What's new

Pipes 101

Hello all! I noticed on the Gentleman's Essentials sticky a bit of a request for pipe information, so I thought (after checking with TimmyBoston) I would provide a bit of my own methodology and experience.

Packing a pipe:
When you get your first briar and choose a tobacco you might like, there is a method described by Richard Carleton Hacker in his Pipesmoking: A 21st Century Guide (great reference book btw; no affiliation, just a pleased and impressed reader):

Feed tobacco into the bowl of the pipe until the bowl is full; Hacker calls this "gravity feeding," meaning just let the tobacco trickle into the bowl until full. Gently tap the sides of the bowl to settle the tobacco down into the bowl a little more. Then, lightly compress the tobacco with your tamper (you'll want one, and a style called a nail tamper - one name for it as it is shaped like a nail - can be bought fairly cheaply). Then, repeat the process, tamping down slightly harder. Lastly, gravity fill the bowl until it is overflowing, and then press down a bit harder. Check your compression by taking a slow draw on the pipe before lighting. If the draw is too difficult (thick milkshake through a straw, cheeks sucking in cartoonishly, these are feelings you don't want) knock the pipe out and repack. You want a moderate amount of draw, but not too much or the pipe will burn "hot," which will cause the smoke to feel too hot in the mouth as well as possibly lead to "hot spots" in the pipe, where the burn is too hot and can ultimately burn through the pipe after time. A well packed pipe will form a cake inside it, where the ash and heat will carbonize the bowl and help cool the tobacco.

Once your have your pipe packed, light the pipe by puffing gently while moving your flame source of choice around the bowl, held a little above the tobacco and letting the inhalation draw the flame onto the tobacco. once lit all the way around, the tobacco will flow up over the bowl's lip. Take your tamper (see, told ya you'd want one) and gently compress the ash below the lip/rim again. this is called a "charring light," and provides a good "platform" as Hacker calls it for the rest of your smoke. Also, don't think that you have to draw hard. Think of it as more of a drink through a straw. Nice and easy will prevent what is commonly called "tongue bite," where the tobacco starts burning hot and gives a burning sensation to the tongue.

Pipes:
Briar is king, as I am sure you've all heard. However, there are alternatives for budgets. Good ole corncob can be an excellent foray into pipes, and can be bought fairly inexpensively at many chain drugstores (CVS, Rite Aid, etc). Of course, Dr. Grabow offers affordable briar pipes, around the $20-$28 dollar mark; I had one, I liked it a good bit, and it only lasted me about a year and a half. I was new though, and it was before I "educated" myself on how to use a pipe well. If you want to go for a more "quality" briar, I have had good experience with my first higher end pipe, which is a Savinelli (again, no affiliation, just a satisfied customer). Peterson, an Irish pipe maker, is another highly recommended company. A good entry level briar from a maker like this can be found in the $65-$85 dollar range. Buying at a pipe shop is ideal, particularly since you can handle the merchandise and the feel of a pipe is something you might want to test before buying, but there are many internet sites that are well respected. One major store with an online side is Iwan Ries, based out of Chicago. They seem to have a pretty solid rep, and sell pipes, tobacco, cigars, and all sorts of tobacco related accessories (no affiliation).

Tobaccos:
Tobacco tends to fall into two broad categories:
English - This is your unflavored tobacco. It tends to be a bit on the robust side, particularly for those who aren't smokers already before coming to the pipe. YMMV on this, obviously, but many new pipe smokers don't care for English blends right away.
Aromatic - These are your "flavored" tobaccos, which are enhanced with flavors that range from subtle to "why does my tobacco taste like a bowl of chocolate ice cream?" Again, YMMV, but many noobs trend toward aromatics. One of my faves is Dan Tobacco's Blue Note, a light vanilla-ish flavor, which is fairly easy to come by at most tobacconists. A good source, as is noted a few other places on the forum, is http://www.tobaccoreviews.com, where you can find various notes from users on how a tobacco rates in flavor, strength, and so on.

Well gents, I hope this helps. Again, I'm no expert and YMMV, but this is just a little info I've picked up over a few years of enjoying the briar that has served me well. Hacker's book is, again, a great place for a good foundation of information, but this little bit can get you started. Thanks for having a glance!

