What's new

Hair Conditioner Pucks/Bars

As a follow up on my shampoo bar thread (here), I thought I'd take on a search for artisan hair conditioner pucks/bars. The travel advantage is obvious, but there's also a certain economy to not paying for extra water in the products we buy.

Some quick google-fu led me over here to an Etsy store and their "conditioner that rolls." What interested me particularly was the unique combo of ingredients and the fact that the conditioners come in various scents instead of just generic or unscented. This opens up a possibility of herbal / hair friendly add ins similar to what one might find with the artisan soapers and shampoo bar makers.

I was tempted between the "thai coconut" conditioner bar and the "rosemary mint." I ended up with the "r-m" as it would match the "r-m" shampoo bar that I"m currently using from Rose of Sharon Acres and one that I have on deck from Chagrin Valley. (Rosemary is thought to be good for thinning hair and for the scalp. Mint is thought to be good for the scalp and circulation.)

My order arrived quickly... maybe 3 days post-ordering. Initially I was a bit torn between "worry" and enjoyment. On the enjoyment side, the puck was quite well scented and smelled great. Worry because with all that scent I thought I'd freeze my scalp off and also, the puck arrived on a warm day and while it was well-sealed in plastic, the puck had become quite oily... what would that do to my hair?

For those of you playing at home, I wear my hair in something of a high-n-tight, but I tend to wash my hair frequently and it can get a little dry over time. Switching to bar shampoo has helped a lot, but I still find myself using regular conditioner from time-to-time.

Now, I've been using the R-M solid conditioner for 4 or 5 days. It's very simple to use. Just rub it through your wet hair a few times and then massage your scalp to mix it in well. Let it sit a bit if you like (I leave it on while I shave in the shower) and then rinse out. I should also note, that much to my satisfaction, there was no "scalp freeze" involved. The mint scent is quite noticeable, but beyond a light tingle on the scalp, nothing to shy away from.

I'm happy to report that my hair has never been as soft or as manageable to date. The conditioning is just right; my scalp is happy. My hair is soft and has more shine with none of they symptoms of over-conditioning, oily residue or heaviness.

Pricewise, the puck from Getlathered (link above) might be a little high (not sure), but the ingredients seem to be quality and exotic. Further, the puck seems like it will last quite some time.

As a side note, while I was waiting for my order to arrive, I also sent Ida over at Chagrin Valley an email asking if she made a similar product. I got a reply from her son, Sam who said that they indeed have such an animal but that it was listed with the shampoo bars as a "butter conditioner shampoo bar." According to Sam, despite the bar being listed with the shampoos, it is really a solid conditioner. But due to a small amount of soap in it (to help with the rinse out), his mother felt that it should be listed as a conditioner-shampoo bar/all-in-one. This bar is the only conditioner they make thus far. I received that order today and it has a light rosemary scent to it.

Please feel free to list your finds and/or results (if you give them a go) also.

Last edited:
Small update from this morning: I used the Chagrin Valley "butter conditioner shampoo bar" and it's really more of an all-in-one than a straight conditioner bar. It lathers up just like a regular shampoo bar, but does leave my hair more moisturized. Looks like it would be convenient for travel, but I wanted a separate product.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Great info sir!

Us "road warriors" need to keep abreast of things like this. I never even knew they existed.
Hotel living can be tough and a bar would sure beat the heck out of those tiny bottles of dish soap and whale blubber they call shampoo and conditioner.
Can the shampoo bar double as a body soap or is that cost prohibitive? I'd like to escape the barbie size soap bars as well.

Last edited:
Great info sir!

Us "road warriors" need to keep abreast of things like this. I never even knew they existed.
Hotel living can be tough and a bar would sure beat the heck out of those tiny bottles of dish soap and whale blubber they call shampoo and conditioner.
Can the shampoo bar double as a body soap or is that cost prohibitive? I'd like to escape the barbie size soap bars as well.

Thanks Phil!

I would think that the shampoo bars could easily double as a body bar, depending on the brand. Some of them may not lather quite as much on the body as in the hair (depending on your fur coat, lol). But, as far as cleaning, there should be no difference.

Ogallala bath bars, for ex, are advertised as body, shampoo, and shave, tho they say up front that the shave isn't going to be a good as with their regular shave puck. Then you'd just need a separate conditioner bar if you normally use such a thing. Rose of Sharon Acres shampoo bars are fantastic as a shampoo (added goat's milk), and are advertised as shave worthy too. I've done that as well in the name of science and can say that they'll do in a pinch, but they would not be my first choice for shaving.

Most of the bars are very good sized and some of the shampoo bars are huge, so I think it's really just a matter of figuring out what scents you like, if you wanted added herbal ingredients, and which bars work best for you. Tho, so far, I've not run into any (conditioner/shampoo/soap) that I definitely would not use.

The initial outlay is going to be more than your bargain brand of liquid shampoo (or conditioner), but the bars, I suspect, will last much longer, are probably better for your hair and scalp, and some will even multi-task. Win-win, imho.

Last edited:
I'm positively going to look into the Ogallala bars once I return to civilization.

I think you'll be pleased. The scents are great and the bars are huge. One word of caution, tho: my skin can be sensitive and I reacted badly to the lemongrass when I shaved with the shave puck, so you may want to be careful if you have sensitive skin too. Otherwise, no issues that I'm aware of.

edit: You'll note that I haven't mentioned the Chagrin Valley shave soaps. They are really not ready for prime time at least for men's usage, unfortunately. I am helping them test some new formulas as they come along, but so far, nothing that I can recommend. Chagrin shampoo bars could also double for body use, tho IIRC, they don't lather quite as much in that usage (I lurves me my lather.).

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I think you'll be pleased. The scents are great and the bars are huge. One word of caution, tho: my skin can be sensitive and I reacted badly to the lemongrass when I shaved with the shave puck, so you may want to be careful if you have sensitive skin too. Otherwise, no issues that I'm aware of.

No problems with that whatsoever. Never have had sensitive skin at all.
I remember KP duty cleaning out galley ovens with Easyoff Oven Cleaner wearing a T-shirt and dungarees. :w00t:

Just put in my second order (tho I still have plenty of my first one left) for a getlathered.etsy.com solid conditioner (rosemary/mint). Great stuff!

S

Sam

Chagrin Valley's Cammomile and Calendula bath soap is a GREAT shampoo bar and conditioner. Lathers more profusely than the Tea Tree shampoo bar and it conditions as well. I use it 5 days a week and the Tea Tree two. I have a nettle soap tester that I will try and then an Oatmeal and Goatsmilk soap bar but I think the soaps will do well for shampoo bars and if they are moisturizing, a conditioner.

I ordered the pear fragrance conditioner-that-rolls, and it's on the way.

I am very eager/curious to see how it performs.

Top Bottom