super Stainless, are uncoated and are also made in Russia. There is also a multi-coated version, Perma Sharp, that are made in India.

Black 7 O'Clock, Super Platinum, are platinum coated and made in India, these are also great blades.

To add to the confusion, Gillette has renamed the permasharp blade in India to Super Stainless in line with the Russian counter part. So no more Permasharp, only Super Stainless in the green box.

To add to the confusion, Gillette has renamed the permasharp blade in India to Super Stainless in line with the Russian counter part. So no more Permasharp, only Super Stainless in the green box.

That's too bad because because I felt the Permasharp were a little better than the Super Stainless, not that it was a bad blade at all.

That's too bad because because I felt the Permasharp were a little better than the Super Stainless, not that it was a bad blade at all.

I have placed an order for a 1000 blades with P&G which should arrive to me next week. I would get to know. I think it is only a name change, they might not change the quality. Over time in India, Gillette is known to keep on changing brand names of blades perhaps to make them appear novelty. The black blades for example have been sold as diamond, ejtek and many other names in the past.

I have placed an order for a 1000 blades with P&G which should arrive to me next week. I would get to know. I think it is only a name change, they might not change the quality. Over time in India, Gillette is known to keep on changing brand names of blades perhaps to make them appear novelty. The black blades for example have been sold as diamond, ejtek and many other names in the past.
I'm sure the quality will be the same, it will just be confusing as to which version you are purchasing. If I now purchase Super Stainless from an on-line vendor, will I get ones made in India or Russia? If it matters to the individual, they will have to specifically request that information from the vendor.

Top Bottom