What's new

Caring for the Razor

What (if anything) does anyone do to help keep their razor looking good over a long period of time?

What I have started doing is between blade changes, I am taking the razor and a toothbrush under running hot water and cleaning any soap residue that may still be on the razor, then wiping the razor off so it is ready for the next blade.

Just curious as to what others do to maintain longevity of the razor and the plating.

Loosen doors.

Rinse with hot water.

Drop blade on towel, pat dry.

Flick open razor toward palm 4-5 times.

Dry top and bottom of razor head inside and out with corner of towel.

Loosely reinstall blade.

Metal is warm to aid in air drying.

Sounds like a big deal but can be done in about 30 seconds and you always pick up a clean shining razor the next morning.

I try not to clean the razor with any abrasives, including a brush or towel. I wash with soap and rinse the razor with water. Every so often, I take it apart (if it's a multiple piece razor) and clean off the parts with my finger/thumb in soap water and then rinse. If its a particularly tough spot, only then do I take out a brush to clean it. A razor will get grimy with use but there's little point to prematurely wearing off the plating for the sake of being overly fastidious.

After a hot water rinse I wipe down my razors with a tissue and a Q-Tip. That removes any soap residue and the razor looks like new again. The act of shaving over the years wears away the plating because of bristle like beards. I would think using a toothbrush every day would increase the wear over time, not prevent it.

Len

If it's going back in the cabinet to wait it's next spot in the rotation then I do pretty much what you do but I also give it a run through the ultrasonic cleaner. I'll sometimes also put a couple of drops of really light machine oil on the top of the TTO shaft and let it soak in.

And be careful with the flicking. I would wager that the majority of bent teeth and bent safety bars were caused either by slick fingers during such a rinse, or by the assumption that a ball end handle would stay together.

What (if anything) does anyone do to help keep their razor looking good over a long period of time?

What I have started doing is between blade changes, I am taking the razor and a toothbrush under running hot water and cleaning any soap residue that may still be on the razor, then wiping the razor off so it is ready for the next blade.

Just curious as to what others do to maintain longevity of the razor and the plating.

I think what you are doing is good. When I buy vintage razors, I use a toothbrush when I disinfect and polish them anyway so I don't think a toothbrush will damage a razor. Just pat dry a few times on your towel and let the razor air dry.

DL

If, for instance, it is a 3-piece razor, I take the pieces apart, remove the blade, dry the pieces with a towel, and leave everything apart until I come home from work. Then I put it back together and hang it up.

If it has a butterfly opening, I remove the blade, leave the top open, dry the parts, and close it back up with the blade that evening.

Top Bottom