Last edited:

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Very nice post. It makes me want to get my pipe out of storage. Im cigarette free for ohh...8 days now. I could relapse at any minute :)

Good post in general, but I strongly disagree with Hacker's assertion that the 'English' label covers all non-aromatic blends. If you tell someone that only smokes straight virginias that they're smoking an English blend, they're going to assume that what you've been smoking lately is not tobacco. English blends tend to have a significant latakia content, and there are plenty of 'natural' blends that don't. A more accurate broad categorization (one not getting into nuances such as the differences between English, Scottish, and Balkan blends) would be a list containing Virginia, Virginia/Perique, Burley, English, and Aromatic blends as the different 'genres' of tobacco. That said, there are blends that break down walls between each category, so things can get a little tricky at times.

EDIT: While I'm not really a Meerschaum person myself, I believe that you should have mentioned them as they have a dedicated fan base that swear by them.

Last edited:

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Not a bad start. Many times I've considered, and a couple times I've actually started writing up an Gentleman's Essentials article on pipe smoking, but the topic is a vast one and I got weighed down thinking about distilling it down to a manageable chunk of information.

I'm planning on a gentleman's essentials article on pipe smoking which will hopefully be up soon if I can find time. I think you can distill it down to a reasonable amount of information in a given post given that they primarily seem to want a thread on how to pack a pipe. Of course it's only reasonable to expand from there into tobacco types, etc.

Here's some good info about the different tobacco types

1. Aromatics: usually contain burley, cavendishes and 'casing' (flavoring), and may also have a little virginia. Aromatics are the good-smelling tobaccos that remind you of your Grandfather. They're a good place to start. Some people move from aromatics to virginias and to english blends as soon as possible; others never stop with the aromatics. I'm a die hard aromatics guy. I like mixed fruity drinks and soda pop and coffee with cream and sugar. You can find many different versions, some really pungent, some not so much; but keep in mind that the way it smells does not always equate to the way it tastes. One more thing: aromatics are the ones to smoke if you want to impress the people around you.

2. Virginias: usually contain, well, Virginia tobacco, often with some perique. Virginias remind me of campfires. They have a natural sweetness to them, but no added flavor. I equate them with beer and coffee with cream but no sugar. Sometimes there's some perique in there, which is a spicy tobacco from Louisiana, I believe.

3. English Blends: contain Virginias and Latakia, among other things. Latakia (pronounced latta-KEE-a) is a smoke-cured tobacco, often from Syria or Cyprus. To me it smells like a spice rack or indian leather. This is the hard stuff - like whiskey or black coffee.

Good post in general, but I strongly disagree with Hacker's assertion that the 'English' label covers all non-aromatic blends.

This seems to be a recent phenomenon; his assertion was accurate when he wrote his book. Back when I started there were really only two buckets that blends were categorized as, "English" and "Aromatic", and the "English" category did include non-aromatic Virginias and Burleys. Back then you had american aromatics in the bulk jars and the stuff from Dunhill and Rattrays and Sobranie etc in those tins on the shelf (and occasionally in the expensive bulk jars) were the "Englishes", no matter if they had latakia or not, be it Cope's Escudo, Dunhill 965, Sobranie Original Mixture or Virginia Flake, Rattray Black Mallory, Red Rapparee or Marlin Flake, because they were all from England. It's only recently (last 15 yrs or so) that I've really started to see the pigeonholing of blends into different categories and subcategories (and sub-sub-categories). I suspect the old two-category system worked well when all you had to worry about was the stuff at your local B&M; it didn't work so well once the internet gave us access to many hundreds of blends.

Unfortunately I don't think the new classification scheme does much better than the old one, it tries to be more precise but it's rife with inconsistencies and contradictions. I find it pretty funny that the definitive Balkan blend (Balkan Sobranie Original Mixture) doesn't meet the modern style guidelines for a Balkan; it should be classified as either a "Scottish" because of the significant Cavendish component or an "Oriental" because of the high Yenidge content, and because it doesn't really have enough latakia (syrian or cyprian) to be considered a Balkan in the modern definition. A blend is considered "Scottish" if it's got unflavored cavendish in it - Black Mallory is considered an exemplar of this style, while the very similar Dunhill 965 (also lots of cavendish) is considered one of the definitive English blends. Probably because 965 is often the first latakia blend a new pipester encounters, so that one sticks in his mind as The English Blend. Mind you, the reason it's so often recommended as the first latakia blend is because of all that cavendish in there which eases a beginner's transition away from cavendish-based aromatics.

