What's new

Derby blade update

I met with the Derby importer for the USA who is known to us as The Shaving Factory. He is located in northern New Jersey about 20 miles from my job. As he stated, his company is the sole importer of Derby blades to the USA. I made mention of the boards dis-pleasure with the brand and asked what if anything has changed. He stated nothing has changed in any way during the manufacturing process, just the card on the plastic carrier. He did state they plan to change that back to the old printing however. His warehouse has both style carriers, and he obtains them by container load from their factory Turkey. Kind of dis-spells the Chinese knock off theory for me.

I assume there will be many post to follow stating members do not believe this given the current feeling or reputation the brand has now. It's the best I can offer you.

While in the warehouse he showed me a new hanging card display they plan to roll out in USA stores and supermarkets shortly. It contains 10 blades in quite different printing. I have attached the photo below.

Thanks for the info Joe.

I have had really good success with Derby in the past. Then I had a vertical Derby that just ripped my face up. Since then I have been reluctant to use them without corking them first.

I would like the try the USA branded packaging though, so hopefully those are available soon. :tongue_sm

Even the supposed "bad" vertical Derby's seem to work well for some people, so it's hard to accurately tell just how far reaching the issue may have been.

Last edited:
I ordered a box of 100 of the vertical Derbys several months ago. I've used 10 of them so far. I had one blade which was the first Derby I tried in my Tech and the shave was terrible. I'm not sure it was the blade or the combination. The Tech is great with an Iridium or Feather. The blades since then have been fine and when used in a Superspeed, the Derbys give me the best shave I've ever had.

Thanks for the info, and I like the look of the hanging card.

And glad they have found the problem with the vertical Derbys , and will be implementing a fix soon! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Joe,

Great Job for Memmet! I thinks this would be targetted to Big Chain Stores like CVS, Walmart, and so on..

Michigan,

I think they are the same ones from factory but packaged in pcs of 10. Just now available in larger areas of USA.

While in the warehouse he showed me a new hanging card display they plan to roll out in USA stores and supermarkets shortly.

Great Job Joe!

Thanks for the info.

Dark

Sorry but what is the difference between the "horiztonal" and "verticle" Derbys ?

I have been using the ones with the green face that come 5 in a pack.

Please forgive the stupid question as I am a newbie.

Cheers,
Rick

(W)hat is the difference between the "horiztonal" and "verticle" Derbys ?

Hold the package such that you can read the brand name. Is the oblong package being held horizontally or vertically? If held horizontally, those are "horizontals". If held vertically, those are "verticals".
-- Chet

EDIT: The package in the pic at the top of this thread would be called "horizontal".

Last edited:
Hold the package such that you can read the brand name. Is the oblong package being held horizontally or vertically? If held horizontally, those are "horizontals". If held vertically, those are "verticals".
-- Chet

EDIT: The package in the pic at the top of this thread would be called "horizontal".

Excellent. Thank you very much..

I'm not one to believe the hype, but I've alternated between horizonal and vertical Derbys and you can definitely tell there's a difference. And I know it's not just the cardboard insert that changed because the lettering on the blade is now much more faded as well.

I loved Derbys, but now I don't think I'll go back unless they really step up the QC on their future blades.

I'm not totally convinced. When I first stared DE shaving the horzontal Derby blades were tops, the verticals are rougher and definately need corking!

I have shaved better with Derbys than with Suer Iridiums:w00t:
that said, I got mine from TESC sample and oerdered an pack as well.

It seems they dont know what to tell us at Derby headquarters..
I started DE shaving with vertical Derby Blades and I found them to be very harsh around my neck and chin area even after getting the hang of DE shaving.

Top Bottom