What's new

A granite shaving bowl

This attractive stone bowl, gleaming with flecks of mica, caught my eye on Kappabashi, the famed "kitchen supply street" in Tokyo. Cost me 2100 yen. Measures 5 1/2 inches across and 2 1/2 inches deep. The surface is just a bit rough - great for building lather. Weighing in at 3 lbs, it just sits there and doesn't need to be steadied as I twirl the brush. Best of all, after soaking in hot water, it retains heat while I do my three canonical passes. Is this the ultimate shaving bowl? Well, the search continues, but this one is a strong candidate...

This attractive stone bowl, gleaming with flecks of mica, caught my eye on Kappabashi, the famed "kitchen supply street" in Tokyo. Cost me 2100 yen. Measures 5 1/2 inches across and 2 1/2 inches deep. The surface is just a bit rough - great for building lather. Weighing in at 3 lbs, it just sits there and doesn't need to be steadied as I twirl the brush. Best of all, after soaking in hot water, it retains heat while I do my three canonical passes. Is this the ultimate shaving bowl? Well, the search continues, but this one is a strong candidate...

What will be the rate of attrition of your brushes on this abrasive surface? :)

Looks good though.

K

Very nice looking, and I'm sure it retains the heat great. I'd have to side with those wondering how it will treat the brushes though.

I appreciate the feedback. I did think about abrasion before putting my money down, but decided that the surface was not that rough. Still, I will keep an eye on those precious knots! All my brushes are home-made, so I am super motivated to keep them in good shape.

Oh man, what a beautiful bowl. This paired with a nice boar just sounds lovely. Enjoy it in good health!!

Beautiful bowl and from my knothole perfect dimensions.

I'm on the hunt for something like that and have been using either a 18oz latte cup or a stainless sierra cup, the later of which has the same measurements as your bowl.

I agree with a few earlier posts. These bowls are made for grinding spices , dry herbs, etc. They are very rough. Seems like it would be hard on a brush.

A little texture for traction is helpful, but these are rough. I've seen Mexican grinding bowls that are even more textured.

Good looking bowl of lather though

I agree with a few earlier posts. These bowls are made for grinding spices , dry herbs, etc. They are very rough. Seems like it would be hard on a brush.

A little texture for traction is helpful, but these are rough. I've seen Mexican grinding bowls that are even more textured.

Good looking bowl of lather though

This is not a grinding/mortar bowl. It's intended for serving some traditional Japanese soup or hot pot dish. So the inside surface is fairly smooth. I can't be certain, but it seems to me that once you get the smallest amount of foaming going, the brush hairs don't contact the bowl at all, but float on a layer of lather. In any case, I appreciate the comments and will certainly keep an eye on my brushes as I use this bowl.

The bowl looks fantastic and it is great that it is heavy enough to stay put while you build lather. Enjoy!

I really like your bowl! I use a soapstone bowl I carved myself it is amazing! The heat transfer is great and its heavy it just sits there. Do your face a favor get a soapstone bowl or even better make your own. I have made lots they all work great. There is no brush wear.

Top Bottom