Then there's the arguments over English vs Balkan vs Oriental; an English blend is Latakia plus Virginias, a Balkan is an English plus Turkish and a little bit of Balkan tobaccos, an Oriental is a Balkan plus lots of Balkan tobaccos, sometimes minus the Latakia. Ironically in the modern classification scheme the sorts of blends that are classified as "Balkan" generally contain very little tobaccos from the Balkan region, too much Balkan tobacco actually disqualifies a blend from being considered a Balkan.

Last edited:
Good post in general, but I strongly disagree with Hacker's assertion that the 'English' label covers all non-aromatic blends. If you tell someone that only smokes straight virginias that they're smoking an English blend, they're going to assume that what you've been smoking lately is not tobacco. English blends tend to have a significant latakia content, and there are plenty of 'natural' blends that don't. A more accurate broad categorization (one not getting into nuances such as the differences between English, Scottish, and Balkan blends) would be a list containing Virginia, Virginia/Perique, Burley, English, and Aromatic blends as the different 'genres' of tobacco. That said, there are blends that break down walls between each category, so things can get a little tricky at times.

EDIT: While I'm not really a Meerschaum person myself, I believe that you should have mentioned them as they have a dedicated fan base that swear by them.

All good points GeoDude. My definition of English was mine, not Hacker's, which is something I should have made clear; and you're right, I should have mentioned meerschaum! :blushing:

Thanks for the feedback all. I was just going for something to scratch the surface, as the topic is, as several have pointed out, VAST. Also, these are just my own limited experiences with the pipe, so it was of course a limited POV. I'm glad this has gotten some feedback and fleshing out though. Thanks all of you for having a look.

Thanks for the info.

I'm just thinking of making the change from cigarettes to a pipe (or 2), so I'm doing lots of reading just now...both here and at smokingforums.co.uk

I like the idea of the aromatics (my maternal grandfather was always surrounded by a cloud of black cherry flavoured smoke!), but I'm probably going to need something with a higher nicotine content if I'm going to replace the 30 a day cig habit :scared:...would that be more in the realm of the "english" blends?

Some english blends have high nicotine content, but generally they're pretty low. The oriental leaf used in english blends tends to be quite low in nicotine, and the curing process that turns it into latakia supposedly reduces the nicotine content even more. The tobacco varieties with high nicotine content include burley and perique. That black cherry cavendish your grandfather smoked would likely have been mostly burley, and would have had a high nicotine content.

I dislike the effect of nicotine so I generally stick with english/oriental blends and stay away from burley, but I'm sure some of the other guys will chime in here shortly with some suggestions. There are some burley blends out there that will make even experienced cigarette smokers green.

Also FYI, despite their nice smell, the casing generally doesn't provide any taste, it's just aroma. Any flavor has to come from the tobacco itself, and the sorts of burley used to make the bulk aromatics just doesn't have much taste. The better aromatics use more flavorful burley and virginias, but cost more $$.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.

I'm just thinking of making the change from cigarettes to a pipe (or 2), so I'm doing lots of reading just now...both here and at smokingforums.co.uk

I like the idea of the aromatics (my maternal grandfather was always surrounded by a cloud of black cherry flavoured smoke!), but I'm probably going to need something with a higher nicotine content if I'm going to replace the 30 a day cig habit :scared:...would that be more in the realm of the "english" blends?

If you want a sweeter tobac with aromatic qualities AND nicotine you want Lakeland scented flakes. Some are very floral so if that's intimidating or disconcerting be aware of them. A good place to start would be Gawith & Hoggarth's Rum flake and Bobs chocolate flake. They are both very nice, have a pleasant room note and a reasonable amount of nicotine. Samuel Gawith makes a blackberry and cognac flake called Firedance that may give you that fruity quality you mentioned earlier while still being satisfying, and it actually tastes like blackberry. Make sure that's what you want though because most berry/fruity aromatics will seriously flavor a pipe. Some of the floral offerings from both houses carry a heavy nic punch and I really like them, however for many it is a love it or hate it kind of thing. Fortunately every thing I mentioned is available in bulk so can be bought by the ounce for sampling. There are plenty of unscented flakes from the same blending houses as well.

I, myself, came to the pipe from smoking 2-3 packs a day of Pall Malls habit so I understand the need for a satisfying smoke while making the transition.

Just randomly came across this old thread...

...and learned that I've been reading it all wrong. I thought it was "luh-TOCK-ee-uh".

I've seen it pronounced both ways by various people in various youtube vids... I'm not sure which (or if) there is a "correct" pronunciation at this point. lol

Top Bottom